A little solar advice

Kblock108

I have a 2011 33QB and looking to add solar for an up coming summer trip, we anticipate about a week of dry camping. We normally don't dry camp, but we would like the option to in the future. I started to explore the option after considering a Honda generator and weighing the costs. I do not have an inverter and really looking to power basic items, like the fridge, fans maybe, microwave and at most 3 TV's. Can someone suggest a brand, size etc? We have a 4 year old and a 3 year old, having the option to store food while traveling sounds by using the solar sounds very nice. Thanks in advance

dewwood

This is just my opinion but here goes. If you are just going to use it occasionally I would advise getting the generator and perhaps additional battery storage. You usually would need a generator even with solar panels, think cloudy days. The generator is something you can use with the rv or at home or for remote jobs where electricity is needed. The fridge will run on propane to keep food safe and the generator could power some appliances. If you are wanting to run the ac then you will need a big enough generator for that.

brianharrison

I concur with dewwood - once a solar system is fully priced out and installed the price is very comparable to a generator, Honda 2000 EU or otherwise. A solar system will only recharge batteryies to power 12V devices; add on the cost of an inverter and it is even more.

From your description, a one-and-awhile, dry camping trip, powering some 120V devices - a generator should be cheaper. You can sell the generator in the future if your dry camping does not continue. A solar system is not as easy to sell, once installed, and used.

My thoughts.

PS - There are good 12V coolers that can be used to store food while travelling; as well your fridge in the trailer can be run on LP while travelling.

Brian

wdk450

Plan on running your generator about 4 hours each morning (at least) if your batteries have been used much during the evening/night, It takes a long time time to recharge even partially discharged batteries. In fact, when I move from RV park to RV park, It takes about 3 days for the remote indicator on my Progressive 9260 Converter/Charger to indicate that the battery system is fully charged again.

If you DO get an inverter, plan on using it for SHORT (less than 5 minutes) uses on high-current stuff like microwaves or toasters. The 12 volt amp draw from your batteries for something like that can be 100-150 amps continuously. Also, I would recommend a "Pure Sine Wave" inverter that is more expensive and less efficient (more waste power) than the "modified sine wave" types. A lot of modern electronics in microwaves, computers, TV's don't like modified sine wave power.

BTW, I am changing my mind about boondocking and solar power and have a 240 watt, 5 foot by 3 foot, residential solar panel that I have not yet installed, a controller for it, and installed wiring that I can probably pull out pretty easily, if you are interested. Although we are both Californians, most likely we are 500 miles apart. You (or anyone) can PM me if you are interested. I am planning right now to be near Bakersfield for the month of February, if that helps. I could bring the panel along.

priorguy

If you only plan on boon docking once in a while you wouldn't need to spend Honda dollars on a generator. You could go with a less expensive or even used generator. If you enjoy it you could upgrade later or if you don't you're not out much money and can sell it. My two cents and my plan also.

Researched solar and by the time you buy all the necessary parts it's cheaper to have a generator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kblock108

I appreciate all the info, I think I will in fact go with a gen to have the flexibility to use it at home too.

caissiel

I installed a 200 watts solar system for $500.
It's the best thing I ever done for my batteries.
My generator has not been used since though we carry it for cloudy days.

We started running the generator 2 hrs per day, then on to 4 hrs and batteries never saw full charge even when on the road for hrs.

The most I ever saw was 23 amps charge at 13.6 volts using truck or converter with low batteries. And as batteries get charged it drops.
So using the MPPT controler at 14 amp capacity and 14.6 volts for more then 4 hrs was my choice.
I was right we never needed the generator and I see my batteries charged to full capacity most days. We just conserve a bit on cloudy days.

For us that travel lots on winter months and boondock a lot at festivals in the summer it sure beats having to run a power plant all day.

Plus we were able to store the BC in Louisiana for christmas holiday season for one month and we used 40 lbs of propane by the fridge and furnace and the solar panels kept the batteries charged. The unit was never exposed to less then 40f.
Walked in the unit on return on a cold day and the voltage was 14.6 at 5 pm.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

evolvingpowercat

I bought an 80 watt solar panel and solar charge controller from Amazon.com and built a solar system for under $ 200. This does a battery charge rate of 4 amp-hours when there is sun on the panel. I have LED lighting to minimize the evening load on the battery. The load of the refrigerator control board and propane leak detector sensor in the Edge is about 5 amp-hours a day. The propane furnace in the Edge uses about 5 amp-hours per hour it runs. Mine cycled on and off in Yellowstone when I was dry camping.

I also ran my generator for 1 hour each morning to cook breakfast in the 110 volt convection oven most mornings. I also had a inverter that I could fire up to watch TV occasionally. Bottom line I could go days at a time without running the generator thanks to the solar panel.

danemayer

Anyone care to draw a diagram of your solar system identifying each component and its source and showing how you have it wired together and into the RV.

caissiel

Bought the complete 200 watts RV kit. 2 x 100 panels, MPPT controler, meter remote display, HD #10 wires included
From www.SOLARENERGYDC.

Panels wired in parallel with special #10 wire run down the closet wall to storage where controler is installed 3 ft from batteries.
Meter is installed in panel/switches area.
Meter indicates
1. Solar load and voltage
2. Battery voltage and drain or charging load.
3. Load voltage, amperage and accumulated watts.

I have a 300 watt inverter feed from the controler load thus metering the drain on batteries for 120 volts LED TVs and computers

The kits are the same units that are used all over specially along the highways supplying power to run safety lights and illuminated signboards

nfrierson

When you say you ran the wire down the closet wall, did you go directly through the roof or did you have a vent of other access you came through? We are getting ready to install a panel on our Bighorn 3370RK. Several have commented that they ran wiring through a vent - does that mean inside the vent or through a hole made beside the vent pipe?

alex00

When you say you ran the wire down the closet wall, did you go directly through the roof or did you have a vent of other access you came through? We are getting ready to install a panel on our Bighorn 3370RK. Several have commented that they ran wiring through a vent - does that mean inside the vent or through a hole made beside the vent pipe?
I cannot speak to the OP's particular setup, but the way I have seen it done using the vent is to drop into the actual vent tube. Inside the basement, you place a tee union in the pipe and fish the wire out of the tee. it saves you having to drill into the roof, but only works if your plumbing runs into the right spot for your install.

caissiel

I ran my wires beside the vent pipe that was smaller then the vent cap kit.
That way the wires are outside the pipe and go through the vent without a hole in the roof

marvmarcy

Look at this site for lots of great rv info, including solar and inverter configurations: jackdanmayer.com.

We dry camp most of the winter in Key West, FL, so this is my personal experience:

I previously installed a Magnum 2812 inverter with four large deep cycle 6V batteries and a 30A subpanel to power selected circuits in the fiver. I then changed all lighting to LED. I used two Honda 2000s to charge all batteries (2-12V house and 4-6V inverter), running the generators four hours in the evening (more than enough time to fully recharge all batteries).

I recently bought a 200w solar kit to provide daytime charge to the inverter batteries. The solar provides so much power that I have cut my gas use in the generators in half (from about $8 to $4 per day). I mounted the panels on a homemade pvc pipe rack that sits on the ground and is easy to move and adjust for optimum power. The panels, pwm charge contoller, all wiring and the rack cost less than $400.

We run the toaster in the morning, microwave at noon and keep power on the computer and wifi much of the day. I start the generators at 6PM for dinner and evening of tv; now turn off one generator at 6:15, then the other generator goes off at 10PM (more than enough time for a full recharge). The two 12V house batteries only charge off the generator and can easily last 24hrs running two fantastic fans, LED lights and other minor draws, so no need for solar on them.

I hope this give some insight and helps your decision.

Bohemian

With 2 6V batteries in series the 2 batteries will always charge and discharge equally. Short of leakage through the cases there is no alternate path for the electrons.With 2 12V batteries in parallel you need to have two identical batteries from the same manufacturing batch and same usage history to minimize the differences between the 2 batteries. The 2 batteries will always be different and one battery will be "stronger" than the other. One battery will tend to parasitically discharge the other battery leading to an earlier loss of capacity and ultimate failure.Simply, one can usually expect better performance and longer life from 2 6V batteries in series. The better the manufacturer the less the difference, but there is always a difference.

dave10a

I installed two 100 watt solar panels, charge controller, 4 12v AGM batteries and a 3000w remote controlled modified sine wave inverter that is connected to the transfer switch in place of the generator. The MSW inverter works fine for everything on the trailer including the microwave. The true sine wave inverter would be more expensive and will not work any better--- it is hard to justify the cost difference. because none of my stuff requires a true sine wave to function properly. I have a 3500 watt generator, but as it turns out I have never really needed it because the solar panels have always kept up with the load. However, if I needed the an air conditioner beyond what my batteries will handle the generator would be required. The batteries have a capacity so I could run the a/c for some time before running them down. Another reason I have never used the generator for charging is I also have dual alternator option which supplies approx 350 amps. So the batteries charge nicely while traveling.
My next project is to install a small grid tied inverter for when I am connected to shore power that is metered when I snow bird.

Bohemian

What kind of current do you get from the TV to the battery bank in the trailer? How is it hooked up?

dave10a

It is hooked up through the 7 pin connector which also supplies the charging power only when the truck is running. The Ford service manual says there are 2 communication lines that control each alternator independently. The secondary alternator is kept in standby until the primary alternator has reached maximum capacity. At that point, the secondary alternator starts to output current in parallel with the primary unit. Plenty of current is available at the 7 pin connector and is limited by the wire size to the trailer battery. Heartland seems to use minimal wire sizes through out. The Ford and Heartland wire size seem to be the same--- I have not increased the wire size and it does charge the 4 batteries well when they are half charged after traveling and of course the 2 100watt solar panels are also pumping in power to the batteries during the day as well. So that total results in a lot a charging power. Some day I might measure the current, but things are doing well so I'll settle for a beer in stead.