Heating vent in bathroom

KRCyclone

During our camping trip over Thanksgiving weekend we used the heat for the first time. Everything worked great except there was way too much hot air coming from the bathroom vent. Is it possible to put a vent cover on to restrict the air flow or do I need to change the duct with another going somewhere else?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thanks I will look into that. I was concerned about creating too much heat by restricting the air flow.

I changed all of our floor vents to the metal adjustable kind a couple of years ago. There isn't a problem of creating too much heat anywhere. By shutting down the bedroom vent and restricting the bathroom vent, as well as the one midship in the kitchen, I can get a bit more heat to the rear of the rig. And the bedroom isn't a sauna.

danemayer

A lot of people partially restrict airflow, but Suburban warns against restricting flow or covering vents.

If you don't let enough hot air out of the furnace, the over-temperature safety sensor may activate shutting off the burner. If it repeatedly activates, you may end up with a weakened sensor and an expensive service call to replace it.

Also, if you constantly create an over-temperature condition inside the furnace and the sensor should ever fail to open, you could have a very serious problem.

If your furnace only runs occasionally, maybe the risk is low. If your furnace runs a lot, the risk of having a problem might be higher.

So, if you do this, make a note to yourself in case you start having furnace problems down the road.

marvmarcy

After reading this thread, I got an adjustable grill at Lowes. It helps immensely. Now the bath is still warm but not hot and the living room gets warmer. The furnace isn't overheating.