Question about parking in Town Center parking lot

Ladiver

I need to bring my rig to work with me tomorrow, but I have no place to park in our companies parking lot. We are attached to a Town Center though! I have seen big trucks and busses parked their for a few hours at a time. I need to park there all day (7-4:30). I can't find any signs that say no, but I don't want to assume either. I have e-mailed the property management company, but they have not replied. Do you think it would be the responsibility of Target (the closest store to the parking) to grant me permission?

What have you all done when needing to park your rig for 8-9 hours?

Thanks,

Jeff

marvmarcy

The one time we needed that in our 35+ yrs of rving, it was at a Walmart store near Charleston, SC. We asked to see the store manager and explained what we wanted to do. He approved our leaving the rv in the farthest corner for the day, but it couldn't be there overnight. That was 10 yrs ago and things have changed some, but I would start by asking the manager of the major store close by.

Ladiver

Thanks Marv. I just ran over there on my lunch hour and explained the situation to the manager. She called a few people, then called me back. Same as your experience. Just asked me to park as far from the entry as possible. The manager tomorrow will have my cell number and call if there is a problem.

porthole

Retired
Do you think it would be the responsibility of Target (the closest store to the parking) to grant me permission?

I wouldn't think any private property would "have" to grant you permission. But what have you got to lose with asking?

We parked, actually camped at the Hilton in Orange County, NY (next to Orange County Choppers) for the 2011 9-11 Motorcycle Rally.

Granted, the hotel was one of the event sponsors, but camping in a Hilton parking lot is not an everyday affair.

Attachments

• 9-11_Rally_09-11-11_003_b.jpg
    9-11_Rally_09-11-11_003_b.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 78

danemayer

I've heard that a lot of California municipalities are very hostile to RV parking other than in RV parks or storage lots.

marvmarcy

I think most businesses, municipalities, and law enforcement readily differentiate between daytime parking and overnighting. However, some places prohibit large vehicles like semi trucks and rvs from even entering the area (most are posted as such). It is smart to get permission rather than assume.

Ladiver

So, the property managers said absolutely not and they would have my trailer towed. The manager at Target spoke with their facilities people. They actually own the parking lot and had no problem with it. So, I parked there without incident.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
That can go either way - one of our FD sayings is "don't ask the question you might not like the answer to"

In this situation, not asking ahead of time might result in one asking why there is a large wrecker dragging their trailer away. Or why is this big ticket in my mailbox for illegal parking. I'll stick with the "better safe than sorry" approach.

priorguy

I had a friend ask a manager of a Walmart store. He thanked him for asking and advised him where to park for being clear if traffic as well as best surveillance camera coverage in case of any incident. Sometimes asking for permission can get you privileged information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

So, the property managers said absolutely not and they would have my trailer towed. The manager at Target spoke with their facilities people. They actually own the parking lot and had no problem with it. So, I parked there without incident.

Once, somewhere in the SE I think, I needed fuel and pulled off to get it but was not able to maneuver into a gas station. It was full of school buses fueling up. I pulled into a strip mall lot next door and parked at the perimeter, out of the way of everyone/everything. As I was unhitching to go next door to fuel up, a man in a Jeep zoomed up and asked what I was doing. I explained I needed fuel badly and could not get into the station. He was NOT happy but allowed me to get fuel and leave ASAP. He was likely with the property management company for the strip mall.