Major change to California Dually (DRW) and HDT truck laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex00

I wasn't quite sure if I should post this in General or Tow Vehicles, so I'll just leave it right here.

Two new laws in California just made it possible for every private DRW and soon, HDT truck owner to avoid the Motor Carrier Permit (CA Numbers on the truck) process.

First a little background: Nearly every DRW truck in California is not statutorily defined as a pickup. A "pickup" in California is under 11,500 pounds, has a bed, and unladen weighs less than 8, pounds. Every commercial vehicle with GVWR over 10,000 pounds has to stop at scales except pickups. This means that your typical F350 DRW or Ram 3500 technically must stop at the scales, since they are not "pickups" in California. Enter the Motor Carrier Permit (MCP) process. The MCP law requires any vehicle, used for hire, or NOT, over 10,000 pounds to register. Statutorily defined pickup trucks are exempt from MCP. This means that DRW trucks need CA numbers on the side, and have to stop at scales. The $35 a year fee for the MCP is not a deal breaker for most. The problem is that MCP requires $750,000 in insurance. It also subjects the permit holder to the BIT (CHP inspection program) at your "terminal".

Under current law, if you are pulling an RV trailer, you are exempt. As soon as you unhook you are subject to MCP.

Here is where it gets awesome! Two bills made it through to law, AB 501 and AB 529. Both bills needed to pass for the good parts of each bill to go into effect. They both did. AB 501 changed the current law to exempt trucks under 16,001 pounds from the MCP, as long as they are not pulling a trailer (remember RV trailers are already exempt), and not used for commercial purpose. This means nearly every DRW truck on the road, up to some 4500s is exempt. AB 501 is going to expire on January 1, 2016.

AB 529 will take effect January 1, 2016 and increased the weight to 26,001 for single rear axle trucks. The laws also added watercraft trailers to the exempt trailer list.

This may not seem like a big deal, but it just opened the door for every DRW owner to breathe a sigh of relief. Every time you drove a DRW without a trailer, and no CA numbers you were risking getting pulled over and cited for a hefty commercial vehicle fine. Most people never ran into this problem, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. The bigger deal is that it opens the legal door to HDTs in California. I know a few members posted about getting HDTs but were turned off since there were few legal ways to drive them unhitched from the trailer.

Scroll down to section 5.5 - http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140AB501

Scroll down to section 14 - http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140AB529

Current Law - https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d14_85/vc34601.htm

DesertThumper

I was wondering about a law with a truck weighing over 12, 000 lbs such as a dually. The registration even says commercial as the type of vehicle.

You actually made it clear for me now with a concern I had after I made my purchase but I just ignored it. Just like the class a nc law, they are so invisible to all of us unless someone like you or anyone knowledgeable to constructively inform us.

The dmv needs to do a better job with mailer updates. On the other hand, I'm glad the update provided for this unknown and or unfamiliar law by you allows us to be re-educated and to put all of us at ease again.

I appreciate your efforts with taking the time to post it. Your a valuable asset to heartland, to all of us and thanks.

Al

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
With all of the 'screwie' IMHO laws in California now wonder they are having fiscal issues. It is not so complicated in Texas.

scottyb

The impressive thing is, that CA legislature is passing a law that makes sense and conforms with the rest of the country.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
With all of the 'screwie' IMHO laws in California now wonder they are having fiscal issues. It is not so complicated in Texas.

Boy am I glad my truck is now registered in Utah. Life is much simpler there as well. Trace

Last edited:

wdk450

I assume our California 1 ton trucks will still be somehow classed as "commercial" vehicles. My DMV fees on a 9 year old truck were just about $400 last year.

alex00

I assume our California 1 ton trucks will still be somehow classed as "commercial" vehicles. My DMV fees on a 9 year old truck were just about $400 last year.
Bill, this does nothing to change our reg fees. We are still going to pay out the ying yang for our one tons. The only thing we get to avoid is the MCP fee, and all the headaches associated with it (Insurance, CHP Terminal Inspections, CA numbers/DOT Numbers). The people that will really benefit are those looking at MDT and HDTs in the next two years.

One thing I noticed about the law was that it seemed to redefine "commercial vehicles", but only for that particular section of the vehicle code. I called the CHP commercial office and learned that this will not affect the need to stop at the scales. DRWs over 11,500 GVWR technically need to stop at scales now, and that won't change. I asked how it would work when I roll into a scale without CA numbers and I was told I'd likely be pulled for inspection to determine if I was exempt from MCP.

Personally, I think blowing past a scale in a private DRW would be like going 2 MPH over in the middle lane of the freeway. Can you get stopped and ticketed? Sure. Will we? Doubtful. The sense I got was that CHP doesn't really want their scales clogged up with every DRW truck on the freeway.

I know what you mean about weight fees. It kills me knowing that the 4.10 on my truck costs me several hundred more a year in DMV fees because of the extra GVWR.

DesertThumper

As many say here how less troublesome and fees they deal with outside of CA, our intentions in the near future is for us to move elsewhere where there is less headaches. OMG, I think I have one coming now... CA is driving me nuts. Good info though Alex and Thanks!

dave10a

I am going to spend this summer touring the coastline in California. One of my largest concerns are Cali laws and regulations. I listen the the "Road Dog" on XM and hear what OTR drivers are saying about the regurgitation and it aint nice. Seems like the state is driving many smaller trucker businesses out of state because of regulation and taxes. I keep my ear posted to see how they are treating the RV folks. Thanks for the update on the California regulations they are of concern to me. California is very beautiful state that seems to be run by an asylum. It has changed significantly since I lived there in the 60-70's and I don't think to the better. Where is Governor Reagan when we need him most :)

jmgratz

Seems to me that many of the 'goofy' regulations and laws originated in California. Is there something in the water out there? MHO

wdk450

I think this stopping at scales requirement is just another law written up by the legislature that will not be actively enforced, like the Non-Commercial Class A license and the Motor Carrier Insurance requirements. Of course these type of laws are usually pressed for by the governmental regulatory agencies involved - usually the legislators are too busy and could care less.

taken

CA is not alone. In MA any vehicle with more than 4 tires on the ground must be registered commercial requiring commercial inspection, registration, and insurance. Over on the Ford board there is a member who has been pushing several senators on proposed change to the legislation but no luck so far. It;s a long thread but the last few pages tell where we stand as of now. Very frustrating!
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/912881-commercial-vs-non-com-registrations-in-ma-16.html

alex00

As many say here how less troublesome and fees they deal with outside of CA, our intentions in the near future is for us to move elsewhere where there is less headaches. OMG, I think I have one coming now... CA is driving me nuts. Good info though Alex and Thanks!
We plan to retire out of state someday. I've got at least 13 years and she has a few more than that. I think as soon as we push the youngest out the door on his way to college we will load up the moving vans and head for Montana or Idaho. I've had it up to my ears with CA rules, regs, fees and political silliness. This is the state of "There ought to be a law." Crazy.

alex00

I am going to spend this summer touring the coastline in California. One of my largest concerns are Cali laws and regulations. I listen the the "Road Dog" on XM and hear what OTR drivers are saying about the regurgitation and it aint nice. Seems like the state is driving many smaller trucker businesses out of state because of regulation and taxes. I keep my ear posted to see how they are treating the RV folks. Thanks for the update on the California regulations they are of concern to me. California is very beautiful state that seems to be run by an asylum. It has changed significantly since I lived there in the 60-70's and I don't think to the better. Where is Governor Reagan when we need him most :)
Dave, your operative section of the vehicle code in CA will be VC 34601(G). When you are towing an RV, you are NOT a commercial vehicle. As long as you meet all the licensing requirements of your home state, you will not have any problems. Come enjoy our beautiful state. RVers rarely attract the attention of law enforcement.

alex00

I think this stopping at scales requirement is just another law written up by the legislature that will not be actively enforced, like the Non-Commercial Class A license and the Motor Carrier Insurance requirements. Of course these type of laws are usually pressed for by the governmental regulatory agencies involved - usually the legislators are too busy and could care less.

The problem is that as trucks got bigger, the laws didn't keep up. Once upon a time, one tons were under 11,500 pounds. I agree, I doubt anyone in a plain old one ton will get stopped rolling by the scales. Especially SRW one tons. When I talked to some CHP commercial officers recently they said a bunch of laws came down from the Feds related to trucks. I think we will be seeing a push to keep one tons off the radar at the Federal level.

wdk450

The problem is that as trucks got bigger, the laws didn't keep up. Once upon a time, one tons were under 11,500 pounds. I agree, I doubt anyone in a plain old one ton will get stopped rolling by the scales. Especially SRW one tons. When I talked to some CHP commercial officers recently they said a bunch of laws came down from the Feds related to trucks. I think we will be seeing a push to keep one tons off the radar at the Federal level.

Re: " a bunch of laws came down from the Feds related to trucks." The Feds have a nasty habit of passing these regulations down and then saying "We will cut your Federal Highway Funds if you don't adopt this" to the states. The Federal highway funds in California is a HUGE chunk of money.

jmgratz

Seems like the feds hold that 'we will not give you any federal money" stick over many areas of local government. The lastest is making local Police Department change the color of their cars to Black and White and Sheriff Dept to tan if they want to continue to receive Federal money. What ever happened to local control? Not meant to sound political. Sorry

EandJ

Seems like the feds hold that 'we will not give you any federal money" stick over many areas of local government. The lastest is making local Police Department change the color of their cars to Black and White and Sheriff Dept to tan if they want to continue to receive Federal money. What ever happened to local control? Not meant to sound political. Sorry

Huh, I had heard that Houston PD was doing this. Now I know why. Didn't realize it was due to it being forced down their throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.