Motorcycle tie down

eka217

Look at the Biker Bar by B & W hitches. It works great. No straps, no chocks and easy load. There are many you tube videos.

porthole

Retired
It is an OK bike tie down, but if you use one, I would suggest, at least for the first time or two, you have someone with you when loading the bike.
Steep ramps, no beaver-tail and there is a really good chance you will get hung up at the ramp-garage transition with something like this hanging under the bike.

My bike will bottom out if the trailer is high enough to cause a steeper then normal ramp angle.
And this past fall I did get the bike stuck when unloading at Cape May.

And I still would not trust the clamp alone, I would have at least have two straps on the sides. There is tremendous lateral pressure on the bike when making turns.

eka217

Mine works great. I do put a strap thru the front wheel of my Road King to one of the D rings. The bar makes it easy to get around the bike when it inside.

Hippy

Hello Eka.
Read that you installed the Biker Bar. I'm interested in buying the set and installing it myself. I have a few questions and maybe you can help me.
Are you happy with it? Did you do the install and was it difficult? Was it centered in your garage cargo and was the fuel tank dropped to bolt it to the floor?

eka217

I'm completely satisfied. Instalation was simple. Bolt the backing plates to the underside of the floor. Two bolts hold the locking mechanism to the floor. Nothing underneath to interfere. You do not have to drop the tank. It's very well made and extremely heavy duty. Makes loading and unloading a one person operation. I do put one strap thru the front wheel to the centered d ring in front of the bike ( old school insurance I guess). This set up makes it easy to get around the bike when it's in the garage ( no four corner straps)

Hippy

I'm going to order it and install it myself. Any specific company you bought from?
If you could, would please send me a photo depicting the Biker bars position. Thank you for the info. It sure helps.

eka217

I bought it on the b&w web site. I have a road king. I drove the bike into the trailer ( centered ) and stopped when the rear tire just cleared the beaver tail ( slope in garage floor). There should be a factory installed D ring just in front of the front tire. Then follow the directions from B&W where it should be mounted relative to the frame for your model bike. You can take measurements from the D rings in the floor to make sure it clears everything. Drill the two holes for the bolts thru the floor. Bolt the biker bar to the backing plates then bolt the backing plats to the underside of the garage floor. DONE! I can't get you pictures my trailer is in storage in another location. Hope this helps.

Hippy

Yes. Very helpfull. I have the Ultra classic. I believe frames should be the same. Thanks again for your advice and help.

Hippy

Hello EKA217. It's been approx. 4 weeks since you shared info with me in regards to the Biker Bar. I ordered it and installed it 3 weeks ago. It was an easy install as you said with no complications. The center of the plates where between both gas tanks so I didn't have to drop either of them. Easy removal too. Iv'e hauled the hog in the back already approx. 1,300 miles and the bike hasn't moved. Well worth the money. Thanks again for the info..

eka217

Glad it helped Hippy. I'm going to have extra bottom plates made and install them on a couple of other trailers I have.