Help! Practical Towing Capacity

P

pjheg

I really like the North Trail trailers. But, I’m new to this and trying to determine how big a travel trailer (TT) I can safely tow with my SUV (TV). The info I’ve seen is a bit confusing. I’d really appreciate input from an experienced source I can rely on.

My TV particulars:
- 2007 Toyota Sequoia Ltd; 4.7L V8 273 HP; 4.10, with towing package. Curb wt 5140#; GWVR 6600#; GCWR 11,800#; GAWR (Axel) - Front 3160#; Rear 3900#; max hitch weight 650#; wheelbase 118”. Stated towing capacity: 6500# with a weight-distribution hitch.
- My estimated actual GVW is 6320# (curb 5140#+two people 330#+misc cargo 200#, and assumed max tongue wt. 650#.

I’ve been told the primary relevant number is the TV’s 6500# towing capacity; that we can tow a TT of 4500# dry wt (+/- 5500# loaded) with a weight distribution hitch and still be safely under the limit for our TV. This gives me a 1000# safety margin on paper.

HOWEVER, in viewing forum trailer limit discussions, I see references of “the 80% rule” to be safest, but it’s unclear as to how it is applied. Questions: Is this rule-of-thumb valid? If so, is it applied to the GCWR (TV+TT) or the GVWR of the trailer (TT only)? For our situation:
- 80% of the TV 6500# towing capacity yields a 5200# TT est. GVW (i.e., a TT dry wt of 4200# + 1000# cargo).
- 80% of the 11800# GCWR is 9440#, and subtracting our est. 6320# TV GVW, yields a 3120# TT est. GVW (i.e. like only a tent trailer)

Big difference! What is our practical limit with this TV? We don’t want to be pulling up a grade at 25 MPH. Thanks very much.:confused:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Let's give this a whirl! To be honest, I've never heard of the 80% rule. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist though. I think the majority of us pulling trailers are close to, at or over the capacity of the vehicle. One of the biggest concerns in my opinion is braking ability. There may be some hills that will slow you down considerably going up but you have to be able to slow down or stop on the other side. Ask the dealer if you can take a trailer out for a test tow before committing to the sale. Any good dealer should allow this. See how it feels with the weight back there. You will need a good brake controller too. Good luck with you decision.

ct0218

Never heard of the 80% rule either. It is so easy to add a lot of extra gear, thus weight, to a trailer, and that is probably where most people get into trouble. Carrying water really adds up fast too. I would suggest weighing the trailer and not relying on guesstimates since the smaller you get, the more important it is to be accurate. Then, when you have that missing link, you can make the decision.

P

pjheg

Thanks Ray. Good suggestion. Will see how it flies with the dealer.

campntn

Well, FIRST off: WELCOME TO Heartland Owners!!
Now, to the questions;
Bottom line is towing capacity and YOUR comfort level. Get the VIN, call your vehicle dealership, give em the VIN and they can tell you exactly what the towing capacity is for that VIN. Mine did. Not a roundabout, but an actualy tow capacity.
Once you get your max tow capacity, then you can start looking at trailers that fall into that capacity unless you want to upsize in tv's.
The 80% rule is not a "standard" or "valid". You might hear some say that the tow capacity itself is calcualated using the 80% rule; in other words, technically you could go over the tow capacity because the manufacturer of the vehicle already included the 80%.
Then, do online research and find a trailer that falls in your capacity, (adding 1000 lbs for your contents), then go to a dealership, as for a test tow and hook up and pull that badboy. Take it to parking lots, wherever you imagine you might go if you owned it. Go to a campground, back it in. Go to a Walmart parking lot and drive around and find a parking space like you owned it and had to go in and get some steaks and run back out and stick em in the fridge. Find a steep hill, get on a busy interstate, let the 18wheelers blow by and see if it sways.
Anticipate and duplicate your ownership before you ever even start talking much about purchasing any trailer.
You are VERY wise to research this first. Many a new camper owner has been talked into buying too much for their TV, by a less than honorable dealer. Working on commission, they might tell you that you can pull that TT with a VW bug, but in fact, it's simply too much and in the end your out a tranny, motor or worse involved in an accident due to the mismatch.
So, again, welcome here, get your vin and enjoy the hunt.
Should you decide on a North Trail, I can assure you that you will love it.
So far, we love ours. :)
Mark