Need experiences - DRW vs SRW, Long vs Short bed

DougAndJudy

We need a new truck for hauling our Landmark (ours was stolen over the Holidays - another story...). We like Ford diesels and you will probably not change our minds on that. We have had 2 F350s over our 5th wheeling lifetime. Both were duallys with crew cabs and long beds. We've got a couple of weeks before we can get an insurance check, so I thought I would get a feel for what other forum members have experienced. A 2-door, SRW, short bed would certainly make parking our 5er easier, not to mention not having to park at Walmart as far from the doors as we can get... What have you found regarding the bed size, dual or single rear wheels and crew cab or 2 door. BTW, we're looking at 2011 or newer. Thanks!

MTPockets

You have experience with DRW, and with the Landmark, based on cargo capacities, the DRW is really what I feel you need. We had F350 SRW and it towed fine, but was never comfortable knowing I Was 600 lbs. under capacity; so, we got the DRW. It's our daily driver and love it. Even better when towing and keeping extra fuel tank and tool box in bed.

JanAndBill

DRW, Long Bed. Love the ride when towing, stable as a rock, even with wind. It's a little stiff when not towing, but I prefer the stiffer ride. Parking lots are another story, but I've learned that walking to the store from the outer parking spaces is good exercise.

pegmikef

DRW, Long Bed. Love the ride when towing, stable as a rock, even with wind. It's a little stiff when not towing, but I prefer the stiffer ride. Parking lots are another story, but I've learned that walking to the store from the outer parking spaces is good exercise.

X2 on above

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My DRW is my daily driver and I love it. Easiest way to park in a lot is to back it into a slot on the perimeter.

wehavefun

Not a Ford fan, but if you are you are.

As long as your happy that makes all the difference. A crew cab, dually with 8 ft box will make your ride smooth and enjoyable.

I vote long bed DRW!

dhdhhl

I tow a 2014 Landmark with a 2008 F350 DRW crew cab. Towing is fantastic. Crew cab takes a lot of room to turn. Parking at stores way in the back.I would rather give up closer parking for stable towing.

bdb2047

If you are considering a 2011 or newer Ford DRW look at a F450 turning radius is much better than F350. For me the DRW is the only choice, which ever make. Just more comfortable towing any larger trailer.

wino2

A F350 DRW pullers my Landmark just fine. Keep in mind if you go with a F450, it is classified as a commercial vehicle for insurance purposes. Good luck with your choice.

travlingman

I vote DRW crew cab long bed. Dually gives you more weight capacity, stability. Crew cab for the interior room, leg if you are taller, and inside storage of cab if you need while traviling or go shopping. Long bed because you get the bigger diesel tank, more milage before stops, more bed storage and no need to worry about a slider hitch.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Keep in mind if you go with a F450, it is classified as a commercial vehicle for insurance purposes.

I found this out after we bought ours. Lucky for us, in Wyoming it cost less to insure our 450 than if we bought a 350. It may be worth a phone call to your insurance agent.

bdb2047

Don't know about all areas but I do not need commercial insurance on my F450. The new F450 and 350 have same GVWR usually is one thing they consider for insurance. I now have GEICO and it is less money than F350 I had.

alex00

I didn't know you could still buy a 2dr truck :). But seriously, I'd consider a crew cab just for the potential resale value. As a two time dually owner, I'd also toss my DRW vote into the mix. Outside of couples without kids and strictly work trucks, most people want a crew cab to tote the family around. I bet you'd have a much tougher time selling a 2dr later on down the road. But, if you plan to drive it until the wheels fall off...

I've had both short bed SRW and long bed DRW 4x4's. All were crew cabs. Could never go back to SRW or a short bed. Crew cab DRW have the best of both worlds with people and cargo. Can't ask for a much better ride for a truck, especially with a little weight in the back.

Eddhuy

A couple things I don't like about DRW but then I also tow a trailer with GVWR under 15K. I don't like their performance in the snow and getting mud out of the inner rim can be a pain at times leaving the wheels out of balance. Now this is not considering the advantage mentioned above. On the lighter 5th wheel I don't think the DRW would offer any advantages over a SRW. I have great towing, better mileage and fantastic stability, even in the wind. If DRW offers a bigger fuel tank, that would be the exception.

caissiel

1. The SRW to be able to carry the pin load and registered for total GVWR.

2. Most F350 SRW have the capacity by allowing the springs deflection increase by the OEM installed taller blocks. It does not help stability. Air bags is not the solution as authorities will then determine the truck is actually overloaded. I added 2000 lbs spring pack capacity to carry my unit 24/7 and every time I am asked about air bags I say no and they move me on. Stability also depends mostly on the springs packs and mine work great.

3. I have 3.73 ratio and 18 in wheels and towing our 15k unit is just right at 65 mph. My programmed torque is very similar to the new Fords and I am sure that lower ratio would not do well with me.

4. SRW trucks have many owners advantages like easy tire rotations, shorter wheelbase, less weight for more trailer capacity with limited GCWR, parking ability, women love them to. DRW for me is a man thing. We tend to want bigger then the neighbor.

Not me I am for the right truck for the application. And mine has been setup right for what I use it for.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

dave10a

I got the F350 SRW which has done a great job pulling my Landmark. I have 15,000 mile on the trailer pulling coast to coast and I don't feel a DRW is necessary for a 16,250 GVW trailer. Of course I have the max suspension Ford offers with no after market suspension components-- I have Traileair with a Reese 20k hitch. The new Ford, GM and dodge SRW truck will do just fine. One of the reasons I bought the Landmark is that it is light enough to be pulled with a SRW. Oh yes the weights are in Ford's specs' for a SRW crew cab with a 6.7 according to the CAT scales. To me a dually for this trailer is not needed.

MTPockets

I got the F350 SRW which has done a great job pulling my Landmark. I have 15,000 mile on the trailer pulling coast to coast and I don't feel a DRW is necessary for a 16,250 GVW trailer. Of course I have the max suspension Ford offers with no after market suspension components-- I have Traileair with a Reese 20k hitch. The new Ford, GM and dodge SRW truck will do just fine. One of the reasons I bought the Landmark is that it is light enough to be pulled with a SRW. Oh yes the weights are in Ford's specs' for a SRW crew cab with a 6.7 according to the CAT scales. To me a dually for this trailer is not needed.
I guess it all depends on how much 'stuff' you have packed. When I had my SRW King Ranch, Cat scales had me over by close to 600 lbs. 3400 lb. loaded pin weight, plus truck passengers, aux fuel tank, tool box, all added up to being over. SRW tires limit to about 7300 lbs. subtrack rear axle scale load and that's all you got left for pin weight. If scales say you're OK, go for it.

RollingWhiteThunder

Dave & Shelly
This is what we use to tow with and it's not commercial, 2007 Sterling MDT. GVW of truck is 19,000lbs. Just have to class it as non-commercial when you register/insure it.
Sterling.jpg Crop.jpg

Attachments

• Sterling.jpg Crop__1389293563_192.12.184.7.jpg
    Sterling.jpg Crop__1389293563_192.12.184.7.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I know you mentioned 2-dr. But what about your in-cab "stuff"? We carry a small cooler, a sack with snacks and travel-info, our electronics, and our kitties in their carrier, all across the "back-seat" of our extended-cab dually. We will likely look at a crew-cab for the next truck, for more room. Also the extended-cab is a little tight on leg-room when guests ride with us somewhere.