Canadian Maritimes

anita

Thinking about heading to the Canadian Maritimes in 2015. Would love to hear about your experiences. We are traveling from So Cal. Don't think we will make it to Newfoundland. We have two dogs and not sure if the ferry ride will work for us or them. Places to visit, campgrounds, etc.

priorguy

I've heard great things about Bay of Fundy Provincial park in New Brunswick from friends. The Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island is supposed to be great, not sure how the hills and turns are for towing. Find out where lobster is in season (always somewhere) while you're there so you can get the freshest possible. Check into the price of the ferry to Newfoundland first as towing a fifth wheel with an HD truck can get very pricy. If I recall it's cheaper to fly first class and stay in Five Star hotels for a week. Lots to see in every city like the Citadel in Halifax or Signal Hill in St. John's. Lots of breweries and brew pubs. I've been there for work but never camped. We are planning a trip for summer 2015 once the youngest will be old enough to remember. I'm sure you'll have an amazing time no matter what you do.

chiefneon

Howdy!

We spent summer in the maritimes this year. Three months of that was in Newfoundland. We wanted to get our monies worth out of the ferry ride. We had no problems taking our two dogs on the ferry. We did take the short ferry over and back which was about six hours. We put them in kennels inside the 5er. You can use the ferry kennels at a cost. I would rate Newfoundland right up there with Alaska. One thing on our bucket list was seeing Iceburgs and we arrived early June and saw more then our share. We even took a ferry trip over to Labador for a few days, highly recommend that also.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Majestic

Hi Anita
we traveled the 4 eastern provinces this year, we thought 10 days per province would be enough, well we were wrong.
our unit total length was 53' and round trip was close to $900.00. Newfoundland, Gros Morn KOA area was good, then travelled east. Plan on taking the east side ferry back. PEI was great, we stayed in the KOA Charletown and traveled from there, 6 days min. Nova Scotia has a real good Good Sam campground just west of Halifax. Hope you have lots of time. Lots to see

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Hi
We have done the Cabot Trail both ways I would suggest camping at the beginning and do not pull a big rig around the trail. Having said that it has been over 14 years since our last visit, the roads may be much improved since then.
We are trying to arrange a HOC camp weekend in the Maritimes some time in 2014. Anyone ay HOC member from any location please email me if you are interested wfwilson55@gmail.com and let me know your destination and dates and maybe we can coordinate the time and place if possible.
Look forward to hearing from anyone.
Regards and Safe travels

TimnJo

Hi
Anyone ay HOC member from any location please email me if you are interested wfwilson55@gmail.com and let me know your destination and dates and maybe we can coordinate the time and place if possible.
Look forward to hearing from anyone.
Regards and Safe travels

Hi Wayne,

We are going to out east the first two weeks of June, see the link to an RV.Net thread above, or you can PM me.

Tim & Jo

My DW and I and four other couples are

Birchwood

First you will travel through New Brunswick ,stay in Shediac for a few days,nice beaches and top resort area in New Brunswick.You will be close to Prince Edward Island an dwill arrive there within an hour.VacationLand RV park is nice and central but get a lot with a bay view.A 10 day stay on the island would be adequate but that's only my suggestion.Next you can head for the Halifax area for a few days and I have no experience with campgrounds in this area.After a few day move on to Baddeck in the Cape Breton area and do the Island from this location even if you have to stay at hotels in the interm.Again these are my suggestions and we are animal free.If you want to go to Newfoundland take a flight from Halifax,rent a car and stay in hotels along the way.Its a beautiful area and I have worked in the entire area for years .Have fun.

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
TimnJo
Early June does not work due to the National and Ontario Rally's in June
Sorry
Wayne