Mattress tearing on bed frame

travlingman

The wood frame that the mattress sets on is very rough and is picking holes in the bottom of our mattress. We have a piece of plastic between the mattress and wood now and wondered if anyone else is having this problem and what you did for a fix?

danemayer

Hi travlingman,

Many of us have installed stick-on vinyl tile on the wood. You can get a package from Home Depot for about $20. In addition to eliminating wear on the bottom of the mattress, it makes it very easy to slide the mattress away from the wall when making the bed, which is the main reason we did it.

Here's a pic.

Attachments

• RV Bed Tile and lift.jpg
    RV Bed Tile and lift.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 187

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
With the rough chipboard platform, I recommend liberally applying a primer/sealer before putting the tile down.

ncc1701e

The wood frame that the mattress sets on is very rough and is picking holes in the bottom of our mattress. We have a piece of plastic between the mattress and wood now and wondered if anyone else is having this problem and what you did for a fix?

Similar solution to Dan for our installation of the Sleep Number bed. Bed Ready 4 Sleep Number.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
X3 on self-stick. We did not prep the surface before, just stuck them down. We removed the hinges, laid tile, reinstalled hinges. Some prefer to cut around so they don't have to remove them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Lowes and Home Depot have a fake wood corner trim piece that I used to dress the edges. I used strips of carpet tape to attach it to the tile. Eliminates the rough edge and slivers when making the bed.

wdk450

I just used 3M spray glue and a heavy grade drop cloth which I trimmed to size after adhering it to the glued base.

Herm45

Hi travlingman,

Many of us have installed stick-on vinyl tile on the wood. You can get a package from Home Depot for about $20. In addition to eliminating wear on the bottom of the mattress, it makes it very easy to slide the mattress away from the wall when making the bed, which is the main reason we did it.

Here's a pic.

Hey Danemayer,
Thanks for the picture. Question, what is the wire shelving(?) at the head of the bed. Does it cause the mattress to slide down toward the foot of the bed?
Thanks for your reply.

danemayer

Hey Danemayer,
Thanks for the picture. Question, what is the wire shelving(?) at the head of the bed. Does it cause the mattress to slide down toward the foot of the bed?
Thanks for your reply.
That's a wedge that raises the head of the bed to prevent acid reflux. It's a closet shelf from Home Depot that they cut to the correct width. The 2x4 at the head of the shelf gives it the necessary elevation. A couple of wood screws and fender washers hold it together. The rough spots are covered with packing tape.

At home I built a ramp entirely out of plywood and 2x4s. This is lighter and less expensive, and took less effort to put together. The mattress does tend to creep down a bit over time, but not enough to worry about.

The mattress is 12" thick and even with the head elevated, it doesn't contact the window treatment when sliding the mattress.

Herm45

Thanks, I like it. We currently have the adjustable beds in our home and I am trying to figure out how we could put them in our Bighorn. They are heavy and I am not sure if the weight would be to much for the slide. Just one more creature comfort that I would like to put in our home on wheels away from home.

OrangeWing

That's a wedge that raises the head of the bed to prevent acid reflux. It's a closet shelf from Home Depot that they cut to the correct width. The 2x4 at the head of the shelf gives it the necessary elevation. A couple of wood screws and fender washers hold it together. The rough spots are covered with packing tape.

At home I built a ramp entirely out of plywood and 2x4s. This is lighter and less expensive, and took less effort to put together. The mattress does tend to creep down a bit over time, but not enough to worry about.

The mattress is 12" thick and even with the head elevated, it doesn't contact the window treatment when sliding the mattress.

Hey EXACTLY what i was looking for!! We have an adjustable bed at home and i cant sleep flat! Is the 2x4 enough? Have you experimented with a 2x6? Also is that the 12" shelf or wider? We just put money down on a 3596re and this was to be the first 'mod'

Great post!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

danemayer

Hey EXACTLY what i was looking for!! We have an adjustable bed at home and i cant sleep flat! Is the 2x4 enough? Have you experimented with a 2x6? Also is that the 12" shelf or wider? We just put money down on a 3596re and this was to be the first 'mod'

Great post!!

Hi OrangeWing,

The 2x4 did the job for me. Height on ours is constrained by the window treatments anyway. Sorry, I don't remember what the width of the shelf is and the RV is at the storage lot.

OrangeWing

Thanks for the super fast reply. Size is not a problem side to side. I may have to use the wider shelves. Think they are about 16 and may can find 24. But i was really stressing this lightweight. And this fits the bill! I will also post pics of completed project