Payloads - Manufacturer Specs

MTPockets

Much is said about payloads and it's clear to me that many tow overloaded. Most, if not all, trucks of newer models, will show the maximum payload on the drivers door post. When deciding on what truck to buy, manufacturers have payload/towing specs on their web sites. These payload numbers are for a stripped down model and are the highest payload available for a bare bones truck. Example; my F350 DRW 14000 GVWR - The Ford web site says maximum payload For my truck is 6680 lbs. My door post says 5210 lbs. the difference? Factory installed 25,000 Reese hitch, spray in bed liner, King Ranch, Alum wheels, point is; don't count on the general spec sheet when making your decision - that may be why many come up light.

priorguy

Good point. The nicer the truck (more options like leather and other toys) the heavier it is. All the weight of the options is removed from the payload. Anything or anyone you put in the truck must be subtracted as well. All the extra material in the long box is deducted and the truck will carry less then the equivalent short bed. Lots more to consider then what the brochure and salesmen say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alex00

I'm not sure how the other manufacturers do it, but Ram puts together a really nice spreadsheet that is 16 pages long for the 3500 alone. It lists every available trim level, cab, bed length, engine and transmission combination, axle ratio and drive type. The payload, GVWR, max trailer weight, and a ton of other specs are all there. It was really helpful when I was deciding between trim levels, transmission types and axle ratios.

Clicky

priorguy

I just looked up the Canadian Ford towing specs although extremely detailed and informative it didn't go into that much detail bit does however tell you to check your door sticker and weigh everything. How to weigh trailer and truck on commercial scales and to take along belongings and passengers into account. Wonder if Ford USA might have the same info as RAM.

alex00

I think the Canadian and US Ford sites have a comparable chart. When I first started looking, I shopped Ford. The maximums were there, but like you said, not as detailed as Ram. It took a bit for me to find the Ram one since it was hidden on the side of their towing chart page.

When you look hard at the chart it goes to show that not all duallies are created equal. There are huge swings in payload and towing between the same bed size and trim level based on options.

priorguy

I've found lots of extra info on USA sites instead of the stripped down Canadian version. Market size is only 1/10th of the USA. Ford.ca does account for chassis, drivetrain, and axel ratios but nit trim levels like XLT, Lariat it King Ranch. Each one heavier then the next.

http://www.ford.ca/towingguides/

alex00

On the US site, the towing guide is separate for each line. It looks like the .ca site groups all the Fords into one guide. Still couldn't find much more detail in the guide from the .com site.