Will Ford Superduty 450 pull 3670RL Bighorn

Trillium

We are interested in the 2009 Bighorn 3670RL and would like to know if we purchase a Ford Superduty 450 4x4 will be able to pull the Bighorn without any modifications. Specifically we are concerned about the bed rail clearance.

Does anyone have this combination or know if any issues will present themselves with this combination.
We would like to tow the 5th wheel level and still have the required 6 inch bed rail clearance.

We are new to this and do appreciate your comments to help us get it right the first time.

Thankyou

Tom of Ypsi

You should have no problems with that combination. George & Lindsey Welsch pull a Landmark with that same truck and there are probably others that tow with that combo also.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We have some friends that just bought the Landmark Augusta which is the same floor plan as the Bighorn 3670 and they also bought a new Ford F-450 to pull their trailer. They have had no trouble with bed clearance or any other problems with the new rig.

Trillium

Tom of Ypsi and jayc,
Thankyou for your information on the Ford F-450 4x4, Looks like we are good to go with this a a tow vehicle.

Best wishes for a Happy New Year.

BluegrassMan

I pull a Grand Canyon with my 450, the side walls and tailgate are a little higher than my Dodge I had. I used to be able to get my head between the trailer and truck, now I can't. But there is no difference with towing clearance.

Trillium

Thanks BluegrassMan

Thankyou for that info. I have seen some Ford trucks on the road and they look awefully high in the back. Have not seen a 450 yet so I was concerned. From your post and others it looks like there should be not problems at all.
How do you like your 450? What gears did you order yours with? I have not placed my order yet as I am still researching what options I need and want to have with the truck.

BluegrassMan

Hi Trillium:
I find that my 450 sits level when empty, it may drop an inch or 2 when I hook up. Or maybe it's just the front lifting a little. You are right, most trucks are high in the back, not the 450. I had a Dodge HD2500, with air/lift bags. It was about an inch and a half lower than the 450. On the Ford the bottom of the bed, it measures 35" from the ground. It is the same measurement 2x4 or 4x4. I ordered the 4:30 gears, the other choice was 4:88's. I figured I'll use plenty of Fuel with the 4:30's, I don't need to drag 88's around.

I really like mine, there weren't many options left to get, and they were ones I didn't want....Such as the Camper suspension. I figure the suspension is already heavy enough, I don't want XHD springs on top of what I have. Those are for carrying a large slide in camper in the bed. I feel the King Ranch option is worth the money, I get lots of compliments on the interior. Hey it's only money! Good Luck with your shopping.