Suggested preparations for winter full-timing

Hello,

We decided to go full-timing a couple of years ago and started to down size. We did it in three moves, from our house to a townhouse and then to an apartment. We moved full time into our 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon on April 25, 2013. Our plans were to go to Florida on November 29, 2013 to March 31, 2014. However, I had a stroke on November 14 and now could not leave Canada. As we already had given away our furniture, we had to live in our RV which is located in Southern Ontario. Here is a list of things that we did to ensure that we had a comfortable place to live.

1. Purchased a Pirit Hose (www.pirithos.com) to supply water. It is electric and can be plugged into a 15 amp plug.
  2. Hard piped our sewer drain as the summer ones are known to crack in cold weather.
  3. Skirted in our RV with 2X2 frames and ½ Styrofoam. We choose this method as we do not plan on staying in the RV for another winter. I know that some other members have posted and said that the removal snap on skirting works for them, but look into the make as I had a couple of neighbours that had to use hard skirting as they did not work in windy conditions.
  4. Propane supply, first hooked up two 100# propane tanks, one on each side. We had to purchase new 6’ propane hoses and replaced the ones on the RV so they could reach the tanks. During the coldest time in December the temperature was minus 20 degrees C, (minus 4 degrees F) and a 100# tank would last for 5 days with the temperature in the RV set at 70 degrees F. So that I didn’t have to keep changing the tanks every 5 days, we contacted the local propane supplier who hooked up two 400# tanks. We suggest that you leave your thermostat set at 70 to 72 degrees F as our unit also heats the basement and plumping area so that the piping does not freeze. We also use our fireplace most of the time as it makes the living area more comfortable for reading, using the computer and watching TV.
  5. Put carpet on the stairs as they are very slippery when it snows. We also used indoor / outdoor carpeting (9’ X 12’) outside to make clearing snow easier.
  6. To cut down on the cold draft coming off the windows, we purchased Reflectix Insulation (which can be purchased at Home Depot) and put it over the windows. I first cut them to size and then used Foil Tape around the edges to make it stronger. I used Velcro to attach them to the windrows so we could remove them during the day. We did not put it directly on the window but installed it on the valance around the window. This way there is an air space around the window so that the windows wouldn’t sweat.
  7. One of our neighbours (who doesn’t have a Heartland unit) had to put a weather type of stripping around the slides as they had a draft. We do not have a draft as our unit seals well when the slides are out.
  8. The importance of picking a site became apparent after the ice storm in December. We had not considered this but when we saw how many of the RVs and vehicles in the campground were damaged as a result of falling trees and branches, we will certainly be more careful in the future. We were lucky as we parked our RV away from the mass of trees so we only had to be careful with the falling ice once it got warmer. So you may want to consider this when you pick a spot. Remember, you can’t move the RV easily once it has been prepped for winter full-timing.
  9. As I am still working and travel for my work, it is likely that I could be away from our RV from one day up to a week at a time. Each time we leave the RV for more than one night, I completely winterize the unit. That means empting the holding tanks, draining the hot water tank, blowing out the water lines in the RV and the supply line outside and winterizing the Washer/Dryer unit each time. We also put anti-frieze in the drains and toilet. Even with all this work being done, we set our thermostat at 65 degrees F as it has to keep the basement and holding tanks area warm. I know this can be a lot of work but it is much easier than having to fix frozen lines if the hydro goes off for an extended prior or the furnace breaks down. Yes, we still leave the key with a neighbour who looks in on our RV each day.
  10. With our slide toppers, we didn’t doing anything. Individuals in the park that have stayed in past winters said that they didn’t do anything with the slide toppers so have haven’t done anything as well. I will let you know how they fared in the spring.

I hope this information may help other members. If anyone has additional information, please let us know.

Thanks in advance.

Pat & Leona Skanes
Member Number: 1833
Region: Canada
Chapter: Ontario

2011 Landmark
Grand Canyon
2013 Ford F350 Lariat, 4X4

danemayer

Hi Pat & Leona,

Sorry to hear about your stroke and I hope you're doing better now.

Sounds like you've got winter living down pretty well. One thing I'd suggest is that if you get any significant snowfall, you should support the slideout awnings to prevent of possibility of them tearing from the weight of snow. You can build supports out of 1/2" PVC pipe using some upside down Tees to build a stand for the pipe that supports the fabric.

Dan,

That is a really good idea. But, I will modify it a little. I am going to use plywood as the top of the support and then use 2X2 for the legs. I will make the legs closer to the RV longer so that it matches the angle of the slide topper. I think the plywood would give more support to the awning. Plus a sheet of 3/8 plywood and a couple of 2X2's may be cheaper then PVC piping and fittings.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Pat & Leona Skanes
Member Number: 1833
Region: Canada
Chapter: Ontario

2011 Landmark
Grand Canyon
2011 Ford F350 Lariat, 4X4

Speedy

Pat & Leona,

You have thoroughly thought out you winter hunker down plans and publishing them will help others. I would like to point out that the Pirit heated water hose does not have a good reputation for long term use. While at Campbellsville, KY working for Amazon I knew of three new hoses that failed on the coldest of nights. When I inquired as to what failed they all said he internal heating element shorted an was no repairable. Granted most were going to be replaced under warranty but that was little comfort went you had no water until a new hose arrived.

What I have done over the years is make a heated a hose with heat tape an foam insulation. For extreme climates, use the same heated hose inside a PVC (schedule 30) pipe from faucet to rig.