Slide and Level up hydraulics keep shutting down. Now Fixed!

hriker

We have a 2011 Heartland Landmark and are having a problem with the hydraulic shutting down while operating the slides and level up system. I have found a thread which describes the problem exactly:

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/31246-I-need-help-with-slideout-and-autolevel-issues

Cookie and a few others indicated the issue is a 50 amp weak breaker for the hydraulic pump. The thread indicated to trace the heavy red wire to the breaker. That's not possible in our case as that wire runs under the coach up into the battery box area on our door side. I believe I have identified the breakers but which one is for the hydraulic pump I can't tell. I have attached a pic.

IMG_0383.jpg

You will notice there are 3 heavy red wires attached to 2 breakers. Is there a way other then tracing the wire to determine which of the 2 breakers goes to the hydraulic pump? The previous thread indicated its a 50 amp breaker and there may be only 1 of those. I don't see the amps noted on the breakers so I assume that it's on the back side of them. The thread also indicated that the breaker can be obtained at NAPA. So an auto parts store would have them correct? If anyone has replaced this breaker in a Landmark and knows which breaker goes to the hydraulic pump that would be great. I have never done any repairs on a 12 volt system so I have no experience in this area.

I know I will need to disconnect the the battery and shore power to remove the breaker so I plan to do it Thursday when the cold breaks a little and I can have the heat off for a while.

Thanks in advance.

bdb2047

Re: Slide and Level up hydraulics kep shutting down

I have an 11 Grand Canyon. The 2nd from right is for hyd. pump on mine. The first on right is converter. I did some re-wiring because of same issue you are having
.Goldmine 002.jpg

hriker

Dave thank you so much for your reply. I would think Heartland lays them out the same on all their rigs. Makes it easier for repairs. At least I hope so. I didn't know what those other breakers were for as well. I will document those location for future information. Is the breaker labeled on the back and are they automatic resetting breakers?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

bdb2047

Nothing labeled I believe they are all auto reset. I removed wires and looked to see what quit working. There is a factory diagram in manuals but did not match actual wiring. The one I have labeled for brakes is not factory,it is for disc brake pump.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Dave has identified the correct breaker for you.
It is a 50 amp self resetting. The other breaker,the one with two heavy wires, should have a tiny reset button on the side of it. Take a look when you are in there.
If you cannot get the 50 amp breaker at the auto parts store, you should be able to find one at a marine dealer or possibly an RV dealer.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Agree - it's the 2nd from the right.

The breaker on the far right has battery power coming into the bottom of the breaker and feeding across the copper buss bar to the bottom of the other breakers. The wire on the top of that far right breaker is routed to the Power Converter.

hriker

Thank you everyone. You have all been a great help. Dan thanks for info on battery power and converter power. I thought that might be what they were but didn't want to assume. The knowledge you guys have about the heartland products sure makes my life easier when things happen. And they will no matter what make or brand you own. Will post back after the fix to let you know how I made out.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

In the picture, there does not appear to be any wire going to the second breaker from the right. Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

In the picture, there does not appear to be any wire going to the second breaker from the right. Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The pic in post #2?
He has added the 80 amp breaker so the wire was re-routed to a different breaker.
Look closely.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Here's your photo with annotations reflecting my understanding.

Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg

hriker

Re: Slide and Level up hydraulics keep shutting down

Success!! I replaced the hydraulic pump breaker this morning and now the slides and level up are working properly again. Thank you so much for your help. As always the Heartland owners forum is the place to go because there are so many knowledgeable and helpful people here. Thanks again.

donr827

Love to hear about a quick solution to a problem.
Don

Hippy

Should everybody consider replacing/upgrading from a 50 amp to an 80 amp. Even on the new 2014's?
Wouldn't want to wait till a problem came up..

Gizzy

Should everybody consider replacing/upgrading from a 50 amp to an 80 amp. Even on the new 2014's?
Wouldn't want to wait till a problem came up..

It is up to you. I had the same problem and just replaced with another 50 amp and also keep a spare (50 amp) on hand just in case another breaker goes bad. I prefer to keep the same rating of breaker. I guess the fear of going higher just might cause problems.

Hippy

Hi Jerry. Reason I asked I believe I read in another thread that Heartland recommended 80 amp if having to replace the 50amp. But my thoughts are wth you. There's a reason heartland keeps putting on 50amps. So I'll keep extras. Thanks.

hriker

We replaced our breaker with another of the same size. But we are now carrying a spare in case it should occur again. The original lasted three years so I hope it will last a while. Took about 30 minutes to replace and relevel. There is a reason that Heartland installed a 50 amp breaker and I wouldn't feel comfortable installing a larger breaker. JMO

danemayer

Hi Jerry. Reason I asked I believe I read in another thread that Heartland recommended 80 amp if having to replace the 50amp. But my thoughts are wth you. There's a reason heartland keeps putting on 50amps. So I'll keep extras. Thanks.
At one time Lippert had a service bulletin that recommended an 80amp breaker as a solution. I think that service bulletin has been withdrawn.

If a new breaker doesn't fix the problem, there's probably a reason it's tripping; like low battery voltage, a bind in the mechanical system, or a loose wire.

bdb2047

At national rally while Lippert was doing oil additive my breaker would trip and would get a low voltage warning on control panel. Lippert tech said should be a 80a for pump and #6 wire. I question #6 wire he said by RV codes was good for 90a. I installed a 70a,was what I had,it has worked without problem since. SOB that I had before had same issue and they put a 30a breaker in parallel with the 50a. Worked fine. I also ran a sepperate feed from battery switch. I have tripped the 70a in cold weather,20s, but do not get low voltage warning. Just for info.

Hippy

Thanks for the add info. I'll keep the extra 50a. If it becomes a problem I'll go with an 80a.

TedS

I replaced my 50amp breaker that kept tripping and the service tech measured peak current of 76 amps with the 80amp breaker and haven't looked back.