Unable to open Newsletter

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Since receiving the notification via my email account I can not open the 1st. quarter Newsletter. Also, I can not open through forum route either. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Since receiving the notification via my email account I can not open the 1st. quarter Newsletter. Also, I can not open through forum route either. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

I can't open it via tapatalk but go to safari and have no problems opening it. Sorry. Can you try another web browser?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Hi murry135,

What happens when you click on the Newsletter Download Link?

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
When I click on "NEWSLETTER DOWNLINK" it opens IE and then crashes my IE. I can get in through Google however.

danemayer

When I click on "NEWSLETTER DOWNLINK" it opens IE and then crashes my IE. I can get in through Google however.
Murry,

I'll give you the same advice as I give DW: reboot and if that doesn't fix it, go back to an earlier release of IE or use another browser until Microsoft and/or Adobe fixes the problem.

oldmannj

let's all reconfigure our computers to have the privaledge of not being able to do anything on this forums format why don't we????? Seems they'd want their product to be more user friendly. It'll work if you switch to google...... it'll work if you do this......it'll work if you do that.....just fix the thing already.

Last edited by a moderator:

kowAlski631

Sounds easy to do, but with all the different browsers (& versions) out there, I can tell you as just another member it's not. A person I used to work with kept telling the IT dept to flip "the" switch whenever there was a problem. Never was that simple.

Paul & Martha

Life's too short. Live so you can say "Remember when" not "I wish I had".

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just a note from the Heartland Highlights Editor,

As time goes by in the Graphic Design and Advertising Industry (which works entirely on computers these days,) we are forced either by hardware or software requirements to upgrade to the latest and greatest, lest we cannot do work for our customers. In this case, the Newsletter is designed using Adobe InDesign, a professional page layout software, and is distributed via PDF, created by Adobe Acrobat.

Adobe has made recent improvements to the Acrobat software and the compression capabilities when creating the PDF, so the file size is more manageable and "email-able." However, this file may be dependent on the end user having a newer version of a PDF reader. Our goal is to make the Newsletter quick to download or email, so the smaller file size requirement is a priority.

I'm sorry I'm not IT, so I cannot tell anyone for sure what the incompatibility might be or how to solve it, but this is my guess.

I hope you get it working! We have a great issue this quarter!

Erika

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The newsletter opens with Google Chrome as the browser, albeit slowly. But once it does, it can be saved as a .pdf and easily read.

I switched over to IE10 and it won't open. All you get is a blank with a lined circle in the corner. But I was getting this a few days ago after switching back to IE10 from Chrome due to a glitch with Chrome not opening my Norton toolbar. IE9 was my browser until it upgraded to IE10 and problems arose with Norton, hence the earlier switch to Chrome. Norton did some remote stuff and determined that IE10 was now compatible and switched it over for me. It opened the toolbar OK, but I could not open any linked .pdf's from websites. So I went back to Chrome and it would open them. And suddenly, the Norton toolbar was back and functional. So now I'm using Chrome as the browser.

Last edited:

pegmikef

It opened just fine for me in .pdf format and I use XP and IE as a browser. No issues at all. Very nice issue Erika and contributors. Thanx, Mike

linuxkidd

let's all reconfigure our computers to have the privaledge of not being able to do anything on this forums format why don't we????? Seems they'd want their product to be more user friendly. It'll work if you switch to google...... it'll work if you do this......it'll work if you do that.....just fix the thing already.

I would absolutely LOVE it if Microsoft and/or Adobe fixed their stuff. Unfortunately, online sites (our community included) which are doing nothing but following established guidelines and policies for properly providing web-pages and other content are caught in the middle when Microsoft, Adobe, Oracle, etc... don't follow their own established rules.

So, let's ensure our rants are directed at the source of the problem, not an innocent bystander.

In this instance, since it works fine in another browser (which provides it's own internal PDF rendering), the problem is almost certainly a messed up integration of Adobe PDF Viewer within Internet Explorer. The PDF link provided in the newsletter is a standard link like any other on the internet. There's literally *nothing* that we could to to generate a crash in PDF viewer in IE on one (or very few) person's computer.

Thanks,
LK

WBG

WBGavin
The newsletter would not open for me (IE 11, Adobe 1.1.9) I deleted Adobe (from the control panel) and installed Adobe 11.0 - now it opens just fine. If you have Adobe 10.1 installed, you can not update to 11.0 from the Adobe "Help" dropdown. You have to completely uninstall it first and then do a complete download of 11.0.

Hope that helps

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired
I have been trying to open the newsletter but every time I receive a message that states I do not have permission to open. How do I obtain permission to read it? Thanks to those who work hard in putting it together.

jbeletti

Colleen,

Login with Jim's forum account. Your club membership is tied to his forum account.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

porthole

Retired
I use firefox and it is not without issues. On many PDF links (not just this forum) the "click" takes me to a new blank tab, no PDF.

Half the time I have to right click and "save target as" in order to open up the file.

So, try that Jim.

I sure do hope we never go to flash - with all those issues. Although since the big guy is all "i'd" I'm not worrying :rolleyes: