Scratches on wheels??

wingfoot

I have some very small scratches on some of my wheels (2008 3400RE). I was wondering if I could clear-coat these scratches for some positive results? None of these scratches are into the metal...all seem to be surface scratches..any suggestion?

Larry

jnbhobe

I have never had any luck doing it to car wheels, but they are usually corroded from salt.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Larry, what wheels do you have? Are they the Series 06? On our 07 there are some lines that appear to be scratches but are actually thin lines of corrosion under the clear coat. I can't imagine it would be an easy task to repair.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Are you sure they aren't cracks? Or the beginning of cracks? If you can, post a picture. Tredit warrants the wheels for life, so if there is cracking, you can get a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wingfoot

Larry, what wheels do you have? Are they the Series 06? On our 07 there are some lines that appear to be scratches but are actually thin lines of corrosion under the clear coat. I can't imagine it would be an easy task to repair.

After seeing a post here on cracked wheels, I checked mine very closely and I don't believe I've got any cracks. It actually looks like something caustic got on the wheels and ran down the wheel..There is no evidence of any white powder as a result of corrosion.
What I planned to use is a small brush something about the size of a finger nail polish-brush.

View attachment T02 wheel.pdfNear as I can tell, my wheels are TO2
click for larger view

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Spider web looking "cracks" are most likely what's called filiform corrosion. It occurs under the clear coat in aluminum wherever corrosives have gotten under it. Like sharp profiles, bolt hole seats and scratches through the coating (like wheel weight mounts). Not easily (if at all) repaired by DIY.

marvmarcy

Can the clear coat be removed with a solvent? Then the wheels could be buffed and recoated. My wheels (one in particular) are looking bad and should be repaired. It is all under the coating and there are no scratches or visible breaks in the coating.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Marv, no, solvent wont take off the OEM "powder coating". A custom wheel shop can have the coating removed and repowder coat the wheels. Ain't cheap though.

TravelTiger

My wheels (one in particular) are looking bad and should be repaired. It is all under the coating and there are no scratches or visible breaks in the coating.

You might contact Tredit about this. Maybe a mfg defect in the clearcoating process? They might be able to send you new wheels.

JohnDar

You might contact Tredit about this. Maybe a mfg defect in the clearcoating process? They might be able to send you new wheels.

Perhaps, but it would result in a significant number of wheels being affected if that's the case. Usually, a process defect results in a number of defective parts.

Back to the OP, where do these "cracks" appear? Photos would be interesting.

TravelTiger

I guess I had a vague memory of this thread: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/24146-Aluminum-Wheels?highlight=clearcoat

Last post was of someone stating Tredit replaced all 4 of theirs.

JohnDar

OK, so it's worth a try calling Tredit. They may be dealing with it on a case by case basis, based on where the corrosion is occurring. The spots in the photos you linked to represent what I said about sharp profiles.

While we're at it, here's a tip if you keep losing air from tires on aluminum wheels. Check the bead seat for corrosion. The tire lube, if it's been cheaply thickened with salt can give you problems if the clear coat inside it is damaged during tire mounting. Experience from an old failure analysis/vendor losing their contract.

wingfoot

Perhaps, but it would result in a significant number of wheels being affected if that's the case. Usually, a process defect results in a number of defective parts.

Back to the OP, where do these "cracks" appear? Photos would be interesting.

John, someone has poster pictures on the forum depicting wheels cracking ....The photos I've seen have all been on the spokes and near as I can tell, there wheels were the same as mine. The cracks the I've seen are all on the spokes in a perpendicular configuration..

TravelTiger

Here is another pic from a different post in jan 2011....
9a8udy4y.jpg

TravelTiger

One more thread: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/9875-Cracked-aluminum-rim

JohnDar

No doubt that those photos show cracking of the cast aluminum. In the one's from Wingfoot, the short lines that run perpendicular from the crack illustrate filiform corrosion under the breached clear coat. In those photos, the corrosion is a by-product of the casting failure, not the cause. For the most part, the filiform corrosion is superficial and cosmetic. It does not cause structural failure. Casting defects, such as voids, cold shuts or inclusions, usually are the culprits.

If those were my wheels, I'd be on the warpath, too.