Bedroom Closet Clothes Rod Hanger - my fix

Devi1Dog

I am having an issue with my closet in the master bedroom. The rod hanger was stripped out in the move, from the lot to my local campground, and I tried to re-install it but it has come out again. I have a few ideas of how to fix it but was wondering if anyone else had any issues or an ideas on this matter. It is the center rod support that was stripped out in a 2014 Silverado 37QB.

danemayer

Re: Rod Hanger

Hi Devi1Dog,

Do you have a picture or can you describe what you mean by "stripped out"?

iawoody2

I installed bolts clear thur the shelve with large washers top and bottom. Now very solid.

Devi1Dog

avurena5.jpg

The back two screw marks are where it stripped initially. I then red rolled them but they again came loose.
anazy7e7.jpg

This is how much space there is between the bottom of the shelf to the top of shelf. There is no solid wood between and I was thinking if placing a dowel, about a 1" or so, from the floor to the bottom of the rod hanger.
9eraze4a.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

I think that Bob has the solution.
Drill a hole straight up, get two each, a longer bolt, fender washer and a Nyloc nut.
Run the bolt from the top down with the fender washer up top.
Do not over tighten due to the void between the shelf top and bottom.
In place of the fender washers you could use a piece of 1x2.

Peace
Dave

We are using the washer/dryer area as an extension of the closet and to keep the weight from pulling on the rod we got a long 2 x 4 and put a notch on one end and put it under the rod to support it. Works fine and doesn't pull on the upper shelf . .CIMG0404.JPGCIMG0403.JPG

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Somehow, the supports for my closet rod look like they're butted up to the back of the shelf face. There may be some framing behind it and under the lower shelf skin because my closet rod is very secure. When the wife loads up almost the entire thing with her clothing such that you have to pry stuff out, it's holding a load. To the point that there is a slight droop in the rod itself. I get maybe six hangers at one end, the other zillion are hers. Can't get into the rig right now, so I can't take a look to be sure. You could try probing with a 1/16" drill bit to see if there's some wood under there.

View attachment 27908

gasman

Camp Socializer

Home Depot and Lowe's both have through bolts in their hardware section. I believe the call them furniture bolts. They have wide flat heads with allen type sockets in the heads. The two halves screw together.

caissiel

Our rod in the front closet hangs wall to wall almost 8 feet.
The first year everything was going down including the shelf above.
I bought a standard house 8 ft rod and anchored it good at both end. With supports at the middle the rod seems to also hold the shelf.
I found that RV closet rods do not hold the clothes required for full-time living.
Cheap $15 fix 5 years ago.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

When our (her) closet rod fell down. I bought a 2" closet rod and 2 chrome wall mounts. Installed the rod in a vertical position in the center/front of the shelf, screwed the wall mounts to the floor and shelf and yes I had to stain it to match all the wood. It ain't falling down now. I also installed longer screws in the OEM wall mounts. BTW, rockhounders, there was no way in $%& that I was going to get away with a 2X4.....that was my 1st thought. DUH stupid me. I know what Johndar means....I know that in all the boxes, containers, and junk (not mine) on the shelf....there has got to be at least 10-15 10# bowling balls. I have never figured out how DW gets so much stuff packed in a small space. I dont dare move anything....cause it turns into a house of cards. She has a system of how things are stacked and what you have to remove 1st. I never..ever put my hand into her purse....there are things in it that will remove fingers.

Thanks for your post. We are workampers and travel all over the U S. So with all the moving, bumps, potholes, etc. there is bound to be strain on the rod with the swaying of the clothes and eventually the flimsy board that holds the brackets will give way. So for us, a 2x4 coming up and supporting it that way seems like a safer way to do it. No one but us will ever look in the closet and if someone else does, oh well.:)

Devi1Dog

Ok. Here was the fix I came up with. If you look at the bottom you will notice a line, where the rod was cut, I added two nuts so that I could adjust the height if the rod over time and then anchored it to the floor. I also did the cut out for the existing rod with my Dremel tool.
a9ave8es.jpg

jimtoo

Hi CapnSteve59,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

That's what the forum is about, Heartland family sharing knowledge and information about repairs, mods and,,, of course rallies and good food. Join us when you can and meet lots of great folks.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Thanks! We're really excited about our new rig and looking forward to learning more from this forum! The owners forum for my boat was an invaluable resource for me.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Steve, looking at Devi1dog's modification, there is a rod hanger just to the right of his support. In our Bighorn, the factory missed the mark when it came to getting that bracket under a cross member. Remove that bracket and push on the panel and find the center of the support piece. Pre-drill and reattach the bracket OR Drill all the way through the support with a 1/4" drill. Buy a couple of longer flat head bolts & nuts and attach. The mod in the picture will work but for me, the support pole would just be a temporary fix.