Be careful out there!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
These two images of a Road Warrior were found on facebook, apparently from the winter storm last week... Hwy 101 just outside Mt Home Arkansas.

Stay safe out there!

1463328_10152044905190380_33888322_n.jpg1096387_10152039809079381_10152039808739381_32906_443_b.jpg

olcoon

Tony & Erika
I saw this again on FB, and in the comments of the video someone said it was a transport hauler that was pulling the RW.

"that happened Saturday...an Indiana transport company was delivering this camper and slowed down for another vehicle heading North on Hwy 101 .....this is what is commonly called the Schumacher Hill.....he commented that this was the worse stretch of road he encountered since leaving Indiana"

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
The sad part is that trailer will be delivered to some unsuspecting new buyer with who knows what hidden damage and RW will catch all the blame for the coach problems.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Looks like a reportable accident. Could be the transporter's insurance company will be the new owner. Be interesting to follow what happens.

priorguy

Possibly that's an explanation for some other peoples experiences and issues with HL. Once it's out the factory bay door they gave no control over what happens to it, and probably no report either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alex00

I'm wondering why the transport company sent such a small truck to pull that trailer. That looked like a late 90s Ford SRW. I'd be surprised if that truck had a tow rating anywhere close to even the dry weight of the road warrior. I'd like to think a properly equipped truck wouldn't have ended up sliding off the road ruining that trailer. I hope they didn't just dust that trailer off and call it good.

GOTTOYS

I'm wondering why the transport company sent such a small truck to pull that trailer. That looked like a late 90s Ford SRW. I'd be surprised if that truck had a tow rating anywhere close to even the dry weight of the road warrior. I'd like to think a properly equipped truck wouldn't have ended up sliding off the road ruining that trailer. I hope they didn't just dust that trailer off and call it good.
Can't imagine the single rear wheel part had anything to do with it sliding off the road. Two more rear tires and or a heavier set of springs won't make the road any less slippery. Maybe an inexperienced driver, maybe not. That road looks pretty icey...Don

alex00

Can't imagine the single rear wheel part had anything to do with it sliding off the road. Two more rear tires and or a heavier set of springs won't make the road any less slippery. Maybe an inexperienced driver, maybe not. That road looks pretty icey...Don

Good point. I've never towed in snow. If that were me I'd have been chained up at least. I guess my surprise over seeing such a tiny truck hauling that trailer got me thinking it may have contributed to the loss of control in some manner. It was less about the SRW and more about the lack of towing capacity in that truck. Ford didn't offer a truck that could manage the dry weight numbers of that trailer until 2006 or 2007.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Good point. I've never towed in snow. If that were me I'd have been chained up at least. I guess my surprise over seeing such a tiny truck hauling that trailer got me thinking it may have contributed to the loss of control in some manner. It was less about the SRW and more about the lack of towing capacity in that truck. Ford didn't offer a truck that could manage the dry weight numbers of that trailer until 2006 or 2007.
If you have ever driven in icy or snow packed roads you would know that there is no control once you start the slip and slide no matter what you are driving.
The only control would be to not drive in those conditions. I know that I would not.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

If you have ever driven in icy or snow packed roads you would know that there is no control once you start the slip and slide no matter what you are driving.
The only control would be to not drive in those conditions. I know that I would not.

Peace
Dave

Ahha Dave I know what you would do, use the trailer brakes to keep it straight, LOL

olcoon

Back in 2011 @ the National Rally in Goshen, there was a transporter pulling a travel trailer refueling in front of us. When he pulled away he cut too sharp and the tires on the camper hit the island and the camper jumped up in the air probably 3-4'. I wondered what condition it was in when it was delivered. I know when we got ours, there was some damage on the inside caused from the transportation.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I've seen lots of mismatched transport trucks and 5vers/trailers. I don't think the transport company picks the driver to match the coach. I think the driver picks the load, based on the destination he's wanting to go to. Farther = $$$.

priorguy

I've seen online ads. They pay by the mile/km one way from the factory to the dealer. The only requirement is a CDL and a diesel truck. In my area the dealer arranges and pays for everything. Not sure what they'd pay for smaller TT's but from what I saw the 14 hour drive would pay nicely. I could never tow a fiver without upgrading to diesel.

Lynn1130

From the lack of skid marks in the surrounding snow it would appear that the truck could not make it up the slick hill and slid back down into the ditch where the tree stopped the trailer from sliding further into the ditch. Just a guess but I doubt that the size of the truck made as much difference as the lack of chains.

MCTalley

Couple of concerning delivery combinations I've noted were:

1. The Dodge/Ram SRW 2500 pulling a huge Cyclone (4100?) out west (we stopped next to each other at a rest area in eastern Washington state). The rear end of the truck was sagging pretty good. He left before we did and you can tell the motor was really giving it a go getting up to speed. (Also passed us doing faster than our typical 65 MPH before we got to that rest area).

2. Not sure if it was being delivered, but I saw one of the newer luxury fivers (Redwood? Not a Heartland product nor a DRV) hitched to an F-150 and sitting in a gas station. I'm hoping it was a new owner on the way to park/store it until they could trade in the F-150 on a heavy duty pickup. I looked at the website later and their lightest fifth wheel had a dry weight in the 13k range.

olcoon

I've seen online ads. They pay by the mile/km one way from the factory to the dealer. The only requirement is a CDL and a diesel truck. In my area the dealer arranges and pays for everything. Not sure what they'd pay for smaller TT's but from what I saw the 14 hour drive would pay nicely. I could never tow a fiver without upgrading to diesel.

I'll agree, the pay does sound nice, but you've got to remember, that is only one way, you are deadheading on the return trip, unless you are lucky enough to find something to pull in the direction you are needing to go. Also, there are some expenses to take into consideration, fuel, meals, maint. & upkeep on the tow vehicle, insurance (company may take care of that), someplace to sleep on the road. From what I've heard a lot of these guys really don't make that much money, but there has to be something there or they wouldn't be doing it. Also, from what I understand the good ones are on the road all the time. I've never talked to someone who is a transporter, so I don't know for sure how things work. This comment is probably as reliable as anything else on the internet, and just my $.02 worth.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I think Jay/C did some transporting sometime back. Maybe he could enlighten this thread as to the truth about it.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
One other thing of note:

We've read ads for transport drivers and most require the tow vehicle to be five years old or newer.