HD Signal

kimn610

We had a digital cable combo package installed & we were provided a HD DVR box. The main cable line was connected to cable port in the DC. The DVR box was connected to the cable port behind the TV and the Modem was connected to the Cable port under the desk in the Ent. Ctr. The Bedroom TV was connected to the Antenna port. The telephone is connected to the modem directly. I receive TV signal and Internet Signal and Phone. However, the HD signal is running a -13 to -16 db. The installer said that it was due to the daisy chain effect of spitting the signal from the DC to the bedroom then to the entertainment ctr. Has anyone experienced this situation? If so, How do you suggest I boost the TV cable Signal. I was told my choices were to re-wire the Big Horn, or split the signal at the main box and run a cable thru the window to the modem and amplify the signal going to the TV's.

jbeletti

You could install a 10 db CATV amplifier (54-1000 mHz pass band) at the point of entry for the cable. In your case, in the UDC. Usually however, cable signals are strong enough to handle a 4-way split, daisy-chained or not. I think your cable signal is low as those levels at the back of the cable modem do not add up. Unless you are going through a backwards 2-way splitter. The output to input loss is higher than in to out. And the cable signal line in the trailer could be being combined with the over-the-air antenna signal using a backwards 2-way splitter. Unless a Winegard (or other) RF switcher is being used for combining/splitting.

Even better than the amplifier option is the suggestion to home run some of the cabling. Doesn't mean you have to replace cabling but you will have to add some runs and splice some cable where inline splitters are etc.

A tip - don't amplify the signal at the input of the cable modem or a TV set. If the signal is poor there now, you'll end up with a stronger yet still poor signal. You must amplify earlier to compensate for split and cable losses.

Best of luck.

Jim

The RV-Ramblers

BigHorn Owners
Having just having DirectV HD with DVR instslled in our home, I have read a lot about installing satellite receivers. I am assuming that your installation is a satellite receiver and from what I have read, the satellite system does not work very well with a tv cable splitter. I believe that there is such a splitter in the RV system. There can not be a splitter between the satellite dish and the set-top box (STB).

I note that you say that the main cable line is connected to the cable input in the UDC. Try connecting it to the satellite input in the UDC and connect the set-top box in the entertainment center to the satellite jack. This will prohibit viewing the HD signal in the bedroom. If you want HD in the bedroom, I think you may need an additional STB.

bobbyg123

I'm not yet an RV owner, but I do know a lot about satellite TV. The best thing to do is to add an additional jack next to your current SAT/Cable panel and allow the satellite connection to feed directly to your receiver.