furnace problem and propane regulator

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
I am having issues with my furnace coming on, it seems to have a mind of it's own.
Since we are boondocking in the desert and me not wanting to pack it in and take it in, I am trying to trouble shoot it myself.
So far I am not getting anywhere fast.
I am trying to eliminate possible causes one at a time.
My question is... When the furnace is trying to light, I hear a pulseing sound in the regulator. Is this normal? After 3 attempts, it quits trying.
When the stove or the fridge or water heater is on you can hear the gas flowing without the pulsing sound.
Any thoughts?

Pizzaguy

It sounds like a bad regulator or a partly closed OPD on the LP tank. I had a bad regulator on my last one that did the same thing. One thing you could try is to shut off your tank, wait a few minutes, then try to SLOWLY turn the tank back on. I have seen the OPD on the tank partially close if the tank was opened too fast also. Good Luck and let us know what you find out.

danemayer

Hi Bret,

By now you've probably figured out that the safety design allows for 3 unsuccessful ignition attempts followed by a lockout until you turn off the thermostat and turn it back on. Low propane flow/pressure to the furnace is probably the most common cause of furnace failure to ignite.

I've never heard pulsing sounds at the regulator, but that does sound like a clue that the regulator isn't passing enough propane.

Things to try:

• Close the tank valves, wait about 20 seconds and open each valve VERY slowly to make sure the overflow protection device doesn't get triggered.
  • Try the furnace again. If you still have a problem,
  • Switch the regulator to the other tank.
  • Try the furnace again. If you still have a problem,
  • Close the tank valves, remove the auto-changeover regulator and disconnect the hose that comes out of the bottom, connecting to the feed into the RV. Hang it down to drain any oil in the line. (You'll need LP teflon tape to put it back together without leaks, so make sure you have that on hand first - don't using plumbing teflon tape. And don't disassemble without tape on hand - you don't want to have a propane leak.)
  • If none of this helps, you can either start replacing parts, probably starting with the regulator, or you can get the LP pressure checked for 11 inches of water column pressure at the service port of the furnace. That would tell you definitively if you have low pressure at the furnace.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Crazy thing is, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Usually doesn't when I want it to.
Tomorrow's project!
Thanks!

i just had a similiar problem and it turned out to be the line going to the tank.Those lines dont seem to last long.Good luck and hope this helps.Joel