Has your ladder ever broken?

rdickey

The Crowded Camper Mom
We have a brand new Heartland Landmark (3 months full timing so far) and my husband went to climb the ladder to the roof and one of the plastic rings that holds a rung completely snapped and gave out. He is 6'4" and 200lb. I would hope a ladder like that would hold more then that. Has anyone ever had the plastic part replaced? Just curious if this is common. If so maybe I will start making the trip up there instead. Haha.

Thanks! I was going to post in the Landmark specific section but thought maybe it was something any Heartland owner with a ladder on it could help us with.
Happy New Year!

pegmikef

Just enter "ladder" in the search box at the top right and you will see more threads regarding ladder stability than you probably want. You were right . . . it is not a Landmark unique problem. Me? I carry a folding extension ladder because I don't trust the ladder on my BH (although it is handy to display my HOC plaque).

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
we have the same problem...DH made a simple support he puts under the ladder before climbing it...no more issues.

MTPockets

This has been a reported problem for a few years now. Atwood, the ladder supplier, and Heartland remain quiet on this severe safety issue. I and many others have had repeated breaks on these ends, as well as bent mounting bolts. Several have posted their solutions, but I find it abhorrent that neither Atwood nor Heartland has yet stepped up with a proper repair. I can't post here the action needed, but it's a shame the problem is ignored on an otherwise fine coach.

danemayer

plastic rings that holds a rung completely snapped and gave out.
You should be able to get replacement parts under warranty. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Ask them to mail several to you. They're very easy to install yourself.

To prevent future breakage, one solution is to mount small hose clamps on the vertical tubes, under each rung. Use cut-to-size gasket material under the hose clamp to keep it from sliding. It's not an elegant fix, but will keep the plastic from breaking.

The other problem is that the ladders flex at the top, moving the horizontal standoffs up and down as you get on and off the ladder. They'll come loose after a while. If you construct a support to place under the lowest standoff, it'll stop the flexing. You can build a support out of a 2x4 by cutting a few notches in the side of the 2x4.

Attachments

• Ladder-Support-CU-resize.jpg
    Ladder-Support-CU-resize.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 97

Garypowell

My ladder has never broken because on 5 fifth wheels I have never used them. It holds a real 6 foot ladder that when put in the bed of the truck I can easily get up on a slide out and then to the roof.

gebills

I would expect the number of broken rungs on these Atwood ladders is a "significant" number if the ladder is actually being used as "a ladder". We use a stack of "Camping World" wheel leveling blocks underneath the ladder (takes better than a dozen blocks usually) to support the structure, keeping it from flexing downward, if I have to get on the top of the 5'er. Although I use the wheel blocks, I've got one or two broken plastic rung ends that need replaced on the factory ladder. I carry a 5-foot folding ladder in the basement to do most of the window and side cleaning. Word to the wise; find an alternative method to get on top, or a support system for your factory ladder.

MTPockets

I would expect the number of broken rungs on these Atwood ladders is a "significant" ............... find an alternative method to get on top, or a support system for your factory ladder.

The "support" system should come from Heartland. These posts go back at least four years, yet Heartland continues putting this accident waiting to happen on their coaches.

wildwolfproducts

Had the same issue, Called Attwood and they had me take a pic of the cap that broke. Had all new ones a few days later. End caps and screws to replace all of them with.
Pete

Birchwood

I have used the ladder on our Landmark occasionally for the last 5 years with no problems and I am almost 200lbs.I don't carry anything(no stepladders,bikes or chairs) on the ladder while traveling.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I have used the ladder on our Landmark occasionally for the last 5 years with no problems and I am almost 200lbs.I don't carry anything(no stepladders,bikes or chairs) on the ladder while traveling.

We never had a problem with the ladder on our 2008 Bighorn, but the one on our Landmark is really flimsy....

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Does make me wonder if there has been some kind if change to the ladder in the more recent models. I use my ladder (2009 MY) without a problem.

rdickey

The Crowded Camper Mom
Wow. Thanks for the replies and suggestions. We are going to get the parts replaced that our warranty covers, then beef up the ladder based on the replies here. But we probably won't use it anymore and get a folding ladder instead. Ha.

Now I worry that leaving the winegard carryout perched at the top of the ladder is a bad idea. Maybe we should relocate it. We don't travel right now. Husband is working and we are full timing in the campground. We would definitely take it off for travel. But now I think a new perch is needed.

Thanks y'all.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Does make me wonder if there has been some kind if change to the ladder in the more recent models. I use my ladder (2009 MY) without a problem.

I wonder if John is on to something. Our Grand Canyon was built in Aug 2010 and I've used the ladder three or four times a year with no issues. I'm a pretty big guy - 250lbs. I'm also very careful not to move quickly so my weight shifts on the rungs slowly.

wdk450

Actually, I broke the bottom of my ladder in another way - I backed too far into a steep uphill berm and broke off the bottom loop/step. Like many others, I don't use it anyways. I have a 13 foot folding, multipurpose ladder that is long enough to get me on top of a slide, and from there I can get on the roof. This folding ladder has also come in useful in the vaulted living room for maintaining the lights, Fantastic fan, and high surface cleaning. I would like to replace this one with a 17 foot model so I can get on the roof directly and easier.
Here is one I am looking at on Walmart.com: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-17-...bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n

Many Walmarts have one of these Cosco multi ladders in stock.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I was carrying one of the Cosco 17ft. ladders in the basement, but it was a PITA to get it in and out, having to move stuff around. I've gone to an Extend & Climb 12'6" ladder. Less space, less weight, easier to get in/out of the basement, yet tall enough to work on the sides and caps of the rig.

Wmnmy

I carry a16 ft folding ladder from Home depot after I broke the previous toyhauler one with my husky self lol.