I don't understand

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I don't understand why a 1 ton truck (F350, D3500 or C3500) is call a 1 ton truck when they are rated to haul 5000 pounds. I thought 1 ton was 2000 pounds.

ParkIt

Haven't thought about the formula for quite awhile but I think its payload capacity plus tow rate.
Unfortunately its never been a linear formula.

iawoody2

I have always heard that goes back to 40s or 50s. Trucks were actually 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, or 1 ton by payload.

GOTTOYS

They used to be called one ton trucks thus the name has stuck with them. Now they are called 3500's or 350's....Don

jbeletti

From Wikipedia (link) - "likely" accurate and similar to the way I've heard it explained in the past:

Ton rating
When light-duty trucks were first produced in the United States, they were rated by their payload capacity in tons (e.g., 1⁄2-, 3⁄4- and 1-ton). Over time, payload capacities for most domestic pickup trucks have increased while the ton titles have stayed the same. The now-imprecise ton rating is presently used to compare standard sizes, rather than actual capacities.

This has led to categorizing trucks similarly, even if their payload is different. Therefore, the Ford Ranger, Chevrolet S-10, and GMC S-15 are called quarter-tons (1⁄4-ton). The Ford F-150, Chevrolet 10, Chevrolet/GMC 1500, and Dodge 1500 are half-tons (1⁄2-ton). The Ford F-250, Chevrolet 20, Chevrolet/GMC 2500, and Dodge 2500 are three-quarter-tons (3⁄4-ton). Chevrolet/GMC's 3⁄4-ton suspension systems were further divided into light and heavy-duty, differentiated by 5-lug and 6 or 8-lug wheel hubs depending on year, respectively. The Ford F-350, Chevrolet 30, Chevrolet/GMC 3500, and Dodge 3500 are one tons (1-ton).

Similar schemes exist for vans and SUVs (e.g. a 1-ton Dodge Van or a 1⁄2-ton GMC Suburban), medium duty trucks (e.g. the Ford 1 1⁄2-ton F-450) and some military vehicles, like the ubiquitous deuce-and-a-half.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
From Wikipedia (link) - "likely" accurate and similar to the way I've heard it explained in the past:

Sure seems screwy to me. Thanks for the explanation though. Guess I will just refer to my Ford Truck as the 350 or three and a half

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and 1 ton are marketing terms. They refer to the weight of the cash needed to purchase them. For a dually, it's 1 ton times 2. :)

priorguy

Good one JonDar. And why is my 28' travel trailer actually 33' long. And some 26' and 30' trailers within inches of actual length.

I guess marketing people don't know how to measure anything or use a scale.

BTW my 1/2 ton truck is rated for over 3/4 ton in the box and could have been factory optioned up to 1 full ton. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marvmarcy

FWIW: The first digit of the series generally places the truck in a weight class; i.e., a 100/150 or 1000/1500 is in class 1. Above class 5 the numbers often don't correlate with the class and the term "ton" is generally not used. To add to the confusion, in some states a vehicle can be titled and registered for less than the mfrs declared gvw; i.e., a class 7 truck can be titled and licensed for 20,000# gvw, even though the axles are rated for 35,000+# and the mfr's gvwr is 32,000#. Such a truck could legally weigh only up to its licensed gvwr but no more.