Changing from day/night shades to blinds?

Fonz46

We have a new BH 3570RS and are considering changing the day/night shades to residential style horizontal blinds. The style blinds we prefer are the faux blinds in a white or neutral color. I would appreciate any suggestions or comments from others who have gone down this road. One particular question is what width blinds will fit in the window valences. The only stock blinds I have found are 2 inch blinds, but seem like I might need 1 or 1 1/2 inch blinds which seem to have to be special ordered and would be more expensive.

f250dieseldad

We changed ours to blinds. We used 1@1/2 inch blinds. Stock blinds at lowes. They also cut to size. We just had to shorten them. I took the valences off and just had to remove one layer of the valence. There is a black liner that I removed. Not a very hard job. Just take your time.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I did several windows with custom ordered blinds from Home D. You'll have to measure your side bolsters and valence for clearance but 1" should be fine. I used 1-3/8 for the rear window.

Attachments

• Dinette Blinds.jpg
    Dinette Blinds.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 254
  • Loveseat Blinds 2.jpg
    Loveseat Blinds 2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 235
  • Rear Window Blinds.jpg
    Rear Window Blinds.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 252

Gary521

Did you change to the blinds for the way that they look or a functional reason? I find that the day/night shades do not block light very well. If there is a light outside, it may keep me awake. Do the blinds do a good job of blocking unwanted light?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Another option for the blinds is to go with verticals. Does require a little bit of woodworking skill, but not overly difficult. We definitely did not like the original day/night blinds over the rear window. Doing the windows by the dining table and sofa are on this year's "Roundtoit" list.

View attachment 28042

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Did you change to the blinds for the way that they look or a functional reason? I find that the day/night shades do not block light very well. If there is a light outside, it may keep me awake. Do the blinds do a good job of blocking unwanted light?

I think the main reason was easier access for raising and lowering the blinds. Only one hand needed. With the shades, reaching over furniture was difficult.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

dave10a

I was considering changing to another type because the strings in some of mine were wearing out and needed replacing about every month or so. I visited the Winnebago mfg plant and learned that when they are properly installed with the correct tension the wear and tear on the strings greatly diminish. I then properly adjusted mine and walla no abnormal wear for over a year now. Winnebago set the tension using a gauge for that purpose-- I wonder when Heartland is going to properly set the tension on the strings :) BTY if and when the present blinds need new strings I will replace blinds with the new type Heartland is using (or home style) in the Landmarks.

MTPockets

Recently ordered MCD shade for our large rear window. Due to ship 1/17. Can't wait to get it in. This is what we saw on new Landmark recently.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We have the MCD shades and they are great!! The solid shade blocks virtually all light, and the solar shade really cuts down on heat. It actually gets like a cave when we close the solid shade...AND it takes only two fingers to operate them...up or down.

kakampers

MCD is a brand rv shade that originated in high end motor home. They were often motorized and incorporate a solid darkening shade and a black mesh solar shade. They have nowmade their way into high end fivers in a manual format. Can be operated with 2 fingers and are MUCH better than regular rv day/ night shades.

ParkIt

Have seen those and a wee bit jealous you swapped yours out for those. It will be awhile before I can afford to put those in...by that time I may just upgrade the entire unit ;)

dave10a

The MDC are nice but pricey. I think i can get more selection and buck bang at lowes or home despot though.

kakampers

Have seen those and a wee bit jealous you swapped yours out for those. It will be awhile before I can afford to put those in...by that time I may just upgrade the entire unit ;)

That's how we got ours! Wouldn't place the order till they became available....

yport

Our new 2014 BIG HORN came off the assembly line with the new MCD roller shades. After 2 other RVs with the day/night shades ... and replacing broken strings 3 times ... these things are AWESOME. I see on the new build sheet they are an $1100 "forced option" but we lucked out since ours was on the assembly line when the made the upgrade and got them no added costs. If you can swing for them .. you will LOVE them.

bdunker

We have a 3570, 2012, a year ago we ordered and received Room darkening Box shades from an inter net source, they work extremely well, but were a bit of work to install, we got all but two that have a spring system that holds them open and is very easy to use, two had to have a conventional string to open close due to width. If you orser get the half inch thick as they are easier to mount under the existing trim, during the heat of Las Vegas in summer they successfully limited the sun coming in and therefore enabled the ACs to keep up ans shut down frequently. Absolute darkness regardless of time and sun.