Pressure for Firestone air bags, Not Goodyear. :)

Garypowell

Last week I installed a pair of Goodyear air bags. Then realized I did not have a pressure gauge that would read down to 5 psi. Solved that with Northern Tool.

I had had to move the RV today as the guy next to me in storage parked too close to me such that I could not open one slide. Once hooked up I measured the pressure and it was 35 psi and the bags looked flat. Since I was only jogging the unit around I did not take the time to fill up to higher pressure.

It seems I recall reading most say 5 psi empty and about 35 when loaded. Have I missed something? I know many say "fill till level" and I was about level. But the manual says the bags should be extended to 5.5. - 6.5 inches and they were more like 4.5 and as I said FLAT.

Thanks in advance.

kkamshop

Re: Pressure for Goodyear air bags

All pin weights are different so air bag psi will be different. I carry 45-50 psi depends on how I pack.

Rrloren

My unit is a bit lighter and I need 25 psi to be level, empty under 10 psi.

DocFather

I have Air Lift bags and compressor on the truck I now own and use for my 4100. My previous truck was a GMC Sierra 1500 with an Amerideck Lift for my bike. I had Firestone Bags on that truck and followed the operator's manual guideline of 1 psi/50# of lift. Since the lift assembly by itself weighed 500#, I always kept 5#/bag when running without my bike. The Firestone bags were bought in October of 2011. Unless the design changed in the last 2 years, that is what the manufacturer recommended. I hope that helps

porthole

Retired

Gary, the 5 psi minimum is what Firestone and Air Lift recommend running unloaded, seems Goodyear follows along.
On my last truck I just filled the bags till the truck was level. The height measurement is an ideal height, not something that must be or is always easy to follow.

Which Goodyear bags do you have? Bellows or rolling?

My current bags are the rolling lobe type, and I think that is the reason for the height measurement. Too low of a working pressure (bag ride height) and the bag is always excessively rolled over the piston.

mlburst1

We run 5 psi empty - 20 psi loaded - truck and trailer are level.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member

Last week I installed a pair of Goodyear air bags. Then realized I did not have a pressure gauge that would read down to 5 psi. Solved that with Northern Tool.

I had had to move the RV today as the guy next to me in storage parked too close to me such that I could not open one slide. Once hooked up I measured the pressure and it was 35 psi and the bags looked flat. Since I was only jogging the unit around I did not take the time to fill up to higher pressure.

It seems I recall reading most say 5 psi empty and about 35 when loaded. Have I missed something? I know many say "fill till level" and I was about level. But the manual says the bags should be extended to 5.5. - 6.5 inches and they were more like 4.5 and as I said FLAT.

Thanks in advance.

The no load installation height has everything to do with loaded psi height. Final loaded psi height setting depends on if your bags were installed compressed or extended.

Garypowell

Thanks everyone. I guess what I am learning is that being level is the most important thing....and keeping some pressure when not loaded. Just like everything else it will take some time for me to get used to this new wrinkle.

The only sad thing I have learned is that I wrote "goodyear" when I should have written "firestone". My only excuse is being very tired last night after working out in the cold all day on the Rig.

But I think the advice above is good no matter who makes them....just not really sure why "goodyear" came out of brain. So Duane, I am not sure if they are rolled or not....but they are just standard Firestone kind....

DocFather

Thanks everyone. I guess what I am learning is that being level is the most important thing....and keeping some pressure when not loaded. Just like everything else it will take some time for me to get used to this new wrinkle.

The only sad thing I have learned is that I wrote "goodyear" when I should have written "firestone". My only excuse is being very tired last night after working out in the cold all day on the Rig.

But I think the advice above is good no matter who makes them....just not really sure why "goodyear" came out of brain. So Duane, I am not sure if they are rolled or not....but they are just standard Firestone kind....

Well, I am not sure there is a "Firestone Blimp" but when I think of air in a closed space, I think of Goodyear too! HA HA!

jnbhobe

I feel better now I've been looking all over for Goodyear air bags. lol

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders

I know every airbag manufacturer has their "official" specs for how much air pressure to run under various conditions of being loaded or unloaded and every driver usually comes up with their own optimal pressure. What I have found over the years is not to worry about an exact pressure on my Firestone bags but to hook up my coach, retract the landing gear putting all the weight on the hitch and then air the bags until I see a slight separation between the bottom leaf of the truck springs and the rest of the leaf stack, even if it is not perfectly level. This tells me that I have taken the majority of the "load" off the springs so now they can do the job of flexing and cushioning the ride when I hit a bump. But do not put to much separation between the bottom leaf or other leafs or all you end up doing is making the airbags stiff and then they will not give enough to smooth the ride. I have a Hensley TS3 hitch and air it up to make the coach level, so combined with that I get a really smooth ride. I have tried many, many air pressure combinations over the years and so far have not found one to beat my current method. But alas, to each their own. (Footnote: There are some roads in this great country of ours where nothing will smooth out the ride. LOL)

Ricky

Garypowell

Ricky,

thanks. Your advice might be the best of the bunch. Of course I asked an air pressure question so generally got air pressure answers.

We are generally always the same pin weight and unfortunately over a little for the truck...hence the air bags. I ruined a set of spring between 96 - 98 full timing with an 18,000 pound Travel Supreme in a 2500 Dodge Diesel. So I am trying to be more proactive this time.

And before i get too many posts that airbags don't increase the capacity of the truck I know this. Just trying to make it easier as you point out spreading out the load.

We have a fairly good ride but I would like for it to be a little smoother and think these bags are a good first step. If not then it will be on to the pin box to see what can be done there.

But out back to your method......I think that is what I will do. I know the separation you are talking about and I will monitor that.

thanks again.

porthole

Retired

Goodyear makes bags as well as Firestone and Air Lift for the light truck market.

Rolling Bags, the bottom plate is shaped like a cone and the bag rolls over the lower plate. Unless you take the bags on my truck. This pic shows the bag tends to roll over the top plate.

Bags_as_removed.jpg

Which becomes an issue because on the Ford this "roll" rolls right into a sheared edge of the frame. This pic shows the bag cut, very first trip :mad:

Old_Right_1.jpg

This is a bellows type

bellow.jpg

Some bags are now equipped with an internal bumper that allow a "no air" ride.
Some also are now equipped with some sort of internal height limit, such as a limiting cable.

As you look for your best ride, i would start low and add air until you get the ride - height that is good for you.

I feel better now I've been looking all over for Goodyear air bags. lol

Here ya go Jon

http://www.goodyearep.com/ProductsSubCategories.aspx?folderid=1346

Attachments

• rolling.jpg
    rolling.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 31

emm4273610re

I let all the air out sitting level in the driveway. Measured the height from driveway to fender flare. Then hooked up camper, raised/inflated bags until truck fender measured empty height. My psi is 50 to 55psi. Try to keep it simple. The truck should be level loaded as it is empty. it will keep drive line in spec as well as keep a nice ride. Have fun.

scottyb

I let all the air out sitting level in the driveway. Measured the height from driveway to fender flare. Then hooked up camper, raised/inflated bags until truck fender measured empty height. My psi is 50 to 55psi. Try to keep it simple. The truck should be level loaded as it is empty. it will keep drive line in spec as well as keep a nice ride. Have fun.

I did the same exact process to establish my baseline pressure.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

When considering how much pressure to run in the air bags keep in mind that as you add pressure you shift the center of weight and can really affect the pin weight by adding or subtracting air pressure. This also will affect how many pounds your tires are carrying. By keeping the rig level you should be at the optimum.