Fuel mileage with large toy hauler.

diesel_doberman

Has anyone gone from a 26-32 foot bumper pull to a 40-42 ft toy hauler? What was the difference in fuel mileage? I get 14 in my f350 with my 28ft bumper pull. Was wondering what others get. Thing larger toy hauler in the future.

MCTalley

Not quite a toy hauler, but we have a 40' Big Country that, fully loaded, runs around 15,500lb. Our 2013 F350 (6.7 diesel) gets between 9.5 (windy) to 11 (calm) mpg running 65 mph on the interstate. When you switch to a fifth wheel, you'll probably lose more mpg due to increased wind resistance than you will to additional weight (at highway speeds, at least).

caissiel

Towing our 39ft BC takes less power at 60mph then towing a 30ft one slide TT.
I tow our BC at 40-60% load all day long. My friend TT was no load until 40mph but beyound that the wind drag felt awful while the gauge stayed at 60% load on level Florida highway.
I have G tires and always say that is the best for fuel mileage while the TT had LR D tires that caused part of the drag.
My 3500lbs service trailer I use every summer is sometimes harder on fuel loaded then my BC.
I use a scangauge for fuel economy and believe that results are as accurate as any others.
BTW keeping turbo pressure under 10 PSI while towing has netted me 15mpg towing from Richmond VA to Miami FL. No way I could do that without G tires.
The side wind affect the fuel consumption more then head wind for my BC. When it happens I slow down to 55 to keep 12 mpg rate.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Has anyone gone from a 26-32 foot bumper pull to a 40-42 ft toy hauler? What was the difference in fuel mileage? I get 14 in my f350 with my 28ft bumper pull. Was wondering what others get. Thing larger toy hauler in the future.

Went from a 30' bumper TT to a 36' toy hauler.
Mileage was about the same as long as the speed was ket at 55 or less.

That change was when I had a 2006 GMC 2500HD.
Mileage with the toy hauler was almost the same when switching from the 06 GMC to the 2011 F-350 DRW, slightly less most of the time.

The mileage really dropped after one of Ford's "updates". A 20% drop when towing. 11.5 - 12 mpg before, 9-9.5 afterthe update I did not want.

diesel_doberman

I have a few mods on the truck now that took the none tow mpg from 12 to 16 and when rolling on the highway I got 20 from Cincinnati to Hilton head.

I was just hoping that the mpg would stay around 13 when Getting a larger new camper.

HornedToad

From a 32 ft TT 9000 lbs wet to a 38 ft TH 13000 lbs wet with a V 10 F 250 no change in 7-8 MPG

The mileage really dropped after one of Ford's "updates". A 20% drop when towing. 11.5 - 12 mpg before, 9-9.5 afterthe update I did not want.

9 MPG with F 350 6.7...

Did the dealer flash your computer when you had it in for service???

scottyb

Towing fully loaded 4100 (2K in the garage and full water tank) with 6.7L DRW, 8.5 mpg on level ground, no wind. 7.0 mpg in hills or with moderate head wind. I got 9.0 once with a tail wind.

ramdually4100king

Not a bumper pull but I was getting 10 mpg towing a 10k pound, 34' 5th wheel. When we upgraded to a18k pound 44' 4100 I still get 10 mpg. But I only get 13 mpg when not towing thanks to the EPA restrictions.

diesel_doberman

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it.

My truck is a 6.4l power stroke with exhaust, dpf removal, tuner and intake. I will be getting a snow coolest system to help with the mpg next.

ILH

Mine's a 35ft toy hauler. With my diesel I generally get between 10 and 13mpg - depending mostly on how full my wife has packed the RV!

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it.

My truck is a 6.4l power stroke with exhaust, dpf removal, tuner and intake. I will be getting a snow coolest system to help with the mpg next.

If you're getting 14mpg with a 6.4L pulling a loaded 28' TT that's great! Your mods must be helping. I'd expect 10-12 mpg with the loaded toyhauler. (9 mpg being normal)

Sandpirate69

My toyhauler is a bit longer at apprx. 38' . I have numerous mods on my truck all the way to EFI Live with a custom 100 hp tow tune w/exhaust brake. I just avg. 11.5 mpgs to Maggie Valley, NC. at 65 mph.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

rgwilliams69

Towing fully loaded 4100 (2K in the garage and full water tank) with 6.7L DRW, 8.5 mpg on level ground, no wind. 7.0 mpg in hills or with moderate head wind. I got 9.0 once with a tail wind.

My setup is the same, and mileage pretty close to yours Scotty. 8.5mpg is my average, although I've gotten as good as 10.5 and as bad as 6mpg (very bad head wind, fully loaded). In the summer when there is no wind I'm closer to 9mpg. Very heavy load that 4100 all loaded up. I was wondering if we put one of those big-rig trailer tails on, maybe we could get all the way up to 9.5mpg average. :)

scottyb

My setup is the same, and mileage pretty close to yours Scotty. 8.5mpg is my average, although I've gotten as good as 10.5 and as bad as 6mpg (very bad head wind, fully loaded). In the summer when there is no wind I'm closer to 9mpg. Very heavy load that 4100 all loaded up. I was wondering if we put one of those big-rig trailer tails on, maybe we could get all the way up to 9.5mpg average. :)

Greg, I'm sure anything would help. My guess is they would be like the wind breaks on top of the cab. Good for the million-miler big rigs but wouldn't pay for themselves on recreational vehicles.

JanAndBill

Bulletproofed 6.0 running an SCT tuner with mild tow boost, average 10.8 to 12.0 towing, depending on hills, wind and fuel quality. For some reason, it seems that I always get better fuel mileage with Mobil Diesel???? Over Thanksgiving up through Tennesse, Kentucky, and Missouri we stuggled against a really bad headwind. Fuel mileage dropped to 9.5. Average speed on the highway is around 68.

dfk009

My Ford 6.0 pulling a 29 ft fifth wheel getting 13.5 mpg, dropped to 10.0 mpg pulling our new 38 ft fifth wheel. Never weighed either trailer. I know that I have lots more weight hanging back there now, but expected the results.

HornedToad

Yes, the one day I forgot to specifically request no trans flash...................

Based on my tow MPG I think I got that update on my 2013 for free at the factory.

So would an aftermarket tuner, that the OP and others run,
get you back & me up to 12 MPG towing???

DW_Gray

I'm towing over 19K pounds and and my overall average is 9.5 MPG. Depending on terrain and environmental conditions, I've ranged from a low 7 MPG and up to a very good 13 MPG. (Love those flat highways with a tail wind.)

scottyb

I'm towing over 19K pounds and and my overall average is 9.5 MPG. Depending on terrain and environmental conditions, I've ranged from a low 7 MPG and up to a very good 13 MPG. (Love those flat highways with a tail wind.)

My F-350 barely gets 13 empty with a tail wind.