Re: Dometic thermostat controls

Only my 2nd post, but since we're talkn design, why didn't, on my 2014 Cyclone 4000 elite, designers think we might want a lighted thermostat control. Anytime, i want to change temp on any of my 3 Dometics, i have to get a flashlight as they are not the light type. In middle of night it's pretty annoying to have to use flashlight or turn on light just to see what the thermostat temp is set on.

Pretty happy overall with unit, but not enough room in my garage for new Harley Street Glide and bicycle. I have noticed that since there's not even a Class C hitch on back to load bicycle rack, i may have to have one fabricated. I have tried to locate a factory model that i could install myself, but no luck. I understand warranty concerns if i wanted to install a Class A, but i just want to hang a bicycle.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

My Dometic thermostat control lights up when I touch any of the buttons.

DocFather

Not sure what you mean about the Street Glide not fitting in the garage? I have the same garage and and a new Ultra Classic CVO (6" longer) and have hauled a second bagger on occasion. Did I misunderstand your post?

My Dometic Thermostats also light up when depressing any button.

remoandiris

I haven't noticed the a/c controls, but my GL1500 is centered in the garage with 2 bikes on the left and a kayak on the right.

This is the bike rack I use. I hook one end of a ratchet strap to the front left floor loop in the garage and the other end to the rear left floor loop in the garage. I loop the strap around one of the rack crossbars to secure the rack in place.

http://www.amazon.com/Racor-PBS-2R-...TF8&qid=1389645201&sr=8-15&keywords=bike+rack

The front tire of the bicycles are simply put into the rack. No strapping at all and they don't move. I also use this rack outside the coach for the bikes when at a campground. That way I have the entire garage for living space.

DocFather

I haven't noticed the a/c controls, but my GL1500 is centered in the garage with 2 bikes on the left and a kayak on the right.

This is the bike rack I use. I hook one end of a ratchet strap to the front left floor loop in the garage and the other end to the rear left floor loop in the garage. I loop the strap around one of the rack crossbars to secure the rack in place.

http://www.amazon.com/Racor-PBS-2R-...TF8&qid=1389645201&sr=8-15&keywords=bike+rack

The front tire of the bicycles are simply put into the rack. No strapping at all and they don't move. I also use this rack outside the coach for the bikes when at a campground. That way I have the entire garage for living space.

LOL - you added another bicycle and a kayak since your initial post. Why not wrap the bicycles in blankets and snug them between the 2 garage beds? Your Harley windshield would not interfere with the beds only lowered a for or two. Also, putting the Street Glide on the left, and not centered would give you the room and use of the side door. Just a suggestion. I have been hauling motorcycles for 50+ years... there is always a solution

TXTiger

I have a 2012 Cyclone 4014. It has a 14 foot garage. I haul a 2011 CVO Street Glide on the left side and still have plenty of room. I have hauled the Harley on the left with 2 bicycles and a big BBQ on the right. Not sure why you think you don't have room even with only a 12 ft garage.

DocFather

I have a 2012 Cyclone 4014. It has a 14 foot garage. I haul a 2011 CVO Street Glide on the left side and still have plenty of room. I have hauled the Harley on the left with 2 bicycles and a big BBQ on the right. Not sure why you think you don't have room even with only a 12 ft garage.

Two Toes, I believe you have a 12' garage unless you special-ordered one. But Remoandiris sorry Jimmie James added a second bicycle, a bike rack and a Kayak to the initial post, is why I recommended the "bed sandwich!" LOL

remoandiris

But Remoandiris added a second bicycle, a bike rack and a Kayak to the initial post, is why I recommended the "bed sandwich!" LOL

I'm not the OP.

FYI, my Dometic controls are NOT backlit either, just like the OP. Interesting.

pegmikef

FYI, my Dometic controls are NOT backlit either, just like the OP. Interesting.

Nor do mine. I just emailed DometicUSA and asked what the deal was. I suspect it is a matter of different model thermostats.

danemayer

We have the Dometic Single Zone LCD thermostat in the living room and the Dometic Comfort Control Center thermostat in the bedroom.

The bedroom is backlit and lights up when you press a button (if it's on). The living room is not backlit.

Thanks for help, us newbies are always open to great ideas you pros have. Having only 10' garage, little more difficult to move Harley around, but will certainly look into the bike rack or just laying bike between beds, though that would be last resort for me. As wisely stated, this shouldn't be this difficult to resolve. After just retiring from 34yrs in Law Enforcement working streets of Houston, Texas, this eezy peezy...

pegmikef

We have the Dometic Single Zone LCD thermostat in the living room and the Dometic Comfort Control Center thermostat in the bedroom.

The bedroom is backlit and lights up when you press a button (if it's on). The living room is not backlit.

That explains that for mine anyway because I have the Single Zone one. Thanks Dan

It has also occurred to me that the heat pump will only come on when living room thermostat heater is engaged. I cannot turn heater on with either the bdrm or garage Dometics, only a/c, yet they are the exact same thermostats, which probably explains whole problem. Whereas you have different Dometics in each area, i don't. I even looked at replacing them myself, but Dometic website list mine at $223.00, thus i will put up with annoyance till they fail...lol

Noticed you attended rallies in Spring/Montgomery, Tx...interesting since i patrolled in Spring and lived in Montgomery before selling home last April and becoming full timer. Just couldn't deal with all drama in Houston area and am now wintering in Tucson before heading to Sedona for spring. Be safe

danemayer

It has also occurred to me that the heat pump will only come on when living room thermostat heater is engaged. I cannot turn heater on with either the bdrm or garage Dometics, only a/c, yet they are the exact same thermostats, which probably explains whole problem.
A heat pump is an air conditioner that is capable of running backwards. It's the same machine as the air conditioner. If your living room air conditioner is the heat pump, the thermostat that is wired to control the living room machine controls both the air conditioner and the heat pump functions. The other thermostats are wired to control the other air conditioners.

So why would they only make one a/c the heat pump as well. That means if i want to adjust heat, i have to always go to living room control to do it. I sleep in the bdrm and have guests who sleep in garage and to get up in middle of night if we need more or less heat means turning on light somewhere cause they didn't think to install lighted Dometics, thus we're back to my orig complaint...just sayn..lol