Hydraulic Front Landing Gear Issue

slborba

I just bought a 2007 Heartland Landmark Monticello and have an issue with the hydraulic front landing gear issue.
As I push the "extract" part of the switch the landing gear goes down, as I push the "retract" part of the switch the landing gear goes down. I cannot get the landing gear to extract (go up). The landing gear is now almost completely retracted, too low for me to get it on the hitch and take to a dealership.
This is my first time pulling a fifth wheel - I've always been a Class C owner. I did a stupid newbie mistake and drove off after I unhitched everything, but.....the emergency break-away switch....that got pulled out. I replaced it. Could that have done something to the landing gear?
Thank you in advance for any/all help.
Steve

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
As long as you can retract the front landing gear you can always get a couple of bottle jacks under the front frame to raise your rig so that you can hitch up.
If you have hydraulics, it sounds like there may be a stuck valve, or the switch is bad and not sending the correct signal.
Hopefully someone with knowledge of that particular rig will chime in and have some helpful information for you.

Peace
Dave

hoefler

The switch is toast, pull it out and go to an autoparts store for a replacement. Before disconnecting the wires, take a picture.

slborba

Dave: Thanks. Funny thing is that it extracted find when I lifted it from the hitch area --- after that it only would retract. I'm not a hydraulics guy, but I guess I better start learning fast.

Steve

Garypowell

Part of the problem of me fully understanding is just like when Linda says "please turn the a/c down". But no matter I believe I understand that your pin is lower than the hitch.

I would get two bottle jacks and then jack up the front as high as they can go. Then take wood and put it under the frame being carefully not to put it under any lines etc.

then back lack off the jacks and let the unit sit on the wood braces.

Then put put wood under the jacks and jack up again then brace again and continue till the jacks can just barely move the rig to the right height.

Then hook up.

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THIS PROCESS CAN BE REALLY DANGEROUS!

i would not use a single stack of wood and brace the wheels really well. Since you have to "push the unit backwards" while you hitch you want to have lots of bracing so you have some braces lest if one stack gets knocked over.

AND really make sure the jaws are closed on the hitch and don't remove all of the wood before you do the pull test.

Good luck.

TedS

From another post about the landing gear switch, I recall the suggestion to 'borrow' the switch from the stabilizing jacks and replacing the bad landing gear switch with it.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Be sure there is fluid in the reservoir. The fluid is transmission fluid. If the fluid is low you may have a leak. Also there are circuit breakers that auto reset that are located in the battery compartment. You can manually operate the jacks by looking at the rear of the hydraulic motor. You will see a fitting that you can put a socket in to operate it with an electric drill. Hope this gives you some direction. If all else fails you can raise the from of the RV using bottle jacks under the frame at the front. Good luck.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would use the words "extend and retract" instead. At least thats what my switch states.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
My Cyclone will settle a little before beginning to raise up. Extend and retract changes which side of the ram gets pressure. Are you, perhaps, being impatient when you hit the extend button? I'm not talking about a long delay but it is noticeable that the rig moves down first.

slborba

Neale: Thanks for the input. As I held down the Extend switch it would only go down; it wasn't going up even when I held it for about 5 seconds. I'm going to check the reversing solenoid and switch the wires (as suggested by another reader) and if that works then I need to replace the reversing solenoid. I'll post what the problem is and how I fixed it in case this happens to someone else.
Steve

slborba

Hydraulic Front Landing Gear Issue - FIGURED IT OUT!!

FIXED! Operator error! I kept messing with the hydraulic controls and realized I had one of the "switches" in the wrong direction. OK.....yes I know.....I'm a newbie on this system and it shows.....
Thank you to everyone above that did their best to help me.

Steve Borba