Midessa Boat, RV, Sport and Gun Show

scottyb

Whoa! Ector County Coliseum. That brings back memories. I spent many a Fri and Sat night hot rodding around the "Coliseum parking lot". Spent a few nights camped out there in my parents Class C during the Livestock Show & Rodeo. Our excuse was "for the security of our show animals".

HornedToad

The Sandhills Stock Show and Rodeo was the first week in January, and the RV show is the first week of February. I try to attend both every year. I used to go watch the Jackalopes play hockey at the coliseum until they change leagues.

The kids don't hang out at the coliseum anymore, they cruise up and down Andrews Hwy between University & 42nd. The drag races are out at Caprock Motorplex which you probably knew as Penwell Raceway.

scottyb

The Sandhills Stock Show and Rodeo was the first week in January, and the RV show is the first week of February. I try to attend both every year. I used to go watch the Jackalopes play hockey at the coliseum until they change leagues.

The kids don't hang out at the coliseum anymore, they cruise up and down Andrews Hwy between University & 42nd. The drag races are out at Caprock Motorplex which you probably knew as Penwell Raceway.

Do they still have the Permian Basin Oil Show? That was a big deal back in the 60's and 70's. I remember them having a full size oil derrick set up there along with several pulling units.

I have a cousin who owned Penwell Raceway for a few years. I had heard that somebody opened a new drag strip and I don't think he fared too well with it.

HornedToad

Do they still have the Permian Basin Oil Show? That was a big deal back in the 60's and 70's. I remember them having a full size oil derrick set up there along with several pulling units. I have a cousin who owned Penwell Raceway for a few years. I had heard that somebody opened a new drag strip and I don't think he fared too well with it.

The Oil Show in October is HUGE, you can't find a hotel room within 100 miles. The new technology on display is mind boggeling.

Caprock Motorplex must be doing OK, they are hosting the IHRA Summit Series, but nuthin like Penwell in it's heyday.
My favorite is the Junior Dragsters!!!

HornedToad

ZZTop with Loverboy opening (when Loverboy came out with their first album)at Ector County ... wish I could make it, but friends down from Lubbock leaving tomorrow.

Ahhhh Yes... the good ole days of Rock & Roll.

Old Hippies eyesight never fades, the just see Foreigner...

I wanna know....JPG
Foreigner at the Wagner Noël Performing Arts Center in Midland, TX on 02/07/2014,
Finale "I wanna know what love is" with chorus by the Big Spring High School Rhapsody Show Choir.

Feels like the first time.jpg
Urgent.JPG

scottyb

Ahhh yes, the memories.

MIDLAND%20DOWNS_1.JPG

HornedToad

Scotty,

In 1974 I was a freshman in high school and worked before and after school, 7 days a week, 3 seasons,
grooming racehorses for Fred Danley at Sunland Park in the winter/spring and Ruidoso Downs in the summer.
I never got to go with Fred to the fall meet in Albuquerque for the New Mexico State Fair because of school.

I use to leg up Jerry Bailey when he was an exercise boy and brushed a thoroughbred, Requested Honor,
that beat out all the quarter horses (a rare feat in those days) and won the Norgor Derby 870.

Working at the racetrack was quite an experience for my first job,
but as you know most of a grooms duties involved a pitchfork & wheelbarrow.

scottyb

Working at the racetrack was quite an experience for my first job,
but as you know most of a grooms duties involved a pitchfork & wheelbarrow.

That one made me laugh. That pitch fork wasn't pitching hay either, right? That was my 1st job too, when I was about 10 years old. Dad was the trainer in the photo and I'm up. That was only 1/2 of me (110 lbs). The other half must have been somewhere else. :cool:
We prepped a lot of horses and sent them to Ruidoso and Sunland. Dad's gone and I got out of it, but I still love going to the races in Ruidoso. Nothing like sitting in a box seat, enjoying that cool mountain air, watching the races. We also raced the Texas non-paramutual circuit and had a lot of success.