Storing - Dealing with Humidity in RV

Hogladyrider

Not sure where to post this, so many choices on the Forum, but we reside full time here in Central Florida, Howey In The Hills, FL and we are part time RVrs. Our Big Horn is parked in our back yard when not in use and I use hanging damp rid in our RV thruout the year to combat the humidity and it must be changed every two weeks. I use two in the bedroom one in the kitchen and 3 in the living room and it still does not seem to be "enough" to combat the mold that will appear on the cabinet doors. Excuse the rambling long paragraph but I experience difficulty posting on the Forum not sure what I am doing wrong but I can not start a new paragraph :-(. Has anyone used a dehumidifier in their RV when it is not in use? We do leave our RV plugged in however it is not an option for us to leave the AC running. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may offer. Susan

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've thought about leaving a dehumidifier in the shower and allow it to drain into the grey tank. You would have to hook a drain line to the reservoir of the dehumidifier. You might even consider a long enough drain line to route the line out a corner of a slide out. A braided 3/8" poly tube should be sufficient and not kink going through the slide seals.
Just my thoughts:confused:

CarterKraft

I am not sure the reason for the paragraph issue but I had the same problem and switching to the "Chrome" browser fixed it. Sorry that's all I have to offer for that.

As to the humidity I have thought if humidity becomes a problem for me I electric dehumidifer might be a good solution, it would have to be one with a drain line though as suggested above.

A quick Amazon search shows some Frigidaire units that get great reviews, 30, 50 and 70 Quart units with external drains and many Auto features.
[h=1][/h]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AU7GYXA

Hogladyrider

We were given as a gift just this past week, DryWave air dryer "helps prevent mold and mildew in enclosed spaces" by www.ironwoodpacific.com. There is no drain pan to empty. We will give it a try and wee how it works. The box states that it is effective for spaces up to 1,000 cubic feet.

I will try it in addition to the hanging damp rid which works great. The description that came oh the DryWave states: "gently warm and dries the air to prevent the formation of ml an mildew on wall surfaces, ideal for boats, RVs, cabins and homes, thermal cutoff switch prevents overheating, energy efficient draws the same power as common household light bulb.

I never imagined I would be running my house AC in December here in Florida, temps in the upper 80's with humidity, guess it is better than freezing!
Susan

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
That's an interesting device. Please be sure to come back with a report.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

shelsay

Living near the ocean, high humidity is a given. Recently we purchased an ArcticAire dehumidifier, and are quite pleased with it. It is a 70 pint model--larger than needed, but at the time it was on sale and cheaper than a smaller unit. Nor more musty smell in the RV. We placed it in the bathroom and let it drain into the shower. Only real downside to this unit is that it is quite heavy and awkward to remove when we want to use the RV.

Pat

TedS

You may want to get some air circulation going through the trailer. Counterintuitive to exchange inside and outside air.

Garypowell

Interesting to read this post. We store our unit in Rockledge, FL for 2 - 3 months at a time with no mold or mildew problem. I am in it at least once a week working on something and run the a/c with small generator if hot enough outside. But if too cool I always turn on the fans and leave the door open but have never had a mold problem.

I wonder if there is a source of moisture (like sprinkler system) that could be the source of the problem?

donr827

We live in Southeast Florida. We keep our Bighorn in a storage lot. I keep the air vents in the roof open and the fridge door open. Have never had any mold or mildew problems.
Don

CeeCee99

I want to add a note about my dehumidifier research. Some Soleus/Kenmore units were recalled last year due to fire hazard, according to Consumer Reports. They problem may be fixed by now. Humid outdoors, cool outdoors, running propane heat, number of people all add humidity as far as I have read. I will try to have a dehumidifier or absorbant pellets at all times. What have you all had best luck with?

TheLindsays

We don't have an issue either.. I leave the fridge doors open and wiped dry... if I don't get it totally dry I have an issue but otherwise nothing... maybe you have a drippy sink adding moisture? .. ours is parked in our yard with no cover.. sits for several weeks without being opened up sometimes.

We have the opposite problem in Rapid City, SD....we are very dry. Is it safe to use a small humidifier and how bad is it for the trailer to get very dry?