Changing from 30lb propane tanks to 40lb propane tanks in my 2014 3585RL

tommyboy

We are full timers in Chicago right now and are expecting subzero temperatures in the next few days. We were wondering if 40lb tanks would fit in our camper?

danemayer

Hi tommyboy,

I think the diameter is the same, they're just taller. If you're there for a while, you might contact the local LP distributor and see if they'll deliver a 120 gallon tank. Bulk propane will also probably be a lot less expensive. Four weeks of savings on the propane will probably cover the delivery and pickup charges for the tank.

You might want to take a look at our Water Systems Winter Usage Guide for tips on cold weather usage.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I think if I were in your shoes I'd consider a motel. Seriously though, measure the height and don't forget to insure the pigtail will reach the taller 40# tank.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
The overhead in my 2011 Bighorn propane enclosure is one half inch too short for the stubbiest 40 lb tank I can find.

I would have to move the bottom bracket down, as it is not set low enough to accomodate a 40 lb. tank.

There is plenty of room under the bracket to lower it, so it would be a cut and re-weld project.
I don't know why that wasn't thought of when the tank bracket was welded to the frame in the first place. Trace

Last edited:

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
Yes they fit. I had a 40 lb bottle and put it in my 3585 and you have a bout 4 or 5 inches to spare. I know the 2014s and maybe earlier years of the Big horns take 40 lb bottles.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
What is the height of a 40# tank? I'd consider doing the switch... We got about 4 days out of one 30# tank, daily temps from 40* high to 14* low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommyboy

Thanks for the info... we purchased 2 40# propane tanks which fit with no problems. Hopefully we'll make it through the next few days without incident. It's supposed to get down to -17 tonight.

mobilcastle

Where are you in FL that is going to be -14? Or do you reside in FL and are somewhere else right now?
Thanks for the info... we purchased 2 40# propane tanks which fit with no problems. Hopefully we'll make it through the next few days without incident. It's supposed to get down to -17 tonight.

Theresau

Wouldn't it be better just to have a small pig installed? The larger tanks are heavier. We are thankful that ours our only 30#. Heavy enough.

My understanding when analyzing the 2014's is that the 2014 BH can handle the 40# tanks now.

tommyboy

Wouldn't it be better just to have a small pig installed? The larger tanks are heavier. We are thankful that ours our only 30#. Heavy enough.

My understanding when analyzing the 2014's is that the 2014 BH can handle the 40# tanks now.
We wanted larger tanks because due to the subzero temperatures we will be using more propane.

tommyboy

So far so good.
bighorn did ok 4 days with high of -5 degrees and the low of -16 and when i dumped on day 4 my valves were frozen. i just finished skirting with foam board and put a ceramic heater by my drain lines everything is ok love my bighorn

G-ville

Hi tommyboy,

I think the diameter is the same, they're just taller. If you're there for a while, you might contact the local LP distributor and see if they'll deliver a 120 gallon tank. Bulk propane will also probably be a lot less expensive. Four weeks of savings on the propane will probably cover the delivery and pickup charges for the tank.

You might want to take a look at our Water Systems Winter Usage Guide for tips on cold weather usage.

First big questioned answered for my Bighorn Silverado . Cold snap has been using those 30# bottles pretty quick (2-3 days) and I have been trying to keep the coach warm enough before we head south on our 1st trip out of state. Thanks!