looking for positive and negative comments

danemayer

Hi movercast,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. This is a great place to get answers to your questions and I'm sure 2100XC owners will chime in with opinions shortly.

We have the Splendide stacked washer/dryer units and really like them. Having a washer/dryer is a great convenience.

thibideau

We installed a Splendide washer/dryer combo in our unit at the end of camping season. Looking forward using next camping season. We are usually away for 4-6 weeks at a time and believe it will be an asset

dave10a

We had a Splendide in our motor home and used it 10 years. It is reliable but the combo unit take a long time to dry as compared to our stacked unit-- which is a Splendide as well.

MTPockets

I know folks that have them on board like them, and 'maybe' we would if we had them, but We purposefully ordered our unit with no washer/dryer. We have found that doing two weeks of laundry at a laundromat in 3 hrs or less time, (wash dry fold) far exceeds the numerous loads and smaller open work space at home. Two weeks worth of "zero" laundry is well worth it for us.

Garypowell

We currently have one. The door latch went bad but they quickly replaced it. Well they quickly sent it.....I replaced it!

i have had questions too and their customer service has been excellent.

We travel 2 months on then 2 - 3 off and have used it constantly when on the road and love it. You do have to adjust your thinking to smaller loads as it takes about twice as long to dry clothes w/110v

PUG

Pug
We have had one in our Heartland and moved it to our new Cameo. Wouldn't be without it. Trouble free for 6 years. Takes quite a while to do a combo wash and dry and small loads but if you can dry somewhere else it works much faster.

kowAlski631

We full time & have our Splendide stackable. We're not big fans of spending hours at a laundromat vs throwing a load or 2 in every couple of days. Friends have had the combo unit & allow extra time for the full cycle to complete.

Paul & Martha

Life's too short. Live so you can say "Remember when" not "I wish I had".

Westwind

We have the Splendide combo, it takes a little to get used to the small loads. You do realize that you have to wash every day to keep up, it's easier to do 5 to 6 piece then 12 -14, it will switch automatically to the dry cycle so it can help when your doing other things.
The most important feature is to be sure it is the vented model. A vented one seems to work better and quicker in the drying cycle

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member
We have the combo unit and I am glad we do. I have never liked shlepping my dirty clothes to the Laundromat (no matter how close), hanging around while they wash and dry, folding them on heaven knows what kind of surface that I've tried to cover, and then shlepping them back home.

When we travel we do so for more than a couple of weeks at a time and the on-board washer/dryer is heaven. If we did not spend that much time on the road I would just take my clothes home to wash.

The machines are not without their idiosyncrasies, as many will attest, so adjustments must be made until you are satisfied. I wash and partially dry my clothes and then hang them on a drying rack or hangers to finish. This process "irons" them. If left to dry completely in the machine clothes have too many wrinkles for my taste. Jeans, in particular, require either ironing or hanging on pants stretchers. I always use a high quality liquid softener product.

Because there is no removable/cleanable lint screen, eventually your machine will plug up and stop working. When this happens several lights will flash. Calling Customer Service will get you to someone who will tell you how to clean the machine by putting it though various cycles. I expect this will happen more quickly if you wash mostly cotton garments. It took many years before this happened to us and the majority of our clothes are cotton.

All of this would be too much fiddling for some, but is worth it to me not to have to drag my entire wardrobe when traveling or, heaven forbid, go to the laundromat. If I had room I would consider a stackable unit, but if only room for a single unit I would definitely purchase a combo again.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
We have the combo and find it quite convenient. Leslie will put a load in while she's doing the morning's tidying up. The jeans are usually saved for 1 big load at the laundromat.
I agree that it should be a vented model!

Fonz46

We have had our 2100XC for over two years and have had no problems at all. You have to understand the limitations of a combo unit such as length of time to wash and dry a load, load size limits, and we remove our garments before completely dry to help prevent wrinkling. When the unit goes through the spin cycles you will think its really fast, but its the nature of the beast. The unit weighs about one hundred and fifty pounds due to a heavy weight inside it which helps dampen vibration in the spin cycle. The DW absolutely loves ours and has told me if it ever fails we wouldnt be going rving without it! The one thing I would caution you on, is there are two models, vented and unvented. Be sure and get the vented model and plan to install an external vent on your rig. Makes drying much better.

VKTalley

We opted to not have a washer/dryer onboard (I wanted the extra closet space). I don't mind the trek to the laundry facilities, either in the campground or local laundry mat. I wash and dry at the laundry facilities and do my folding back at our rig. I use the hour or so that I'm waiting on the clothes to either read or work on a crochet project.

danemayer

I should mention that that the stacked units offer some advantages. You can wash and dry at the same time and I think most would agree that the Splendide/Ariston dryer doesn't leave clothes wrinkled nearly as much.

VKTalley

As you can see it's a personal thing and only one person in the couple has the final opinion!

Westwind, you are totally correct! It does come down to personal preference and what is most important to that person or persons.

JanAndBill

As you can see it's a personal thing and only one person in the couple has the final opinion!

We've had the combo unit for a year now, and had no problems. We found out fast that you can only wash a few items at a time, but we've learned to work with that.

Speedy

My biggest problem with the onboard washer/dryers is the vibrations they cause during the spin cycles. They shake the whole coach during that cycle and since you have to do laundry everyday or so I would find it quite annoying. That's with a 6-point leveling system.

happyappy

Let me give you a comparison. It's a lot like Turkey Bacon. If you buy it expecting it to be like "real" bacon...you'll be sorely disappointed. If on the other hand, you buy Turkey Bacon, learn to cook it correctly, and understand it's really a very different breakfast meat...it's pretty good too. :)

I wouldn't be without my splendid washer combo. Like others have said, be sure to get the vented model, understand that you'll have to rethink the way you do laundry, and that during the spin cycle you'll get a good vibration throughout the coach (never know...could make laundry time even more fun for mom and dad!). I typically work out every other day and those clothes do not need to lay around the coach! Or when you are at the beach and change clothes three times a day...it's great to have a way to run a small load of laundry at my convenience.

As others have said, you have to rethink your laundry and do more frequent, smaller loads. I'd forget about doing your King Bed Sheets, comforters, etc. Those go to the laundry mat. But shirts, pants, undies, towels, etc. come out great.

If you like Turkey Bacon...give it a try! ;)

We opted for the combo (vented) to save space and I think it saved us some money too. The minor inconvenience from not being able to wash and dry at the same time is overcome for us in that you don't have to switch the load from one to the other. We travel with a weeks worth of clothes and do a couple of loads twice a week. Had it 6 months now and no issues.