Replace 235/85R16G with 265/75R16E

todalake

Has anybody replaced trailer tires with the above combination. I have the 235/85R16G Freestar tires that came with the upgraded axle/tire combination. Of course now that I've read all the threads, I probably should have stayed with the E tires and upgraded them to Michelins. The tires above are almost the same diameter but 2nd tire is wider. The advantage of the 265 is 3415# per tire and I can get it in Michelins. If I stay with the 235/85 the only non-Chinese tire available is Goodyear614's. The smaller 235 E Michelin is rated 3042#. Diameter is 31.73 vs 31.65. Yes, I know the G tire is 3750# but trailer is 14K max, got the bigger axles for safety margin.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Not knowing how much wider the 265's are you may have to be concerned about sidewall clearance when manuvering or turning tight radius corners. If you really feel the need to replace them, why not go with the Goodyear G614's?

ct0218

The chinese tires may be OK under your circumstances because the will be loaded well under the max, which means less stress and less chance for failure. Seems to me that going with a wider tire will give you a larger contact patch but more resistance in a tight turn (more stress on the sidewall). Loading those chinese tires anywhere near max is probably a prime reason for the failures but with a 2800 lb margin just in the upgrade alone I would think it would be OK, especially if you travel lightly-even less weight to carry and you're adding to that 2800 lb margin.