Volunteer - Custer State Park

TXTiger

I have an opportunity to volunteer as a Office Assistant at Custer State Park, SD. May thru Sept 2014. There is no pay but you do get a camp site with full hookup in exchange for 24 hours per week. I have never worked camped or volunteered before and would love to hear from those who have, especially if you have done so at Custer, and what experience good or bad they have encountered.

GOTTOYS

I haven't volunteered but if you can bring the Harley along, there are few places in the U.S. that offer better riding than that area...Don

olcoon

Tony,
I think you'll love it! We have work camped twice, once at a private (Jellystone Park) in CO, and after the WY rally in 2012 we volunteered for the USFS in the Medicine Bow National Forest, & it was an awesome experience. Didn't have to deal with too many people, but the ones we met were great! Being a state park, and in that part of the country, it probably will be pretty busy. The great thing about it is that you'll only be working 24 hrs., so that'll give you plenty of time to explore the area. While in CO we worked about 3 ½ days a week, & the rest of the time we were exploring, & seeing some awesome country! Hope it works out for you!

Roy

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Tony, we haven't hosted at Custer SP but are hosting at a Texas state park now. We love it! We've made some good friends here and are enjoying our stay. I am guiding deer hunters in an adjacent part of the park and will continue until the end of January.

We stayed near Custer a couple of years ago and went through the park a few times It looks like a nice place to "work" and I wouldn't hesitate to sign up.

wdk450

Two Toes:
I went through Custer State Park summer of 2012 the week after the Gillette rally (about 150 miles away). Lots to see in the Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Hill
City, Rapid City, Sturgis and even Devil's Tower is within a day trip ride. Glad you don't have a DRW truck - those single lane, granite rock tunnels on the Custer State park roads were a little nerve wracking - I even folded in my mirrors going through one near the West entrance (Hwy 87)!!

Have a great summer!!!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Go for it. It's an experience that you will never forget. Custer State Park is a busy park but in a wonderful area.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Two Toes:
I went through Custer State Park summer of 2012 the week after the Gillette rally (about 150 miles away). Lots to see in the Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Hill
City, Rapid City, Sturgis and even Devil's Tower is within a day trip ride. Glad you don't have a DRW truck - those single lane, granite rock tunnels on the Custer State park roads were a little nerve wracking - I even folded in my mirrors going through one near the West entrance (Hwy 87)!!

Have a great summer!!!
We've been through there and wouldn't hesitate to work camp here sometime. And YES I folded in the mirrors while passing thru.

Attachments

• BPlrs 047.jpg
    BPlrs 047.jpg
    725.8 KB · Views: 93

happykraut

Tony, we've camped in Custer 4 times now and loved it every time and will go back if the opportunity arises. There is so much to see there. The Needles Highway would be a fantastic bike experience. Good luck in your decision.