factory tailgate with 5th wheel cutout?

BandK

I was recently in south Texas and saw a dodge ram with what appeared to be a factory tailgate with a cutout. Has anyone seen one of these? I am wondering if it is a custom job or if you can purchase these?

thank you

alex00

I first saw it on the Long Hauler concept truck. That's pretty cool you saw it in person. I have been unable to find an actual link to the part number. No one at my local dealership seems to know what I am talking about when I ask. I'd love to find one of these. My guess is it would be pretty pricey though. I thought about trying to make one out of a takeoff tailgate, but that's a $500 gamble I'm not willing to take right now. I've seen Ram marketing use a picture of one on a red truck, and the blue long hauler. There are a few different cutout sizes in the pictures.

Google Image Search

BandK

Wish I could have taken a picture. It had the smaller cutout and was very well done if it was not factory.Thanks for the reply. I will keep looking. I damaged my tailgate and will probably have to buy one of the louvered gates.

alex00

RM013_003_bed.jpg6a00d83451b3c669e201630447cca8970d.jpgDodge-Ram-Long-Hauler-2.jpg

On edit: Here are a few different versions I have seen on the interwebs.

Post up in the thread if you find a factory one. I really like the look of the factory gate with a cutout. I've seen a few pictures of home made ones. I realized that those people had way more skill than I.

Last edited:

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
View attachment 28065View attachment 28066View attachment 28067

On edit: Here are a few different versions I have seen on the interwebs.

Post up in the thread if you find a factory one. I really like the look of the factory gate with a cutout. I've seen a few pictures of home made ones. I realized that those people had way more skill than I.

Nice but I don't want to lose my man step. Lol. DW loves it. So much so that when it got stolen in Nola we filed on insurance to replace it as it cost almost $4k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gebills

The back dually with the smaller cutout looks absolutely great, although, once the RV is unhooked and we drive here and there to shop and sight-seeing, I would loose the ability to close my accordion bed cover to lock/secure anything stored in the bed of the truck. I suppose I value the asset of securing the bed when not pulling more than the inconvenience of flipping the tailgate down when hooking/unhooking. Thanks for the pics though.

porthole

Retired
to replace it as it cost almost $4k

My partner at work just picked up two complete 8' truckbeds with tailgates (camera and step) for $2000.
Local truck shop that does utility bodies.

The back dually with the smaller cutout looks absolutely great, although, once the RV is unhooked and we drive here and there to shop and sight-seeing, I would loose the ability to close my accordion bed cover to lock/secure anything stored in the bed of the truck. I suppose I value the asset of securing the bed when not pulling more than the inconvenience of flipping the tailgate down when hooking/unhooking. Thanks for the pics though.

Somewhere in the last several years I saw a tailgate with the cutout in a factory door, with a plug that filled the opening when not needed.

priorguy

The cutout means you never forget to drop the tailgate and will not dent it with the kingpin when hooking/unhooking. All the flow through gates have it. I think some would prefer a factory look and ability to secure with a bed cover.

alex00

For giggles I picked up a used tailgate off of a '12 Ram today for $100. It was dented on the top, right in the area that I will cut out. For a $100 I figured it was worth the shot to see if I can make this thing look like the pictures. I'll try to remember to take pictures along the way. Best case is I end up with a decent fiver tail gate, worst case I run out of talent and give it to someone that can make it look good.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
So, how do you lower the tailgate? The handle mechanism is usually in the center of the tailgate, but you are removing that portion. Am I missing something? Maybe having the cutout, you no longer need the functionality of opening/closing the gate?

alex00

So, how do you lower the tailgate? The handle mechanism is usually in the center of the tailgate, but you are removing that portion. Am I missing something? Maybe having the cutout, you no longer need the functionality of opening/closing the gate?

That's one of the first things I'll need to tackle. Once I get inside the tailgate, I can see how easy it will be to interrupt the handle with, I assume, two new handles on the back side of the tail gate. I am envisioning handles very similar to the baggage slam door latches to activate the release jaws on either side of the tail gate.

No matter what it needs to latch because this thing won't be on full time. Truly I don't have a functional need for it. I just think it looks neat, and the challenge is part of the fun.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
That's one of the first things I'll need to tackle. Once I get inside the tailgate, I can see how easy it will be to interrupt the handle with, I assume, two new handles on the back side of the tail gate. I am envisioning handles very similar to the baggage slam door latches to activate the release jaws on either side of the tail gate.

No matter what it needs to latch because this thing won't be on full time. Truly I don't have a functional need for it. I just think it looks neat, and the challenge is part of the fun.

Take lots of pics! It does look like a neat challenge.

tboy

Take lots of pics! It does look like a neat challenge.

I am in the process of turning my factory Ford tailgate into a fifth wheel cut out tailgate, I did all the cutting today and it came out great, I will be finishing it tomorrow, no body work involved , when it is done it will look like a factory job. I will try to post pictures of it when done.

priorguy

Can't wait to see a picture. Was it difficult to rework the handle and latch mechanism?

alex00

I am in the process of turning my factory Ford tailgate into a fifth wheel cut out tailgate, I did all the cutting today and it came out great, I will be finishing it tomorrow, no body work involved , when it is done it will look like a factory job. I will try to post pictures of it when done.

I can't wait to see pictures. I still haven't started mine. What did you use to do the cutting, plasma cutter or wheel? When you say no body work, I'm super curious.

jdamude

Hi Tboy,

can an you give us an update on your tailgate modifications?

I have 2014 f250 and want to do the same.

Thanks
Jeff

tboy

I will get some pictures on tomorrow if I can figure how to put them on, the tailgate came out great. I have been getting a lot of good comments on it. I was even asked to pull over so a 5ver could check it out.