Sony surround sound system

remoandiris

Anyone know of a receiver to replace the stock Sony system that plays Blu Ray but includes the receiver's capabilities; surround sound, cable, etc?

Garypowell

Best buy used to carry models similar to what was in our Bighorn but what I saw was not Blue Ray. In our current rig I simply added a Blue Ray player.

Garypowell

I plugged mine directly into the TV with the HDMI cable that the Sony was using for DVD. At least this HDMI caries sound too...it is my understanding that maybe earlier versions did I not.

But out once the sound is to the TV the optical cable from the TV caries the sound to the Sony for use with its speakers.

Besides wanting to to use blue rays (sometimes that is all red box will have) I had another motivation. Since we do Directv we were always fiddling with something so I decided to use a programmable remote. It does not recognize the Sony system as having a DVD player. So having a separate player means we only use the Sony for sound....and the Harmony remote will control that part of the system.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
We also went with adding a Bluray player and used an HDMI cable for our connections. We have one for each of our two televisions and they work great! In addition, they have built in wi-fi and we use our iphone as a hotspot and stream movies off of Netflix too.

Rod Ditrich

alex00

In my SOB trailer I used a Samsung "Home Theater in a Box". It came with speakers, that I didn't use, but it was a direct replacement for the all in one DVD player. It has a 5.1 receiver and blu ray player. I think I paid $250-$300 at Best Buy last summer. I will be taking it out and putting it in the new trailer as soon as it gets here.

Searching Amazon and the like for "home theater in a box" will get you pointed in the right direction. I wouldn't bother trying to find one without speakers. They all come with them now. It was still cheaper by about a $100 to buy this than a stand alone blu ray and 5.1 reciever, even with the speakers I won't use.

Here's a link to what I bought.