New install of Splendide Combo W/D Unit

Mizmary

Ramdually finished the install. He got tips from here and it made the job a ton easier!

Thanks I everyone for all of the comments - even if they were on another post.😜

It seems to be working. And no more laundromat- which hopefully will save us some $$ and time!!
4a2a4e3y.jpg

Mizmary

Re: New install

I think all in total it took less than 4 hours. Including trips to the hardware store! Haha. It was a stressful install (worried about cutting into the fiberglass) but not a terribly difficult one. Already washed a load of clothes!

Look up the install. If we didn't want the drain pan, we wouldn't have needed the riser - then, the install would have been about an hour. 😄

caissiel

Re: New install

Now check your closet.
We removed the top shelve and raised the rod and now we can store all our jackets above the W/D.
Our payback was less then 2 years 9 years ago. That is while full timing

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

gebills

Yes, it looks like a nice install. Have the same idea on my project list. DW is not so certain because she keeps hearing comments from people who used them years ago (meaning older units). Am obviously apprehensive about cutting the hole; and also carrying more weight. I finally creeped over 11 mpg after 25K total miles on the truck, and I know the more weight, the more power required. As the previous post mentioned, would like to see the outside vent if you would take the time to post. Also, many previous posters on the subject of Splendide washers have noted, they get good results from the combo unit. Would also like to hear your wash results as well. Additionally, did you install a weep drain tube to drain from the bottom pan, or do you simply expect to see residual water and soak it out?? thanx, gebills.

Prairiedog

Looks great, and looks much better than mine from Camping World (they installed the pan too close to the rear and the vent hose had to come out on top of the W/D...although I can always tell how dry my clothes are by how hot the vent it). Learning how to wash & dry in that appliance is tricky, especially not letting your shirts wrinkle, but it can be done. I've had mine for 4 months full-timing and I wouldn't do without it. Good luck!

ramdually4100king

Ok, to answer some questions...

The vent hole was the hardest part of the install.
2a6a9a4e.jpg
yvequted.jpg
uzygure7.jpg

The drain pan does have a weep hole that I ran to the propane bay.
penusa8y.jpg
pahe6ana.jpg
yduvu3uz.jpg

Mizmary

So far so good on how it works. It takes a LONG time to do a load. I started laundry this morning and have gotten three loads in and out. But- they are FULL loads. We have two kids and full-time, though so we expect it should pay for itself pretty quickly. We will see how much our electric goes up next month.

I like it so far. Bonus is that it always smells like clean laundry around here. I was VERY surprised at how quiet the machine is. It jiggles in high speed. But the loudest sound is the pump the dryer sounds like a quieter version of a blow dryer. And I can't even describe the sound while it's washing - it's too quiet.

Next project- putting a duct fan in the half bath so when the boy-child uses it the air will go outside. I don't think there is as much fear of drilling through the fiberglass now that he's done it. It will look exactly like the dryer duct outside. We are at least considering it. Not having any ventilation in that bathroom is bad. It always smells like an outhouse.

porthole

Retired
Hints we found using the combo unit.
Don't overload, but that is dependent on what you are washing.
We will try to do jeans together as they take the longest for any cycle.
Alway use softner. It helps the clothes fall off the drum after the 1200 rpm spin cycle.

We wash with no time set for dry, pull the clothes, shake them all out and then do the dry cycle.
Yes it all takes longer, but considering you can throw smaller loads in anytime, it is time well spent doing other things around the trailer. Even doing nothing sitting in a lounge chair is better then watching the clock at the laundromat.

We throw the shower towels in for a 20 minute dry cycle after every shower. No wet towels laying around. We also use the "inexpensive" thin towels to make this task easier.

gebills

Nice descriptive pics Ramdually, appreciate the time spent in getting, and posting them. I have been envisioning the wash results much as described. There are issues I need to clear before going off hog-wild on a project without discussion. DW can get a migraine and the drop of a hat (that includes vibrations from a dryer should they exist) and I would heartedly agree that setting in the living room/salon relaxing/reading is far better than watching a clock in a Laundromat that you had to clean before putting your laundry in the $2+ machine. Our washer installation will be in the closet about 6" to the right of the entry door of the 5'er, and that has been part of the discussion, of giving up the lower half of this great usable entry closet/space. We can raise the hanging clothes rod though and will still be able to hang shorter items i.e. coats, shirts, blouses etc. etc. etc. Thank you for the info and pic postings; much obliged. gebills

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Most folks probably don't manipulate the hot and cold supply valves for their washer hook ups, but in working on mine, I found them very hard to turn and don't completely shut, so I had to put a hose cap on the end. So I put a new line valve on each and use it to shut off the water, rather than fight with the OEM valves. Just in case, operate the valve occasionally to make sure it does not "freeze."

Come Spring around here, I'll be installing my drain pan and replacing the detergent distribution assembly on my washer. Also replacing the supply hoses with the braided steel FlowSafe (?) lines.

porthole

Retired
A hint for the Combo.

I use to just slam the door closed. This past summer the latch broke. Small plastic piece inside the door.
I was able to fix it well enough while camping (think I used a couple of wire ties) and it still works.
We now hold the release in when closing the door.

Mizmary

Thanks for all of the input and hints. I will definitely make sure we don't slam the door shut. I am training the tiny humans to use the machine so that I am merely laundry supervisor instead of laundry slave.

We will keep you all posted when the hubby starts the next project - ceiling vent in 1/2 bath. 😁

porthole

Retired
Thanks for all of the input and hints. I will definitely make sure we don't slam the door shut. I am training the tiny humans to use the machine so that I am merely laundry supervisor instead of laundry slave.

We will keep you all posted when the hubby starts the next project - ceiling vent in 1/2 bath. 

H'mmm. Not in the same boat, but if I was, I'd still be the slave, for the actual operation.

Mizmary

H'mmm. Not in the same boat, but if I was, I'd still be the slave, for the actual operation.

Don't worry- I micromanage. :) we use pods, so there is no over soaping- and they should be washing every week so no overloading. 😜 since we full time with kids and I homeschool I have a lot on my plate and teaching them to be self sufficient should allow me a bit more free time.