SOLVED: Whole new furnace problem

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Wednesday/Thursday night around 1 AM, my door side propane tank ran out of fuel. As usual, the auto switch over did not occur from door side tank to off-door tank. I had to go out and manually flip the selector switch to make the off door side tank the active one. Then came back in and restarted the furnace. Most of you know that has been a common problem I have had for some time now (due to my schedule and my dealer's back-log, I haven't been able to take it in to get it fixed).

Here's the new rub. Furnace ran pretty long time getting the camper back up to the 68 degree setting and seemed to work through the rest of early Thursday morning. Then it just quit running. No ability to restart the furnace. It will not run. The furnace blower will not turn on. I have two full propane tanks, gas to the stove and oven and as far as I can tell, no blown 12v fuses nor tripped 110 circuit breakers.

Does anyone have any trouble shooting tips I can follow to try to isolate the problem? I don't know if there are any re-setable circuit breakers on the outside circuits (on my coach, up in the front compartment near the hydraulic reservoir and pump). It sure would be nice to get heat back, although right now it's pretty decent outside (at least for the next few days)

danemayer

Re: Whole new furnace problem

Hi Keith,

When the thermostat calls for heat, it sends 12V to a relay that's usually located in a box located on the bottom of the living room Air Conditioner. You should hear a click from that box. That relay sends power to the furnace blower motor, which should start immediately. When the blower motor gets up to speed, a sail switch closes, allowing power to get to the ignition circuits.

If nothing is happening (no fan motor and no relay click), you may have a 12V problem or interruption in the wiring to the relay. If your power converter has stopped working, once the battery runs down you can experience a failure like this.

Some likely causes include loose wires at the thermostat or at the ceiling relay, or at the furnace connector.If you're getting voltage to the furnace, it could be a board or motor problem.

Attachments

• Suburnban Furnace Wiring.pdf
    434.8 KB · Views: 39

mikeandconnie

Our control board went out after a few weeks of running ours last winter. We called a mobile tech and he replaced it with a improved board made in the usa with a 3 year warrranty.

lynndiwagoner

I imagine the replacement board was made by "Dinosaur Electronics" http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/. You might visit their site for troubleshooting tips. You can even call them for help. I had a frig board go out and they overnighted me a new board. Excellent customer service.

Lynn

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders

Well, finally got my furnace back. After exhausting all of my "extremely limited" skills, I called in a mobile RV service and they discovered a bad control board. He doesn't carry Suburban nor Atwood replacement boards because, according to him, they are not super reliable and only carry a 90 day warranty. I now have a Dinosaur Electronics board. 3 year warranty. It remains to be seen if this is a good move or not, but at least I now have heat.

Thanks for all your advice.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

The Dinasaur is supposedly better than the OEMs. Hope that holds true for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk