30 or 50 amp protector

Tweitekamp

We have a Sundance that is wired for 50 amp. We only have 30 amp necessities since only have 1 A/C. But if it is wired for 50 amp (big round plug on the back of the camper and python size cord) is it a necessity to get the 50 amp Progressive Industries surge protector? It is 40-50 bucks difference or something like that. Not life and death on price...but it is a difference.

Common sense says just get the 50 but is there going to be a potential issue with the installation if I buy a 30 amp protector with 50 amp wiring?

Dumb question but looking for advise.

Todd

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'm reasonably sure that the 30A protector only has three wires (one hot, a neutral and ground) where the 50A has four (two hot legs, a neutral and ground). Go with the 50A protector for a 50A rig.

GOTTOYS

I have a portable 50 amp Progressive unit. I use it all the time on a 30 amp plug with the necessary adapters, but when I plug into a 50 service I have what I need...I'd spend the extra $$...Don

mdamerell

I'd suggest the 50 amp internal PI with the remote display. In our Sundance the unit mounted behind the wall in the basement by the stairs. The remote display was easily mounted in the cabinet by the stairs which contained all the other gages and controls. We did eventually add the 2nd A/C unit.

stevenssr

I'd recommend the 50 amp, for a couple of reasons. I was at a campsite last summer where the 30 amp didn't work, but the 50 amp did. The 30 amp connector was bad. Don't want to rule out all 50 amp connections when you have a 50 amp rig (you might need it). Also, the A/C is a big driver for 50 amp, but it comes in handy for space heater and other larger electrical loads (hair dryers, microwaves, electric skillets, etc.). Basically, I wouldn't recommend ruling out 50 amp (or go without the surge protection). My 50 amp surge protector saved me at a recent rally in Texas (at a 5 star campground). Hooked it up and it showed around 90 volts and wouldn't switch power on to the unit. I called the campground and at 7:30 on Friday night they sent out an on-call electrician who determined the breakers were bad (I was impressed). They replaced it and I was good. The 50 amp protector also works with the 30 amp adapter. While I was waiting on the electrician, I checked the 30 amp side, it checked out good and I used it until the electrician arrived. I was able to run one A/C and the refrigerator until he got there. Is it worth the extra money? That's your call, but the extra money would be worth it to me to keep my options open.

priorguy

Always go bigger. You never know when and if you might want it and then you would have to buy it once. Buy the right one the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

. . . and if you go with Progressive, the 50 Amp EMS now has basically a no questions asked lifetime warranty. The only cost to you is the postage to progressive. I know of two that they have replaced no questions asked . . . mine and a friend of mine's. At a recent rally in Canton, one entire row had periodic voltage fluctuations and fortunately everyone had EMS protection so what could have been disastorous for the unprotected RVs, turned out to be a simple irritant of the power periodically cutting out for short periods. The resort was aware of the problem and had plans to resolve it.

TXTiger

I agree with the others. For a few dollars more get the 50 amp. I have used mine with a 30 amp adapter in places that did not have have 50 amp hookup, and once when the 50 amp plug was bad and I had to plug into the 30 amp. You never know if you will need it in the future and you will save $$$ by not having to replace a 30 amp EMS. Also as mentioned if you are in a campground that is having problems with their 30 amp plug in, with an adapter and a 50 amp EMS you can still plug into the 50 amp.

Tweitekamp

Thanks everyone. I will just save a few more dollars over the winter and go the 50 amp route. I just hear too many horror stories about electrical issues these days and don't want to ruin a trip over not buying a $350 dollar insurance plan!

stay warm!! 10 degrees and snowing outside! COME ON SUMMER!!!!