Using old dish antenna for improved Cell Phone/Cellular Internet Reception

wdk450

Gang:
I came across this webpage while researching RV dish antenna modifications: http://www.instructables.com/id/Cell-Phone-WiFi-Signal-Booster-Antenna/ and found it interesting, and possibly useful for some Heartlanders.

This probably isn't practicable for short stays, but might be useful for longer stays in locations with spotty cell service. Of course, in this sort of signal seek, antenna height is a critical factor. I am thinking about a rear ladder pipe stub mount, and securing a cell/wifi external antenna I have to the LMB faces (dish focal point). Aiming may be a chore, too.

I was at one So. Ca. park recently for a week where I had to drive my truck to an elevated spot in the campground just to get a poor cell signal. This drove me nuts. The same thing happened when I stayed 2 weeks outside West Yellowstone, Montana last year. I just had to drive 500 feet from the campground to the highway to get a good signal.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Some high speed wireless internet providers have been using those dishes for years.
Normally a house would have some sort of a subscriber module mounted to it.
If in a weak area they would use an old satellite dish for improved reception.
Don't know how that would work for cell reception though.

Peace
Dave

dave10a

Using an old dish is a good idea, but uses a lot of storage room, I use this which easy to build and works great.

USB Antenna.jpg