Tonneau Cover ??

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We need to remove our rollback cover as the longer pin box on our Landmark has torn up the rails which were added to accommodate the sliding cover.

I am considering the Extang Solid Folding Cover which has no rail system...my concern is when it is folded up in travel mode, it will extend into the truck bed about 32" and be about 4" high off the top of the bed rail...my question...

Does anybody use one of these covers and does it cause any interference when towing the fiver, especially in sharp turns??

http://www.extang.com/docs/solidfold.html

Rrloren

I don't have the extang but mine has 4 folds and only extends about 18" into the bed. It clears the 5th wheel easily . I think mine is an Advance cover and I have had it about 3+ yrs. and it is holding up quite well. The cover up against the cab folds backwards allowing access to my spare fuel tank. Just another option.

azbigfoot

How wide were the Tonneau cover rails? Seems like they should only be a couple inches wide and if so the pin box would be getting awfully close to the side of your truck! I have a rollup tonneau cover (Tonno Pro) and Moryde pinbox on my Landmark and haven't had any problems. Using a Pullrite 2900 Superglide ISR hitch.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Take a look at the G4 Foldacover. I have it and love it. I have scrapped my rails a little but it is still working great.

MTPockets

We have the BakFlip F1 and clears with plenty of room to spare. When folded after unhooking, it sticks up less tha 1/2".

azbigfoot

Hi Ken,

I've done a little more reading about this problem on the web. Is it the plastic pinbox cover ripping up your rails? Could adjusting the height of your hitch or position of the pinbox make a difference. Some folks have even trimmed off a small portion on the back of the pinbox to eliminate the problem (not suggesting to do that but some people have). Anyways I would want to solve the problem of hitting the rails before buying a new cover. Here is a link to a different forum discussing the problem.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24660753/print/true.cfm

kakampers

Thanks for the replies. Our problem comes from the Mor Ryde pin box...apparently it is slightly longer than the regular Lippert pin box...couple that with added rails that are about 3" wide each...BIG problem!! I checked on most of the covers mentioned above, they all appear to be soft covers...we really want a hard cover, which is why we are looking at the Extang Solid Cover.

Unfortunately, the rail on the drivers side is completely destroyed, making the cover totally unusable...a new system is the only answer...

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
kakaampers, what pin box do you have? Tri Glide?
I had the same problem and the only wasy I found to end it was to change the angle of the pin by remounting the Trail Air a bit to the rear and tipped slightly forward. The first thing I tried was trimming off some of the pin box frame at the rear and it still wasn't enough.
The long jaw trail air doesn't help much either.

The picture of before cutting was not my rig. Just the same box.

Attachments

• Copy of before1.JPG
    Copy of before1.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Copy of after2.JPG
    Copy of after2.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 74

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Kathy/Ken - we have the extang 3-fold hard shell like the link that you attached for over 5 years on our short bed truck. At first when we got the cover, we had the Tri-glide pin and had problems with the front of the pin hitting the cover when making a turn. OK solution - got rid of tri-glide, keep cover. We ended up changing the hitch to an airbag system so didn't need the tri-glide anymore. Love the cover - works great. It has rubber seals that sit on top of the truck bedrail, doing a pretty good job of weatherproofing the inside of the box. Byrd's only problem is when hooking up, the cover, when folded up and locked, blocks the site of line of the pin to the hitch. Solution - ducktaped a strip on the top of the fold so she can see where the hitch jaws are to the pin. Everybody's happy now.

travlingman

We have the Extang tri-fold, canvas not solid, and have no problems with it. When folded up it actually makes a little "garage" to put stuff to keep it out of the weather while towing. Pin box doesn't come near it.

Rrloren

{I checked on most of the covers mentioned above, they all appear to be soft covers...}

My Advance Cover is a hard cover.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Mine's hard. Ordered it thru Phoenix Conversion in Knoxville, Tn. Glad we got it locally cuz the first one they got was damaged and they had to re-order.

RVNEWBIE

We have an extang product on our dually. It folds twice onto itself and secures. It also latches under the rails and with the locking tailgate on our chevy, we can still have secured storage after we disconnect. We are pulling a 2013 Key Largo with the standard pin box. It does have the fancy cover over it. I do not think that I can do the true 88 degree turns as the key largo is advertised, but I can get VERY close to it, and even then it is the pin box cover that may contact and not the coach itself. Another great feature of this cover is if you want to take it completely off, all you have to do is remove 2 retaining bolts at the back and lift it all the way off. Then once you get the hitch out, you basically have full use of your truck bed again. Truly, for us, I think this is the best of all worlds.

For some reasn, it will not let me copy link, but go to tonneaucoversworld.com and look at the solid fold. I don't recommend a LOT of weight on top, but I am about 230 and I have walked on top of it.

Good Luck and safe travels!
Joe

kakampers

Thanks everybody! We have ordered the Extang Solid Cover from Tonneau Cover World. This is our best option as there is NO additional rail system involved. ..will let everyone know how it works out...due to arrive on Friday.