Hard to light oven

Is there such a thing as an oven that can be lit by ignition spark like the stove top? If not, why? If yes, where can I find it? We have a L shaped kitchen and it's hard to light the oven without almost standing on my head and holding in the pilot for what seems like an hour and then the lighter goes out and I have to start all over again. Suggestions? I have thought about taking it out and finding a convection oven that fits in the space and getting a stove top.

Rrloren

{I have thought about taking it out and finding a convection oven}

We bought a toaster oven that's big enough to handle most of our needs and very rarely do I have to light the oven. I don't think I lit it in the last 2 yrs.
We were able to dedicate enough cabinet space to store the toaster oven , if you use all your cabinets then this may not be an option for you.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I remember someone on here added an ignitor to their oven...not sure who it was...hopefully they will reply, or maybe a search will bring up the thread.

MC9

Hi Ken, I put an ignitor on our oven (we use it a lot). Went to a big box store and got one for a bbq and just followed directions. I could go on and on about installation and such but, it is not brain surgery. What is really nice is to find the 4 ignitor model and do the whole stove. Beats the heck out of the piezo thing..

marvmarcy

I replaced the noisy piezo igniter on the stove top with an electric push button igniter and installed another for the oven. They work well, but if you haven't used the oven for awhile, it takes a long time to get gas flowing and ignited. The oven required a long spark tip bent to fire in the gas flow, but it was not a difficult installation. We use our oven often, especially when in dry camp most of the winter in Key West. We also use a Nesco 6 qt oven roaster because it uses only 760 watts from the generator and is thermostatically controlled with a range of 100-450 degrees. Right now the generator is running and the Nesco is full of country style ribs. I'm sitting under the awning and it is a sunny 82* -- just had to add that for all you folks dealing with the snow and cold.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Hi Ken, I put an ignitor on our oven (we use it a lot). Went to a big box store and got one for a bbq and just followed directions. I could go on and on about installation and such but, it is not brain surgery. What is really nice is to find the 4 ignitor model and do the whole stove. Beats the heck out of the piezo thing..

thanks! might look for that multiple ignitor system....we opted to not have an oven in the Landmark as I really hardly used it in the Bighorn. We are, however, tired of constantly having to fix the wires (they short out on the bottom of the stove) on the piezo system in this stove...drives me nuts!

dbbls59

I have found that I can light the burner without waiting for the pilot to light. Hold a flame on the pilot for a while, turn the oven on and it will start.

wdk450

My method is to use a seconds timer, my ears, and a long butane "match" lighter.
Step 1 is to put the control on "pilot" and hold it in for 40 seconds. This gives time to get the air out of the pilot system and get the gas present. Step 2 is to keep holding the pilot knob in and wave the lighted butane "match" lighter around under the middle of the oven where the pilot light is. When it lights you will hear it. Step 3 is keep the control pressed in for another 40 seconds and the pilot will heat the bulb enough to light the main burner. Release the pilot (oven) control and turn the control up to the desired oven temperature.

This works every time for me, and I don't have to crawl on the floor to SEE the pilot light. Just a little reaching and holding the control in. The main secret is the first 40 seconds standing there just getting the pilot gas to flow BEFORE you try to light it.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I also have been doing about the same as Bill suggested.
If I look closely, I can also see the pilot glowing in a reflection from the bottom of the oven after it lights.
Once I noticed this, I don't stand on my head anymore. Trace

eddylives

I placed a piece of mirror finish stainless steel on the bottom of our oven.
Once you figure out the reflection its easy to light

Thanks everyone! I guess I don't hold the knob in long enough so I'll try that and maybe I won't get all the blood rushing to my head. I'll get the morror finish item too, can't be too thourough.:)

Flyboy470

Like everyone else it's hard to light the pilot - add artificial knees and it's a pain. So, I got to thinking: The following items allowed me to light the oven, standing up, three consecutive times in less than 10 minutes at no cost to me using items I had around the house. The mirror shown happens to be from an old set of trailer mirrors I had out in the garage. Any small mirror will probably work with a brace to hold at the correct angle- this has a swivel and suction cups to stick to the open oven door. The light is a cheap LED flash light/area light, battery powered with a very helpful magnet on the back. The gas lighter is the one I use to light the BBQ. I insert the light about half way back into the bottom area of the oven and stick to the left wall (facing oven) - have the light turned on to the area light setting. Set the mirror so that it shows the pilot assembly (does it much better than laying on the floor. With a bit of practice the pilot lights very quickly.
oven lighter 002A.jpgoven lighter 004A.jpg

Attachments

• oven lighter 004.jpg
    oven lighter 004.jpg
    855.9 KB · Views: 32