Road Side Assistance: Coach.net vs Good Sam

jo9463

Looking into getting road side assistance. Didn't have it when i needed it, but better late than never. Consider it - lesson learned. I've heard about Coach.net and I've heard some good and some bad stories about Good Sam club.

We had Good Sam at one time. We bought it and ended up needing to use it about 3 days later. We were told we couldn't use it because our check hasn't cleared. We used a credit card. Hubby told them to cancel it.

Which is better? Which would you suggest and which package?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Looking into getting road side assistance. Didn't have it when i needed it, but better late than never. Consider it - lesson learned. I've heard about Coach.net and I've heard some good and some bad stories about Good Sam club.

We had Good Sam at one time. We bought it and ended up needing to use it about 3 days later. We were told we couldn't use it because our check hasn't cleared. We used a credit card. Hubby told them to cancel it.

Which is better? Which would you suggest and which package?

We have always had and used several time the Good Sam ERS. The last time we called we waited 50 minutes for a call back and I had the tire changed myself by the time they called back. One time we had to wait 6 hours to get a tow. Don't know about Coach Net but have heard good and bad about them too. We also get mail offering KOA road service. Out friend had AAA road service and had good luck with them too. Many options out there.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We have road side as a part of our Progressive insurance policy. I've used it twice and it has been very reliable. You might check with your insurer for availability.

chiefneon

Howdy!

I had Good Sams ERS (GS ERS) for years. We had a breakdown on our way to Alaska in the Yukon. No phone service and mile away from any. RCMP show up and contact a tow service over his radio and tow us into Bever Creek Yukon. When we arrived I used thier phone to contact GS ERS. They refused to pay for the tow stateing I had not called and received authorization, even after I explained I was unable to and was towed by RCMP. I then advised them I could not receive repairs to my RV at the location I had been towed to and was advised I would have to be towed to Anchorage, Alaska. GS ERS also refused this tow also. GS ERS stiffed me with a $2,000.00 towing bill. I cancelled GS ERS and now have Coach Net (CN) they have been great. I used CN when our Smart Car had a flat. Smart Cars don't have spare tires so CN picked us up and towed us to a near by Discount Tire store. I also use CN last year in Newfoundland. Starter went out on our MDT call them and they sent our a HDT and trailer loaded up our MDT and all they wanted to know was were I wanted it towed to. Great customer service from CN.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Manzan

We have had GS for several years and have had good response when needed. One time it did take a couple of hours to get someone out to give me a hand but we were way out in the boonies in Montana. The person who finally made it out to us drove around 70 miles just to get air in the spare tire. Very pleasant and efficient. One point learned, check the air in the spare!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Re: Road Side Assistance: Coach.net vs Good Sam . . .

We have Good Sam's Roadside Assistance and used them last summer out in the middle of Nowhere, Nebraska on our way back to Colorado from a week in South Dakota.

I skipped by a gas station that was lined up about three blocks (the day before Sturgis), thinking there had to be another gas station nearby (NOT!).

We still had 3/4 of a tank . . .

Anyway, 17 miles north of Alliance, Nebraska, and not seeing another gas station, we found a nice roadside spot (see photo below) where we enjoyed lunch in the trailer while we waited about an hour before a tow truck arrived with five gallons of gas.

I was quite surprised that there was cell service out there!

Turns out that this event was a godsend as our unplanned lunch stop made us avoid a huge hail storm that probably would have done major damage to our Trail Runner!

All I paid for was the gas . . . the rest picked up by Good Sam's!

So . . . a big thumbs up for Good Sam's!

OutOfGasInNebraska-IMG1198.jpg

Paul & Nan

Re: Road Side Assistance: Coach.net vs Good Sam . . .

We have had GS road service for many years and it has more than paid for itself. Example: Dec 2011 we were headed into Memphis, TN, we lost wheel, hub, etc. GS RS was called, this was a Saturday afternoon, they sent a repair service, who then called a tow truck. We were towed on a flat bed, thru Memphis. it took 4 hours to go 20 miles due to no oversize permit as that could not be obtained without us sitting on the road till Monday, and cost mega bucks. GS paid $1500, no question other than what took that long. In 2010 we had GS road service come as it turned out we had lost part of our springs, they sent a knowledgeable repair person within and hour or two. They got us to a safe location and a day later had us fixed. In 2013 we had another problem in central IL, called GS roadservice, they had someone to us within a couple of hours and we were fixed and back on the road ASAP. In all these cases we were not out any money except for actual repairs. We have a couple more stories from before we had Heartland products.

So, in our opinion Good Sam Road Service is well worth it.