Sundance SD XLT 245RL

Yá'át'ééh;
Greetings. New to the forum and I am inquiring about the 14' XLT 245 RL. Have located a couple and hopefully will get to look at em in the next couple of months. They are about a 160 miles from us and over 2 major mountain passes that are covered with snow & ice right now, so we won't be able get there for awhile. We've pulled TT's the last 35 years & right now we tow a 8600# 31' TT with a 13' F-150 XLT HD Ecoboost 8200 GVWR & 2172 payload and DW wants a shorter RV & possibly move over to a small 5'er. Anyone that owns one and would care to share any info (good & bad) about em would be appreciated. We have 3 ... 1/2 ton towables on our radar, but haven't been able to see em yet. Also anyone towing a small 5'er with an Ecoboost, please give your thoughts of towing a 5'er with your Ecoboost.

Thank you
campinfool

jimtoo

Hi campinfool,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure some of our other family members will jump in soon with some information for you.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

iaflatlander

My wife and I own a 2012, 245 RL Sundance. We pull it with a 2012, Ecoboost with a 3.53 rear end. We have added Timbrens to stiffen the suspension. Seems like the payload for ours was 1700 lbs.

Simply stated, this is one sweet rig. Last summer we drove to Alaska and back (11,700 miles), with no problems whatsoever. The truck had no trouble with any of the mountain passes along the way. In fact, I could pick the speed we topped them.

The 245 is plenty big for the two of us. The dog even has her own spot, with room to spare.

I'd buy this outfit again in a heartbeat. Hope this helps. PM with any questions you may have.

wingerbls

Hi campinfool,

I'm new to the forum myself, but I am the proud owner of a 2009 XLT 245RL, purchased in late summer 2013. I haven't had the pleasure of taking it to Alaska yet like iaflatlander, but it's on the list. I tow mine with a 2011 F150, EcoBoost, with the max-tow package. The truck doesn't even work up a sweat. It'll pull a 245RL anywhere you want to take it.
The coach itself seems well built, and has everything we want (and then some). We are very happy with our purchase.
Good luck with your search!

Brian

Thanks for all the replies. Still haven't been able to make it over the passes yet. Was going to go this weekend and as luck would have it, more snow storms moving in and the passes are snow packed again.