Water in Beaver Tail

mixie57

With the rear door down and the patio in place, if it rains, we get water in our beaver tail. Is there a way to seal this to prevent water from getting in and rusting out the compartment?

scottyb

Weather stripping would be your best bet. Also, a drain plug in the bottom of the tool box would be nice. My 1st outing was a mud bowl due to a tropical storm. When I got home I used a hose to wash out the garage and a lot of water got in the tool box. I was difficult to get it all out. Now I try not to use water unless it is just a wet mop.

Lynn1130

There is no seal, at least on mine. Thus water enters if you wash out the garage or in your case expose it to rain. I did the same thing with washing out the garage floor and now don't do more than wet mop it.

I found that by putting down tarps and then driving the quads in I can keep a good majority of the slop off of the floor.

Last edited:

remoandiris

With the rear door down and the patio in place, if it rains, we get water in our beaver tail. Is there a way to seal this to prevent water from getting in and rusting out the compartment?

Are you implying the water flows across the patio and gets into the beavertail storage bin? Unless the gap between the patio and unit is non-existent and the unit is nose down, that isn't possible. Water won't flow uphill.

My storage bin is not water tight. I can see light coming thru in some spots. Weather stripping around the bin door would likely help. No doubt it will have to be replaced periodically due to the weight of the door.

Lynn1130

I have never left the ramp down when it was raining but I would guess that considering the location of the bins (very back of the garage) that rain could get in pretty easily.

mixie57

The 3-season door doesn't seal and if it rains in the direction of the 3-season doors, it gets in, even with the unit level. Rain pops up all the time in Florida; we don't put the ramp up just for rain. Pretty sure one of the 3 seasons includes rain. Of course, you wouldn't think that with all the gaps around the 3-seasons door.

remoandiris

The 3-season door doesn't seal and if it rains in the direction of the 3-season doors, it gets in, even with the unit level. Rain pops up all the time in Florida; we don't put the ramp up just for rain. Pretty sure one of the 3 seasons includes rain. Of course, you wouldn't think that with all the gaps around the 3-seasons door.

I am thankful that is not one of the myriad of problems with my unit. Perhaps another workaround, besides the weather stripping, would be to put beavertail items in watertight boxes and drill a few drain holes in the bottom sheetmetal. At least water would drain instead of sitting there. You could also drill the holes then getting a Rhino-lining or similar coating on the inside of the compartment. There is at least 1 DIY kit available online. No, not ideal but better than rusting out. Shouldn't have to do it, but QC doesn't appear to be high on the list of factory priorities.

scottyb

I don't think the 3 season or the toolbox was meant to be watertight, more water, cold, and mosquito resistant. Sounds like there is some wind involve to blow the water into the toolbox. If you can't make the toolbox watertight, you may consider treating it as such and don't keep anything in it that is sensitive to moisture. I use it like I do my deck storage box at home and store items like my gas grill cover, etc. I drilled a hole in it and use a marine plug as a stopper to keep water out while traveling, but as a drain if it gets in when it rains or when I hose out the garage.

Personally, I would have preferred the roll down screen, but the 3 season doors were already on my rig when i bought it. It almost came off when I 1st purchased it, because it reduces my 12' garage down to 11' and my Mule is 10' 10".