1st camp with mpg 185

rle9599

IMG_20140111_084510_225.jpgSpent the weekend at Brazos Bend State Park, TX. No significant problems other than: 1) I left my ice cooler outside - Coons broke in and stole/ate all my food (that won't happen again), 2) Norcold fridge doesn't cool - mpg is level, fridge has power (digital controls are active) but no cooling on ac or Auto. As far as I know the Norcold has never been turned on (this was the 1st time the 2011 mpg left storage for camping)! Anything simple to check or is this going to be more $? Richard :confused:

priorguy

Turn the fridge on for a couple of days. It can take a while to start cooling if not used in a while.

Also, try running on propane as this could work faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigmaho

If you were running on propane there is probably air in the line. Usually after 3 attempts to start it will shut itself off. There is a mode mentioned in the manual for starting it when there is air in the line. Do you have the manual? If not I'll find mine and write back with details.

rle9599

I have not tried propane - just "ac" and "auto" settings. I'll try propane next time I take it out (weekend of 01/25 weather permitting).

rle9599

OK, refer is up and running. The heating elements were "locked out" and the "board" had to be reset ($115). Really - Norcold can't "design in" a reset switch? I've read posts giving instructions for "resetting the board" but isn't there a more permanent / user friendly fix?

danemayer

OK, refer is up and running. The heating elements were "locked out" and the "board" had to be reset ($115). Really - Norcold can't "design in" a reset switch? I've read posts giving instructions for "resetting the board" but isn't there a more permanent / user friendly fix?
The lock out and secret reset are intended to protect the cooling unit. If you were able to constantly override the lock out, you might end up paying 10 or 15 times as much to replace a damaged cooling unit. Unfortunately there are also some conditions that trigger the lockout where the cooling unit is not in danger. Better safe than sorry?

rle9599

If it "locks out" again I'm going to replace the dang thing with a conventional "AC only" refer! I have sleep apnea, sleep with a C-PAP breathing machine (requires ac power) so I will ALWAYS have "shore" power (no boondoggling).