Nose cap failure? 2011 32RL

TxCowboy

I've had my 32RL parked in my back yard for just over a year as business concerns have had me out of town most of that period. Had a warm couple of days here in South Texas so I washed the RV.

The nose cap (end cap) is in horrible shape! Very badly faded but the nose cap seals seem to still be in good shape.

Is there a problem with these nose caps fading on the Greystone series RVs? I surely hope that this fading isn't normal. (This unit as less than 1000 road miles on it so I know it's not from road damage.)

BTW, I purchased the unit new in April 2011. Is this a warranty item?

jimtoo

Hi Jeff,

There have been some instances of the cap fading. Call Heartland Customer Service, 574-262-8030 or 877-262-8032, have your VIN and explain your problem. Not saying they will, but maybe. Let us know how it goes.

Jim M

danemayer

Hi TxCowboy,

On front caps where the color was infused in the gelcoat, there have been some posts about fading. The fix is to have the cap painted.

The warranty against defects is 1 year, so it sounds like you're way past that point. Nevertheless, it's worth a call to Heartland to see if they will help you on an exception basis. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Sorry to hear this!

Just an FYI, this is a problem that has happened to other manufacturers, not just Heartland, so it must have been a bad supplier. I know there is one (some other brand) with the same thing, in my storage facility (in NE Texas). I think it's a 2011 also.

TxCowboy

Hi, all. Thanks for your quick responses.

How has Heartland been responding to this issue? Have they been making this right (as a material defect) or are they considering this "fair wear and tear" which means the RV owner (me, in this case) has to pay for it?

danemayer

From what's been posted, Heartland did help some people who had fading on out-of-warranty 2011 units. But as time marches on, their view might not be the same for a 32 month old RV as for a 20 month old RV.

In general, Heartland paid a modest amount to have the faded cap painted. Regardless of who pays, you'll need to shop to get a reasonable price. Some paint shops are VERY proud of their work and charge as though they are old masters from the renaissance.

I'd suggest calling and asking for Heartland's opinion about the fading; what causes it and what can be done to correct it. Let Customer Service do most of the talking. Perhaps they'll offer to help. If they don't, you might mention that you've seen posts on the Owners Forum that they have paid for painting faded caps for other 2011 owners. If they still don't want to pay, you might ask why they pay for some and not for others.

Keep in mind that warranties are to cover defects. Minor defects. Major defects. All defects. Once warranty expires, warranty has expired. Any help is given on an exception basis.

GOTTOYS

Mine did the same thing. I had it painted 2 years ago. I got estimates as high as $6,000.00 choke, choke. That was from a SOB RV dealer that obviously didn't want the job. It should cost in the $1,000-1,500.00 range for a quality paint job. I had a hard time finding a shop to do the work just because it wouldn't fit in their paint booth. I did find a shop that paints buses and semis that did the job. It turned out okay but far from show quality. At least it took care of the fading. Last year my rear cap started to do the same thing. Rather than go through the hassle again, I treated it myself with ZEP floor finish per some instructions I found on RV Net. The results were very good. Just waiting to see how it looks this Spring. Cost was in the $25.00 range. Well worth it so far...Don

TxCowboy

Will call Customer Service tomorrow and will let you know how it goes. I have no expectation of success as it is now an almost three year old RV but maybe they will view it as an on-going quality defect that have impacted many current owners.

We'll see.

GOTTOYS

Will call Customer Service tomorrow and will let you know how it goes. I have no expectation of success as it is now an almost three year old RV but maybe they will view it as an on-going quality defect that have impacted many current owners.

We'll see.
I might suggest having some pictures ready to send them and your vin # of course...Good luck...Don