What the h...?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Here I was reading the forum and new posts when all of a sudden a 'pop-up' appeared from Heartland.org asking me to fill out a survey. The survey ended with a number of ads and coupons asking me to buy something. What the heck is this and when did it start?

danemayer

Jim,

I'm not seeing any popups, but if others are I'm sure they'll chime in shortly. In the meantime, you might want to run a virus check and an adware check on your computer in case you've got a local problem.

olcoon

I've seen this on several different sites, but NEVER seen it on the Heartland forum or Heartland's site. I hate those!!!

linuxkidd

I can personally guarantee that no one has setup any pop-up ads on the HeartlandOwners.org site.

I can also guarantee that HeartlandOwners has no affiliation with 'heartland.org' mentioned above.

The usual way this occurs is if you have malware in your computer and/or browser that is monitoring what you're doing and provides ads based on your actions.

Please see our Heartland Owners Manuals section and download our Internet Security Tips (Download Link). In the linked PDF, go to the section titled "Security Improvements to Clean Up Infections and Protect You".

This will walk you through removal of most common bugs and bad things.

LK

Last edited:

jimtoo

Jim,

If you have updated any program or downloaded something new you might have something embedded in your browser bar. About a month ago I was told I needed to update something,, don't remember which now.. but I did and got something like that. I finally found it hiding in the browser bar and had a hard time getting it out.

Jim M

dbear

You may have the dreaded"bettersurf" virus. It attaches itself to almost anything andimmediately begins to inundate your browsing with all kinds of annoying popupsthat for some reason are not considered “popups” by your filters. It can evenopen up your browser at will. Google Chrome seems very susceptible to gettingit. I managed to get rid of mine when my company IT folks updated the OS fromXP to Windows 7. I also did not re-install Google Chrome. Here's more info:https://www.google.com/#q=bettersurf+removal

jmgratz

I can personally guarantee that no one has setup any pop-up ads on the HeartlandOwners.org site.

I can also guarantee that HeartlandOwners has no affiliation with 'heartland.org' mentioned above.

The usual way this occurs is if you have malware in your computer and/or browser that is monitoring what you're doing and provides ads based on your actions.

Please see our Heartland Owners Manuals section and download our Internet Security Tips (Download Link). In the linked PDF, go to the section titled "Security Improvements to Clean Up Infections and Protect You".

This will walk you through removal of most common bugs and bad things.

LK

Thanks,
I will do some more checking because lately I have been getting alot of unsolicited ads and thought I might have some Malware or Adware that sneeked in. I have and do use McAfee but these seem to squeek by. I will look into this further.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Two very helpful programs in cleaning up unwanted software are Malwarebytes and CCleaner Both are available in free versions that work quite well and should be used one after the other.

jmgratz

After checking my laptop with PC Cleaner Pro I found 4 instances of Adware. I ran the cleaner and the ads have quit (so far). Adware out to be illegal. Guess that what it was. Thanks LinuxKid for reminding me what the issue was.