water pump non-op in cold (05f) weather

I was recently in Reno, Nv with temps that got to 0 degrees. I left my gray tank valve open for the bath and kept the water running and managed to keep the line from freezing up. However the campground shut off the water to do some repairs. I tried my on board fresh water and it was frozen up. I had an electric heater behind the docking valves to warm that area. I couldn't visually follow the water line from the pump to the tank, but that must have been where the problem was. What else beside the heater could I do?

danemayer

Hi davent1946,

Keeping the area around the pump is a good start. The water line from the fresh tank to the pump is very susceptible to freezing, particularly around the fresh tank drain. The drain pipe sticking out the bottom has water above the valve. That water freezes right away. Then the ice wicks up into the tee and blocks the fresh water line. Other areas on the fresh line can also freeze early, particularly if they're in contact with frame cross members. To prevent freezing, you'll want to put pipe heat tape and insulation on the fresh water line and the drain. For weather down to 0F, you'll also want tank heating pads - but don't leave the gray tanks open with heating pads running or you may damage the tanks. To keep the city water from freezing, you need a heated water hose (or add heat tape and insulation to a regular water hose), and a drop light in the UDC to keep the connections there from freezing.

Take a look at our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide for more info.

dlw930

Hi davent1946,

Keeping the area around the pump is a good start. The water line from the fresh tank to the pump is very susceptible to freezing, particularly around the fresh tank drain. The drain pipe sticking out the bottom has water above the valve. That water freezes right away. Then the ice wicks up into the tee and blocks the fresh water line. Other areas on the fresh line can also freeze early, particularly if they're in contact with frame cross members. To prevent freezing, you'll want to put pipe heat tape and insulation on the fresh water line and the drain. For weather down to 0F, you'll also want tank heating pads - but don't leave the gray tanks open with heating pads running or you may damage the tanks. To keep the city water from freezing, you need a heated water hose (or add heat tape and insulation to a regular water hose), and a drop light in the UDC to keep the connections there from freezing.

Take a look at our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide for more info.

This usage guide is really valuable. I wish I'd known about it before our Christmas trip to Missouri where the temperature got down to 7 F a couple of nights. I kept the black and gray tank valves closed while parked so the sewer line wouldn't freeze and had a heated water hose. The park wrapped a heat tape around the above-ground portion of the yard hydrant used for the city water connection. Unfortunately, the first night I didn't have a heat tape to wrap my pressure regulator connected to the hydrant, and that's where the line froze. The park said they preferred that campers use their fresh water tank instead of the city water connection in below-freezing weather. After filling the fresh tank, I turned on the water pump, but no water came out any of the faucets, so I assumed the pump was either bad or the lines were frozen (I knew the fresh tank drain valve had frozen.) After returning home I had the pump checked and it was fine, so guess the frozen line was the problem. Will definitely put heat tape on the exposed fresh tank drain line in the future. Great information, Dane. Thanks!

dlw930
Joshua, TX

2011 Big Country 3595RLE
2011 Silverado 3500HD w/6.6L Duramax

olcoon

The user guides are an awesome resource, and the knowledge base of people like Dan, & Dave (cookie), and several others on the Forum are invaluable!!!