re-visiting 110 outlet ideas

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
I have had the chance to spend some time in the new (5 week old ) 3055 unit and thought I had figured out a way to add a couple of outlets. But, I was wrong. I'd like to have a 110 outlet close to the floor on the back side of the kitchen sink and without doing a lot of carpentry. Has anyone added an outlet there and where did you tie-in for power? The only place I can find is behind the fireplace, and I don't really think I should be messin' with that line.

SmokeyBare

Our BigHorn is a 3400RL... but I have installed two outlets on the back side of the sink. I cut two holes... above the doors but below the counter top. One is next to the counter top extension. The Second is close to the back wall. I use one for a coffee pot against the wall... the Toaster sits on the counter top extension when we make breakfast.

Both outlets are run off one circuit which I ran from a new breaker in the electrical box around behind the steps, under the refrigerator, behind the drawers... then I used wire ties to the water lines... to get behind the sink area.... from there... I attached to the first outlet... and then from that one to the second Outlet. The Outlet boxes were the type with plastic wings that secure them to the wood panel.

Really was simple... Heck I even cut the holes for the outlet boxes... with a razor knife. If you worry about being close to the sink... make sure the first outlet is a Ground Fault Circuit (GFI). The second need only be a standard outlet. Easy job !!!

cgunn

110 volt outlets??

Just by reading your statements about 110 volt outlets......
How many are in the kitchen area for stuff???
Coffee maker,toasters... or anything else???
I'm picking up my Bighorn tomorrow and you guys
have me wondering about this......

thanks....charlie

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Just by reading your statements about 110 volt outlets......
How many are in the kitchen area for stuff???
Coffee maker,toasters... or anything else???
I'm picking up my Bighorn tomorrow and you guys
have me wondering about this......

thanks....charlie

Our 3400 only has one on the underside of the wall cabinets. I've been wanting to do exactly as Marv did but have gotten around to it:D.

cgunn

110 volt outlets??

We are picking up our first 5er tomorrow and we can't wait....
It is a 2008-3055RL.........
I have been reading so much stuff on this .
forum that my "head is bustin open"
like Buckwheat used to say.......charlie

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
Thanks for the input(s). The 3055 has the outlets under the suspended cabinets at the far end, over the edge of the sink, and really awkward for plugging in stuff. I'll get back in the unit in a few days while I'm in Dallas (Ugh!). It will be simple to cut the holes for the outlet, but I may run a new line from an open breaker position as you described. There's plenty of room to work from doors on either side of the sink area Thanks again, and if I can get a few pictures, I'll include them. Maybe the factory will read this and opt for at least one extra outlet at the bottom of the cabinet.
Thanks again.

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
oops, forgot to add. CGunn, you may be surprised when you take delivery. Yours may be a 2009 like ours was. We ordered in the last of October and took delivery on December 1. VIN and paperwork all indicated '09. We were told that ours was one of the first off the '09 line with the new bedroom TV area change and new cable and tv connectors in outside area.

cgunn

Well unless they switched it out it is a 2008-3055Rl...
We picked it out off the lot a couple of weeks ago...
We went down there to pretty much buy a 2980RL Montana..
I was convinced after all the shopping around I have done
over the last six months or so that Montana was what we wanted
until I saw the Bighorn. They had these two 5ers sitting right next
to each other. I bet I went in and out of both of them 25 times.
We fell in love with the Bighorn and couldn't pass it up.
The dealer had just recently started selling the Heartlands.
It didn't take much selling to get me on the Heartland Band Wagon.

charlie