Voyager wireless camera on Cyclone 4100

blrover1

Hello,
I just purchased a 2014 Cyclone 4100 king ordered from Heartland with custom paint. I am going to install a Voyager wireless camera in the back above the garage ramp door & awning & tap off the power from the center tail clearance light. For people that have mounted this camera on their Cyclone are you mounting it above or below the center clearence light ? I think it would get a better signal above the light but didn't know if the light from the clearance light would affect your view.
Thanks

danemayer

Hi blrover1,

Congratulations on your new Cyclone and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We've got a great bunch of friendly and helpful people here and I'm sure some of them will jump in to give you advice.

vakthund

Hare you mounting it above or below the center clearence light ? I think it would get a better signal above the light but didn't know if the light from the clearance light would affect your view
Congrats on the new Cyclone. I have a 3800 and the same camera. I mounted it above the center light (actually on top of the rear cap). The light does not interfere at all but I am having some trouble with choppy video. I suspect I need to improve the ground plane to improve the signal but I have not had a chance to play with it yet. When I bought the camper (went from tents to Cyclone) I though this was a must have but I rarely even bother with it now. When parking I send the wife back there and she is better than any camera. She provides a great quantity of advice when I'm backing in. They say a picture is worth a thousand words but they have not met her. :)

blrover1

Hello vakthund,
I started camping just last year with a 2013 Redwood 36RL fifth wheel & loved it but needed more room for my two kids instead of them taking over the living room, so when I saw a Road Warrior at a show I liked it then went to the dealer & saw the Cyclone 4100 King I decided to order that. I had the Voyager camera on my Redwood & thought it was so much easier then keep getting out of the truck when moving around my driveway by myself I bought one for the Cyclone. At campsites my wife helps me but since it has a microphone it is easier to hear her instead of using radios. Thanks for the advice on location.

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
Congrats on the new Cyclone !!! When do you plan to take ownership ? Back at the 2011 Ny rally we had 3 Cyclones join us in Hickory Hills CG in Bath. Come on spring !!!

scottyb

Hello,
I just purchased a 2014 Cyclone 4100 king ordered from Heartland with custom paint. I am going to install a Voyager wireless camera in the back above the garage ramp door & awning & tap off the power from the center tail clearance light. For people that have mounted this camera on their Cyclone are you mounting it above or below the center clearence light ? I think it would get a better signal above the light but didn't know if the light from the clearance light would affect your view.
Thanks

Congratulations on your 4100. Full body paint? I will be interested to see how the Voyager works on your 4100. Does it require 12V to power it or is it battery powered?

I though this was a must have but I rarely even bother with it now. When parking I send the wife back there and she is better than any camera. She provides a great quantity of advice when I'm backing in. They say a picture is worth a thousand words but they have not met her.

This thought has crossed my mind also. I think I would find it most useful when driving, to see who/what is directly behind me. Even with the mirrors extended, there is a huge blind spot back there.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have the Voyager rear camera on our Landmark (came with it factory installed). It is handy if backing into a site. It does help some on the road but really if you can see a vehicle in the display they are really pretty close to you. (tailgating?) And yes it does work off of 12 volts and is wireles. I love it.

TXTiger

Wish Voyager had a 3 camera wireless system also. I know they have 3 camera systems but the two side cameras are not wireless and I don't need any more wires to plug in or unplug when i hitch or unhitch.

porthole

Retired
Tony, it is not that much of an issue to plug in a camera harness. I bought one of the 4 camera kits at Goshen. The cord between the trailer and the truck takes seconds to connect.

That said, for me, the the side cameras were a waste of time, money and energy spent installing them.
The rear camera is the double unit. That works pretty good. I can see straight down & back with one half the unit (from the ramp springs out about 6') and with the 2nd half I can see from about 30' back a 1/4 mile or so.

I can tell you that with the distance cam I can see that there is a truck behind me, but I cannot tell you if it is a Ford, Dodge or GM.
If a tractor trailer several hundred feet behind, me I cannot tell if it is a cab over or conventional. Even colors are diffult. Obviusoly white or black vehicles stand out. But at any distance - for example gray, shades on either side of gray look the same. E.G. Gray, black dark blue etc.

It is good to just let me see what I could not see before.

scottyb

Do you feel the advantage of having it is worth the effort and expense to install it? Would you do it again or would you spend the money on something else?

porthole

Retired
Do you feel the advantage of having it is worth the effort and expense to install it? Would you do it again or would you spend the money on something else?

You asking me Scott?

Side cams - no.
Double rear - as long as I was in the wire channels why not. If I bought another toy hauler tomorrow one of the things I would do is wire the rear flood lights to the reverse lights. So as long as I was running wires may as well run the video coax.

I don't think the wireless tech that meets my standards is here yet. But when it is I'd probably go that route.

Bang for the buck though - is low.
If the video quality was better I would think differntly. I was hoping it would be on par with the Ford's back up cam, which is excellent. At best, what I have is VCR quality.