Getting Frustrated with Mobile Connectivity

MCTalley

When we first bought our trailer and started living in it full-time, we stopped by the AT&T store and picked up an AT&T Elevate internet device. It was pretty cheap, if not free, with a two-year commitment and a one-year warranty. A couple weeks out of warranty, the unit started acting up to the point that it was unusable.

Since we were still in contract on that unit, we ended up paying $199 for a new AT&T MiFi Liberate, upon recommendation from another Heartland owner. A month into ownership, it powered down and would not power back up despite every effort on our part. We returned it to the AT&T store, the customer service rep plugged it in and turned it on like nothing was wrong. We shrugged, thanked him for his time and returned to the trailer with our now functional unit.

Yesterday, the unit started beeping rather frequently. When you would look at the display, it was indicating that it had lost 4G signal and was re-establishing it. Since we had primarily been using the campground wi-fi this week, we pretty much ignored it. I turned the unit off. I then Googled "mifi liberate beeping" and found a plethora of people complaining about this issue.

One search led me to the reviews of the unit on Amazon. There, I found that 80% of the reviewers giving the unit a 1 out of 5 (lowest possible rating) and complained about units shutting down and not turning back on until the battery was removed and replaced. The other common complaint was about the unit beeping and supposedly losing connections to the network.

I'm going to (eventually, due to travel schedules) return our unit to AT&T and see if I can get a different unit to replace it. I'm rather afraid that I might get something else (the AT&T Unite looks like about the only other viable alternative) that will eventually die on me, as well.

Looking for advice from other AT&T subscribers on what has worked well for you. $200 a year for an internet device that may or may not be reliable is getting a bit hard to swallow.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have a Samsung Galaxy 4G phone with a AT&T data hotspot. It will provide wireless data for up to 4 computers at once.
It has worked flawlessly in over two years while fulltiming and runs around $45 dollars per month for up to 4 gigabites. Each additional gig is $10.

We use park Wifi when it's available, but we have found that most of them are not so good. Trace

Last edited:

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Malcolm, I have had Verizon now for like 3 years and even using the same old USB Data Card. I would think hard about continuing with AT&T.

danemayer

I became very frustrated with AT&T after doing business with them over several decades for home phone, cell phones, and data connections. At one point in the RV, I had a Verizon MiFi device and my AT&T iPhone. As I travelled, I tested connectivity and compared the two. Where AT&T had no data connection, Verizon had slow data. Where AT&T had slow data, Verizon had fast data. Where AT&T was fast, Verizon was much faster. Occasionally I'd be close to towers for each and had good service from both.

I have everything on Verizon now.

We have Verizon broadband and never had a problem in 4 years. Some of the places we go to are pretty far away from any tower so it could be really slow and I could read a novel waiting for it but it always comes through. Cost is about $50 a month for 4g.and I don't have to worry about free wifi going down and it is more secure.

TandT

Malcolm, I have had Verizon now for like 3 years and even using the same old USB Data Card. I would think hard about continuing with AT&T.

I think the OP was complaining about a device failing, not the service itself. Trace

TandT

But the issue with the device may be caused by the provider.

Yep, anything is possible. I was a tech for 25 years and I'll be the first to admit sometimes it's hard to diagnose a problem by remote control. Trace

danemayer

I think the OP was complaining about a device failing, not the service itself. Trace

True. But if the provider can't or won't give you good service, for whatever reason, it's time to look at others.

Doesn't matter to me whether my findings were due to the network, the device or both. Bad is bad.

MCTalley

Service itself from AT&T has been fine. We have iPhones we can tether from (and do, occasionally). It is just nice to have a central wi-fi connection that can allow us to connect our computers and devices to the wi-fi printer and Apple TV unit we have.

I'm thinking of heading in a different direction, if AT&T will let me switch devices. I have a WiFi Ranger Go in storage that I might get back out, change to a USB thumb drive type wireless device and plug those two together. The only reason we didn't use the WFR before is because it cannot stream video through to the Apple TV. However, we almost never find ourselves doing that anyway.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have the Mi-Fi Liberate from AT&T as well. We are on our second on as the first one kept saying we had to update the software and when we triec it would freeze up. AT&T gave us a new one. It is doing the same as the first one that is shutting off and won't turn back on until the battery is removed and put back in. The first one did the same thing. I have not taken it back yet but will as soon as we get close to the AT&T repair store. My opinion is the MI-FI Liberate sucks. We currently have a Verizon Mi-Fi on order and should be here tomorrow. We shall see which one works better. What really aggravates me is when I bought the Liberate ATT gave me an unlimited data plan and now they cut me off at 5 gbs. They say the changed my plan even though I was under a written contract. Don't even know if it is worth the legal challange.

TandT

Doesn't matter to me whether my findings were due to the network, the device or both. Bad is bad.

Dan,
So if you had a cordless phone that was malfunctioning, would you try another phone, or change providers?

Many problems have to be solved through process of elimination. Trace

danemayer

Dan,
So if you had a cordless phone that was malfunctioning, would you try another phone, or change providers?

Many problems have to be solved through process of elimination. Trace
Trace,

Devices using cell technology are tightly tied to their networks at both a technology level and in pricing plans. The iPhone for AT&T has different chips than the iPhone for Verizon. Same kinds of differences in MiFi devices. Are the problems from the device? The network? The way the two interact? Who knows? How do you decide?

The OP was still in a 2 year contract from the 1st failing device and had to pay full un-discounted price for a 2nd device. The 2nd device also has problems. Would you recommend buying a 3rd device for the same network for another $200? I'd be asking AT&T to make it work or give me my money back and waive the cancellation fee. I might not get it, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't continue to throw new $200 devices at the problem.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If I had a home phone that was branded/sold by my carrier, I would tell them to get me a phone that works or I would switch carriers. I have Verizon cell service and a Verizon provided iPhone because our AT&T phones and service both were lousy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I can't imagine how frustrating that must be for you. We use an iPad connected to our Verizon account. There are a (very) few places where it hasn't been able to connect us for internet while we and is able to pull stuff off our Dish Network DVR at home if we don't have cable at the campgrounds. It also can act as a wifi hotspot. The Verizon network is, geographically, far better than any of the other carriers. I believe you owe it to yourself to check it out. Otherwise, in my opinion, you may be throwing good money after bad. In any case, good luck. I hope you find a solution!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
So sorry to hear this Malcolm. I've been using my Liberate since May, and haven't had any issues. Granted, I don't have it on 24/7, only using it for "away from home" use.

I agree you are between a rock and a hard place, and switching carriers is not really feasible. But AT&T should warrant the device... If you want to switch devices, I think it would be a reasonable request. I recall reading the reviews of all the AT&T mifi devices, and they all had issues/mediocre ratings.

Keep us informed how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My experience with AT&T and their internet service (at home) is that they lie. Started with trying to get onto their DSL several years ago, only to find after buying the equipment and subscribing that they really didn't have it in my neighborhood. Took several months to get them to stop charging for it and refund it.

We use Comcast Xfinity at home now, but when at the summer CG, we use our Verizon 5510L MiFi. The CG has free WiFi, but it's usually slow and inconsistent when the transient crowds are in. Even at home, when the cable has gone on the fritz, I fire up the MiFi and connect. On occasion, I've also used our Verizon SmartPhones as hotspots, like last summer when one of the cats puked on our older 4510L MiFi device and fried it at the CG. When we travel without the trailer, the MiFi comes along, too.

jbeletti

Malcolm,

The Verizon data products I use are made by Novatel. Perhaps you can look for Novatel products used by AT&T if you need to stick with that carrier.

I just got a new MiFi as I wanted one I could USB tether to the WiFi Ranger. I also wanted an external antenna port as I plan to add one to the roof of the RV. So I went with the Novatel 4620LE.

Wishing you the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3Gstore

When we first bought our trailer and started living in it full-time, we stopped by the AT&T store and picked up an AT&T Elevate internet device. It was pretty cheap, if not free, with a two-year commitment and a one-year warranty. A couple weeks out of warranty, the unit started acting up to the point that it was unusable.

Since we were still in contract on that unit, we ended up paying $199 for a new AT&T MiFi Liberate, upon recommendation from another Heartland owner. A month into ownership, it powered down and would not power back up despite every effort on our part. We returned it to the AT&T store, the customer service rep plugged it in and turned it on like nothing was wrong. We shrugged, thanked him for his time and returned to the trailer with our now functional unit.

Yesterday, the unit started beeping rather frequently. When you would look at the display, it was indicating that it had lost 4G signal and was re-establishing it. Since we had primarily been using the campground wi-fi this week, we pretty much ignored it. I turned the unit off. I then Googled "mifi liberate beeping" and found a plethora of people complaining about this issue.

One search led me to the reviews of the unit on Amazon. There, I found that 80% of the reviewers giving the unit a 1 out of 5 (lowest possible rating) and complained about units shutting down and not turning back on until the battery was removed and replaced. The other common complaint was about the unit beeping and supposedly losing connections to the network.

I'm going to (eventually, due to travel schedules) return our unit to AT&T and see if I can get a different unit to replace it. I'm rather afraid that I might get something else (the AT&T Unite looks like about the only other viable alternative) that will eventually die on me, as well.

Looking for advice from other AT&T subscribers on what has worked well for you. $200 a year for an internet device that may or may not be reliable is getting a bit hard to swallow.

I'm not sure how much you're looking to spend but if you want a reliable system that a lot of businesses rely on checkout the COR IBR600LP-AT for AT&T. A lot of customers will do the USB + Router or MiFi + Router combo's and they work, but can still have occasion headaches with disconnects etc. This embedded router would just take your AT&T sim and gives you two high gain diversity antennas which can also be removed if you need a higher gain antenna.

Here's a good article that compares embedded vs USB cellular routers - http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/4530/64/